Jetta vs Octavia

Well I looked at this comparison as well although I didn't actually look at a Jetta close up. I compared the kit vs the price plus the fact that unless you went for the Sport model the 2.0 litre petrol engine wasn't available in the Jetta.

I have gone for the 2.0l Elegance with ESP, curtain airbags, light assist and multi function steering wheel (includes Maxidot) and got a really good price. I saved a fortune as against buying a Jetta and, after almost 3 months I am really pleased with my choice.

Another vote for the practicality of the Octy hatch. I stunned a friend when he was moving by piling boxes into the back (with the seats down) - I got nearly 3 times as much stuff in as he thought I would - and I won 3 pints in the bet. :D

I have done this comparison for a Golf Plus against an Octavia Elegance Estate, both with the 2 litre TDi engine and the Octy worked out over £2000 cheaper!

The new Golf Estate would be a better VW bet in my view. The spec/price for the 2 litre TDi SE model is a bit more competitive.

I have done this comparison for a Golf Plus against an Octavia Elegance Estate, both with the 2 litre TDi engine and the Octy worked out over £2000 cheaper!

The new Golf Estate would be a better VW bet in my view. The spec/price for the 2 litre TDi SE model is a bit more competitive.

The new Golf estate is a lot smaller than the Octy, there is no way near the same amount of boot space !

The new Golf estate is a lot smaller than the Octy, there is no way near the same amount of boot space !

hi

i compared them quickly

the Jetta 2008, has electric folding side mirror, the automatic stick is in the sterring weel, like the BMW-7 series

but dont have electric chair, no mp3 player, no cd changer,

But as far as I can see so far the premium is returned when you decide to sell a Jetta, not so sure on the Octavia residuals, i'm guessing they are still pretty good.

Dont have that many build issues on the Jetta tbh.

Not really no because although the percentage retained value after 3 years may be slightly greater on the Jetta since they cost more new it will cost you more over the 3 years in hard cash.

According to this http://www.whatcar.com/depreciation-index.aspx?MA=&MV=&ED_ADD=&RT=0&ED=48054&ED2=&ED3=47487&ED4=0 the Jetta will cost you £1282 more to buy and after 3 years will be worth £439 more so in effect the Jetta will actually cost you £843 more than the Octy over 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this seems an appropriate time for my first post as I have been lurking and taking stuff in.

I currently have a 56 plate Jetta 1.9tdi se company car that I inherited from my predecessor. I am in the position where I have talked my bosses into letting me change, and am just waiting for the green light to swap it out all being well for an Octavia. Probably an Elegance 1.9tdi estate.

Whilst my hobbies mean the estate is miles more practicle the Jetta does have a vast boot. As a car the Jetta is very smart to look at in SE trim at least, it is perfectly capable and drives nicely. The only real critisism I have of it is that I find it a little cramped (thats coming from my old Passat estate) and that it took me weeks to get comfortable, and I'm not a big fan of the seats still.

Personaly I can't wait to pass the Jetta on and pick up the Octavia, it just seems a more interesting vehicle, not to mention all the extras you get by comparison.

I know this isn't very objective but hope it helps.

James

Well this seems an appropriate time for my first post as I have been lurking and taking stuff in.

I currently have a 56 plate Jetta 1.9tdi se company car that I inherited from my predecessor. I am in the position where I have talked my bosses into letting me change, and am just waiting for the green light to swap it out all being well for an Octavia. Probably an Elegance 1.9tdi estate.

Whilst my hobbies mean the estate is miles more practicle the Jetta does have a vast boot. As a car the Jetta is very smart to look at in SE trim at least, it is perfectly capable and drives nicely. The only real critisism I have of it is that I find it a little cramped (thats coming from my old Passat estate) and that it took me weeks to get comfortable, and I'm not a big fan of the seats still.

Personaly I can't wait to pass the Jetta on and pick up the Octavia, it just seems a more interesting vehicle, not to mention all the extras you get by comparison.

I know this isn't very objective but hope it helps.

James

I'm not sure how much bigger you will find the Octy over the Jetta as they are both based on the Golf so you would *expect* similar sized cabins. I came from having a TT so the cabin on the Octavia has always felt cavenous!