I cant believe i put petrol in my VRS

mrmicp

well as the title suggests i put in about 8-9 gallons of petrol in my beloved VRS fabia (limited edition) drove it about 400 yards and the engine just cut out completely at which point i figured what i had done doh doh and triple doh!!

So anywho, i disconnected the battery then i emptied the car of petrol. Cleaned the pump of petrol blew all the lines free of petrol. Then fitted a new fuel filter and put about 3-4 gallons of diesel in then as advised turned the ignition on and off 3 times to prime the pump. Well after doing all this the car wont start it just keeps turning over and over but not catching. This whole process took me about 72 hours so i was wondering if by disconnecting the battery i have somehow buggered the immoblizer. Any help would be much appreciated as i have reached the end of my technical ability and at the moment have a very expensive ornament sat on my drive.

Any help would be great thanks in advance

Are you sure there is no air in the pipes that you disconnected.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that on a diesel engine you need to bleed all the pipes of air, which is what Stu is implying I think?:confused:

I'm not hugely knowledgable on the Fabia fuel system however I do know it is a high pressure system so I would think it possible that if you turn it over for a short while it would hopefully clear any trapped air.

been turning it over for a while now, flattened the battery and and had to link it up to another battery but no luck just keeps on turning and not catching. So if turning it over for a while will clear out any air then i can safely say theres no air in the pipes :)

last thing i want to do is take it to the skoda dealership as they will void warranty on parts affected and bill me massively :(

So if anyone knows of a good mechanic up carlisle way then let me know please

if you have any spare diesel , pull the T-piece connector out of the top of the fuel filter and tip the diesel in to fill the filter up , then try to start it

the PD fuel system is pretty robust and generally doesn't give problems after petrol has been used

if you have any spare diesel , pull the T-piece connector out of the top of the fuel filter and tip the diesel in to fill the filter up , then try to start it

the PD fuel system is pretty robust and generally doesn't give problems after petrol has been used

This is what the garage will do and charge you a fortune for, something ive had to do at least 3 times a week on company vehicles when the drivers use to forget to fill up and decided to run the vehicles on fumes. Once this is filled it will take a couple of turns and off it will go!! :thumbup:

Thanks for all you help so far:thumbup:, we are going to try filing the filter up with diesel and keep our fingers crossed. Just want to clear up one thing though, if the battery is disconnected for a long period of time will I not need to reset the keys/immobiliser or should it not make any difference once linked back up?

Will keep you all updated as to how we get :)

Firstly a big thanks to everyone!!! My VRS is now up and running and its smoooooth....

Just like to document what happened so if anyone does this the can get reassurance and maybe a bit of help:

First filled up a nearly empty tank with petrol, drove it approx 400-500 yards and the engine just cut out completely, so got towed home by the AA man:O

Started by disconnecting the battery then removing the fuel filter under the rear seats as per haynes manual then syphoned as much fuel out as possible then mopped the rest up with kitchen roll :)

Then removed the fuel filter and blew down all the connecting lines and was very surprised how much fuel still came out of the fuel pump lines.

Put in new fuel filter cleaned out the fuel pump and filled the pump up with diesel.

Fitted everything back together and tried to start but no joy just kept on turning over and over till battery died then called it a night.

Today removed the T piece from the fuel filter with the intention to fill with fuel but it was already full with fuel (which told me the pump was operational) so jump started the car off another diesel and after about 10 minutes (no joke) it finally kicked in to life :D

So i think by blowing all the lines clear there was air in the system as previously stated but it did take ALOT of turing over to clear the lines of air.

The moral of the story is dont fill you diesel up with petrol :P but if you do then the chances are if you did what i did you will be fine!! Dont listen to garages and people telling you that your car is wrecked and will cost thousands (thats how they make there money)!!

Thanks once again.....

sorry guys, just one more thing before i sign off for the night. Cos the battery has been disconnected its asking for a code it says "safe" then comes up asking to enter a 4 digit code. In the owners manual it says the radio doesnt need a code as it will recognize the car???? Strange but true... its not major as will take it to the skoda garage but thought someone might have an idea perhaps..

sorry guys, just one more thing before i sign off for the night. Cos the battery has been disconnected its asking for a code it says "safe" then comes up asking to enter a 4 digit code. In the owners manual it says the radio doesnt need a code as it will recognize the car???? Strange but true... its not major as will take it to the skoda garage but thought someone might have an idea perhaps..

Odd that, when I brought my new vRS I asked the Sales Dude about the radio code and he said it doesnt have one as its nearly impossible to remove the radio and its no good in anybody elses car - yet the manual does say it requires a code which would be supplied by your dealer...

Glad you are all sorted. The radio code should have been sent by the ECU, if it doesnt it is possible that the radio has been changed at some point. To get the code you will need to go to the dealer, take your V5 and driving license with you because skoda HQ will want to have proof of ownership before releasing the code to the dealer.