vRS TDI opt out??

Anyone test driven the vRS TDI but then opted for a model with the 140bhp engine instead - like an Elegance or L&K?

My dealer syas that the 140 engine has smoother power delivery and is more forgiving 'round town'.

If so what are your comparisons as it will soon be time to look at replacing my 2.0TDI Elegance and I would like your thoughts on the vRS.

The vRS has a large slab of oomph lower down in the rev range, still quick for a derv though.

The 140 has a more even power delivery from about 1800rpm right up to 4000, I don't care what anyone says, it has plenty of go all the way round to the red line.

They are both fine in traffic and town driving, both have 6 speed boxes so motorways aren't a drama.

If I could choose either I would have the 170 any day (now where has SWMBO hidden her keys?) :D

Don't like the look of the new Mundano whatsoever, even with the only type of decent looking alloys on it :thumbdwn:

In my office now I have access to a 105, 140 and 170. The 140 is an excellent engine and is plenty fast enough to get you into serious trouble. I've only been driving the 170 for a few days but haven't found it to be peaky at all.

If MPG is an issue I used to get high 40s' 50's even in the 105 and currently getting very low 40s' in the 170.

And the new Mondeo is automotive blandness, seen loads today on the M1 / M62 and they just don't excite at all.

I understand your dilemma and there is a general perception that the PD 170 (as in the vRS) is a 'peaky' engine. Let me try and explain;-

If you study the power and torque curves on the graphs below (sorry, didn't have access to OEM graphs) and just look at the 'original' line, it can be seen that;-

1. the PD140 has more torque (than the PD170) at initial & very low rpm c. 1,000 to 1,500 but

2. by 2,000rpm when the turbos have come fully onto boost the PD170 is ahead.

3. Thereafter it can be seen that the PD170 has a flatter torque curve that is stronger for longer, only tailing off at 4,000 to 4,500rpm, as opposed to the PD 140 tailing off from around 3,500rpm (a feature of the piezo injectors and higher injection pressures of the PD 170).

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/octavia20tdi.pdf

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vag20tdi170.pdf

The actual figures on this, by interpreting the above graphs, are;

PD140 - 170Nm @1,000rpm, 170Nm @ 1,500rpm and 320Nm @ 2,000rpm; trailing off to 260Nm @ 4,000rpm

PD170 - 135Nm @ 1,000rpm, 160Nm @ 1,500rpm and 340Nm @ 2,000rpm; holding up to 330Nm @ 4,000rpm

Putting this into practice in an urban situation where you are likely to be using 1,250 to 2,500rpm the PD140 will seem smoother, as there is more initial pull and less of a build up in the torque available in this rev range. However, with careful and modulated throttle application (i.e. easing off as the torque builds) the PD170 can easily be driven smoothly and ultimately, on the open road, is a more satisfying engine with a broader and stronger power/torque delivery.

In my office now I have access to a 105, 140 and 170. The 140 is an excellent engine and is plenty fast enough to get you into serious trouble. I've only been driving the 170 for a few days but haven't found it to be peaky at all.

If MPG is an issue I used to get high 40s' 50's even in the 105 and currently getting very low 40s' in the 170.

And the new Mondeo is automotive blandness, seen loads today on the M1 / M62 and they just don't excite at all.

If you read my first post I know what a Octavia is like already as I've had a 2.0TDI Elegance for nearly 3 years as a company car. According to the computer it's averaged 53mpg from new.

Just considering what to go for next. Regarding the Mondeo - the Octavia's not exactly an oil painting is it? Each to their own I suppose......

On the flip side - Anyone tested the new Mondeo??

Before we changed the 150bhp fsi for the present L&K DSG pdi we had a very extended test of the new Mondeo with IIRC, the 140bhp diesel engine. The engine was quiet and much smoother than the Octavia's. However, for such a large car, I found it claustrophobic with poor forward visibilty even with the seat in its highest position; visibility to the rear was even worse. I didn't like the styling or the rather flashy interior but above all I thought that its handling was nowhere near as precise as the Octavia. I disliked it almost immediately. The build quality was reasonable but the dooors shut with a definite 'clang'.

It's very difficult to define but it didn't seem to have that air of precision and integrity that I associate with Skoda (and VAG). The Mondeo had lots of toys and would probably make most reps happy, but I didn't think it was a driver's car (if you see what I mean).

I'm getting average 5,7 l / 100 km/h on my vRS TDi. Isn't that something near 50 mpg???

Spot on - actually 49.84mpg; pretty good consumption.

My 25 mile journey to work this morning gave me just on 48mpg; but my average over a 450 mile tankful is around 42mpg at present.

I had a Vrs Tdi for a year and 26000 miles, it averaged about 45mpg over that time mostly on the motorways, unfortunately it blew it's turbo and never felt the same afterwards and started dripping a bit of oil again the other week, those were the syptoms the first time it went, so after waying things up and bearing in mind my commute comes down from 26000 miles a year to 10000 at xmas i chopped it in for a Focus ST, on the same journey the Focus is doing 28.5mpg compared to the Vrs's 45mpg and whilst the Vrs is a tidy handler and a crackin motorway car i'm finding it isn't as sharp to drive as the ST but i guess it isn't supposed to be, i enjoyed the year and it was only a loss of confidence in the car on my part that made me change.

Drove the VRS TDI loved the way it handled, got a PD140 instead due to cost and lack of a DPF.

I think Tony (Fluffmeister) has had both. He swapped his PD170 for a PD140 as the PD170 didn't come with DSG.

I think Tony (Fluffmeister) has had both. He swapped his PD170 for a PD140 as the PD170 didn't come with DSG.

"Cough" PD170 .... never owned one of the clanky DPF afflicted behemoths. I went from the finest engine in the skoda range 2.0tfsi to a PD140 with DSG. :D:D:D:D

I logged mine with Vag-Com last week and in some spirited driving mine held torque to 4.7K rpm (at a higher level than indicated on the posted graphs) :D

I can't comment on the PD170, the 140 is pretty good though, I am really happy with the DSG also with the only niggle being it's confusion on gear selection after coasting down.

Currently I am investigating ways to liberate more power in a DSG friendly way, but then at the weekend I drove my friends car, he is a salesman at the local VW place, he has a Mk5 GTI 2.0T DSG and I realised just how much I miss the power of the 2.0T :o

Whilst my 2.0 Tdi Pd 140 Elegance Estate was in getting serviced recently I had a conversation with the Salesman about whether I should exchange my car next year for the 170 vRS and he recommended getting the 2.0 Tdi Pd Elegance as I have just now with the goodies on it I have presently ( Maxi-Dot, sports suspension etc ) but having a fuel re-map at a cost of £350 boosting power up to 160 BHP.

According to him this does not affect warranty. An option!?

Whilst my 2.0 Tdi Pd 140 Elegance Estate was in getting serviced recently I had a conversation with the Salesman about whether I should exchange my car next year for the 170 vRS and he recommended getting the 2.0 Tdi Pd Elegance as I have just now with the goodies on it I have presently ( Maxi-Dot, sports suspension etc ) but having a fuel re-map at a cost of £350 boosting power up to 160 BHP.

According to him this does not affect warranty. An option!?

Well if they are happy to honour the warranty then so be it, 160bhp is quite conservative for a PD140 remap, a figure of around 170 - 180bhp with up to around 390 nm torque is fairly realistic

If you read my first post I know what a Octavia is like already as I've had a 2.0TDI Elegance for nearly 3 years as a company car. According to the computer it's averaged 53mpg from new.

Just considering what to go for next. Regarding the Mondeo - the Octavia's not exactly an oil painting is it? Each to their own I suppose......

Read your first post in it's entirety cheers.

What's your budget, are you bothered about something faster or more toys like leather and so on, MPG, Estate, Hatch or saloon?

Porsche Boxster, Peugeot Partner, Mercedes Vaneo?

would you really want a ford thats powered by the same engine as in the citroen c4? :eek:

i'd rather pay less and have a citroen with more kit in that instance! TDI PD all the way ;)

Many people regarded PSA as the best diesel engines for years!!

DAVEI... Dunno exact budget yet, whether its list price or monthly rental price. Hope to find out soon. Was considering Leon FR as I had Leon over last xmas when my Octavia engine blew up. Far better handling car than teh Octy IMHO. What's your verdict on them?

DAVEI... Dunno exact budget yet, whether its list price or monthly rental price. Hope to find out soon. Was considering Leon FR as I had Leon over last xmas when my Octavia engine blew up. Far better handling car than teh Octy IMHO. What's your verdict on them?

I'm only a week in and still giggling like a little girl when I put my foot down in a straight line :thumbup: Haven't really thrown it about much yet as i'm still getting used to it but it feels very sure footed in corners, ride is very hard and it's no where near as practical as an octavia.

FR TDi is cheaper than vRS TDi and comes with IIRC slightly more stuff as standard.

Dual Zone Air Con, Light Assist, Cruise Control, 18's, Dimming Mirror, Auto Wipers, Bluetooth inc' Maxidot type display, ESP, Curtain Airbags, TPM, MP3 CD Player, Aux in, rear parking sensors, armrest and Silver Met Paint is my spec for a P11D value of £18,900 at £303 per week over three years and 75,000 miles.

Boot is tiny compared to the octavia and I miss the sunglasses holder, the little cubby hole on the actual seats and the sat nav hideaway under the dash above your right knee.

It does help though that Seat dealers actually phone you back!

The old XUD and XUDt engines were used by many many companies including Citroen, Peugot, Rover and BMW.

The newer engines are also IMHO good, and are far quieter than the PD engine. I think the TDI has some nice sides to it, but then so does a HDI.

The focus 1.6 TDCI (110bhp) is a cracking car with a great engine IMHO.