Superb handling

Octygone

Is there any way of making the superb handle a little bettter for not much dosh and without lowering it (low enough already for around here) something like an uprated ARB for the back or strut brace etc. never seem to find too many items like this for the Superb

I've wondered about this too.

Lowering the car is out of the question for me - it grounds far too easily as it is and I would not be prepared to compromise the geometry of the front suspension (it looks pretty dire as it is). The neutral articulation of the drive shafts is another factor which mitigates against lowering, as is the requirement for "raised toe" adjustment on this set up. If the toe varies with suspension deflection, as is implied by the raised toe adjuster, the last thing you would want to do is lower it if you want optimum geometry and even tyre wear.

Stiffer dampers and springs would probably be the way to go. I believe the Passat sport may provide the items needed - I've not looked yet but will consider this when my dampers are shot.

I'm really pleased I didn't go for the V6 diesel - the extra weight in the nose ahead of the front axle is about the last thing this car needs, as I found when I test drove one. Then there is the price of fuel...

The B5.5 is not a very clever design from a handling point of view, although I'd say the Superb handles better than the equivalent Passat due to its longer wheelbase. I don't think there's much to be done - otherwise VAG would have done it. It also tramlines pretty badly on 205 section tyres so it's at the limit there (old design). The newer VAG vehicles in this size group are transverse. It's a really good motorway cruiser though - which in my case is an important part of its job.

rotodiesel.

B5.5 Passat bits are the answer here.

No need to lower, but FSD dampers will make all the difference. However, they are about £400 + fitting. I'll be fitting Eibach springs at some stage as these were an optional upgrade on the Passat anyway. :)

Audi A6 brackets and S4 strut brace bar can be adapted to fit... I may even do a group buy on these in the near future, certainly under £70. I'm looking into getting a local blacksmiths to drill the necessary holes through the bar... Just a thought. :)

The Superb already has ARBs front and rear, so the £200 odd for upgraded bars such as the neuspeed don't seem very convincing.

You guys do make me laugh on here saying that the current ride height of the Superb causes grounding problems.......you must be joking.....it's all relative to your driving style IMHO.......

As for drive-shafts, CV Boots, etc......my car can't be a Superb because these have not caused me any problems and mine is on the floor......well nearly.....

If lowering is not your 'bag' then I am currently looking at these:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/media/neuspeedcat1.pdf

Having spoken with another Superb owner that has got them to fit these seem like a logical product to fit.....

You guys do make me laugh on here saying that the current ride height of the Superb causes grounding problems.......you must be joking.....it's all relative to your driving style IMHO.......

Not down to driving style it's all down to where I want to go ......and round here I ground it at least once a week.....on normal roads :eek: thats without driving to work over large speed humps ( you could have all four wheels off the ground at the same time if you tried it in yours)

used to have a VRs octy estate and had to sell it as I couldn't go anywhere ....I think the planners around here assume everyone has a 4X4

I think all it needs is a larger ARB at the rear for now

Hey Bake.. At you cars highest setting, how far is it off the floor from the base of the car to the deck?

Highest setting? I have no idea mate.......only have it on the lowest......LOL!!!

You should worry, I live in remote Fenland where the roads are more like small hills. The land may be flat, but the roads are certainly not. I used to have a Saxo VTR that was so low it wouldn't even go up multi storey car parks. The Superb has no problems with my roads (or my multi storeys lol)

Commute is country lanes, M40, A40, North Circular and N London A roads. All feel like they were last repaired by the Luftwaffe. Tried BMW & Audi but the ride day in day out would drive you nuts. With the Superb you just glide over it all so big thumbs up for the suspension & handling.

:thumbup:

My Passat doesn't ground because its low, it grounds because the suspension is so bouncy. I'm confident that lowering it on some Eibach springs, combined with FSD dampers will result in a smoother ride and far superior handling with no greater risk of grounding. :)

My Superb grounds because the damned thing is built too close to the ground - especially at the front. Try it down an unmade road with two deep wheel tracks in it.

rotodiesel.

LOL....I really do wonder sometimes why you own a Superb......