Replacement Coilover springs

Johnny50

Currently have 2 broken springs at the front of my Octy vRS which is on coilovers.

Previous owner cant remember what manufacturer they are, and they're unbranded when you look at them.

Anyone know if there's anywhere that sells just springs ?

Otherwise it's buying a full new kit for the car.

Although i have the option just to go back to standard, as i've got a full set of standard springs/shocks on stanby from another Briskoda member.

Thanks

Johnny.

Hey Sarah...

Rather helpfully...there's nowt on them !

Got a strange/bad feeling they may be a cheap TA-Technix kit of something similar, as the previous owner got them from ebay(german).

It's just a pain, as all the shocks are fine, it's just 2 springs i need for it's MOT.

Not that it's any help, but heres what they look like.

20112007505.jpg

20112007506.jpg

20112007507.jpg

I have jusy had a chat with the helpfull guys at weitec and they are very helpfull

They could possibly match them for you if you could get the length of the spring off the car I am afraid and the poundage

They chatge approx £38.00 per spring too

So not too bad , but they will need that info :( sorry

Sarah

Thanks a lot Sarah.

What i'm going to do is put original springs/shocks on in the meantime.

That'll get the car up and running safely, then i can get a proper look at the fronts, and see about getting the springs replaced from there.

Anyway of telling what the poundage would be ?

I have not got a clue

But if they are off I am sure we could get something sorted

I have just been in touch with KW again , bless they are helpfull

They said if you are taking them off and you measure it , we could provide some springs to their specification and see how you go

As both the fronts are being done , it may not be too bad?

The choice is down to you

But there could be some small letters on the springs to give poundage , have a look when you get them off ;)

sarah

Yep, thanks very much.

Will get the pressure washer onto them.

Just thinking, do all coilovers have different poundage ?

As i'm sure if i replaced them with ones that were suitable for an Octy, they would be fine ?

Oh i like to cause trouble ! :D

The poundage of a spring relates to the force (in pounds, lbs) required to move the spring a certain distance (I think its an inch but could be wrong) so if its for the same car its probably about the same poundage as your broken ones.

Heavier spring, car sits a little higher and rides firmer. Softer spring and car sags a little more and softer ride.

Unless each manufacturer has a very different idea about how heavy the spring should be you should be ok.

I'm sure Weitec know more than I and will sort you out just adding my two penneth. :)

I had noticed ;)

But hey I thought that with replacing both the fronts , for your car should be OK :confused: but hey I have been wrong before

Sarah

It would be fine just replacing the fronts Sarah, but because i'm going back to standard springs in the meantime, i dont want it sitting high at the front, and low at the back.

I'm not going to bother replacing the rear struts, not much point when the spring is seperate. Just the springs.

Got them whipped out on friday night, nothing at all on them to identify what they are.

But they were well broken ! Completely no tension on the springs at all...they were just loose !

Now back on standard front springs/struts, and standard rear springs until i can get something sorted.

Car feels weird !!

I saw an advert for Spax coilover kits in a mag over the w/e. The body colour's about right, but if they're the Spax units there should be decals or stickers (or remains of) on at least one body, and visible screw adjusters (probably only affecting the bump travel) on the bodies too.

Thanks Ken.

There's absolultey nothing on them at all.

I forgot to take a few pics lastnight, but i'll post them up now they're clean.

Although, there's a manufacture/model code on the rear springs, so maybe someone will recognise it.

Thanks Ken.

There's absolultey nothing on them at all.

I forgot to take a few pics lastnight, but i'll post them up now they're clean.

Although, there's a manufacture/model code on the rear springs, so maybe someone will recognise it.

Put it up mate

Then I can check with the suppliers

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Woodie.

Sarah, cheers for that Mrs. :)

Guess i should measure them up and see what i need.

Any ideas on the preferred rate ?

no probs squire!

as for rate- down to personal preference to a certain extent.

obiously has to be sufficient to support the weight of the front or rear of the vehicle.

surely someone will be along to advise how to calculate springrates etc....