Noisy brakes when reversing

C.J.

Looked on advanced search for answer,with no result

Why when reversing slowly inthe fab vrs,the brakes make a horrible moaning noise,that is without touching the pedal too. My next door neighbours astra does it. He reckons it's the friction material on the pads. I dunno. Any offers.Am I just gonna have to put up with it? C.J.

This has long been the bain of VAG cars. As I mentioned before Audi had the remedy in fitting some bushes to the rear calipers, this canceled out the resonance caused.

I looked into getting the kit but the part number is no longer supplied.

Colin' date='

Some info in this thread..

[url']http://www.briskoda.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7132&highlight=reversing[/url]

Well done geoff :) just been rumaging in the archives again,with limited success. Might mention it to the dealer and the possible cure with the copper grease. Don't know how you put up with it all day tom.Does sound gruesome dunnit? C.J.

ps havn't forgotten the wheels tom,just trying to find the time for a trip to pie country,what with work etc!

This has long been the bain of VAG cars. As I mentioned before Audi had the remedy in fitting some bushes to the rear calipers' date=' this canceled out the resonance caused.

I looked into getting the kit but the part number is no longer supplied.[/quote']

Vauxhall too it seems! So it's resonance then. Can remotely see where the copper grease cure may play a hand then. C.J

The sound that you are hearing is the ABS testing itself. That's what it says in teh instruction manual anyway. Why it is more noticable when reversing is anyone's guess.

Andrew you have your wires crossed. That is another problem which only happens when you first start off. C.J's problem, as a common fault with VAG cars that only happens when you go in reverse and is a creaking sound rather than a judder.

Andy,don't understand that one...Testing itself? Testing for what? I'll check the manual out though. It's not making the noise this morning. Very odd. C.J.

Testing itself to make sure that if you break in a hurry you're not going to die! As Rooboy says though, I'm probably talking a load of old tosh trying to relate it to your problem though. If it's not what I thought it was, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MINE TOO!!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. been reading your posts on here for a while, and finally just picked up my octavia vrs last week so thanks for all the advice (although not intended directly for me it stil helped :D )

im having the same problem with the brakes making a god-awful moaning sound in reverse (sometimes when not even on the brake pedal!)

local dealer tells me this is a common problem to which there is a cure for the fabia, but not the octavia, and i should just "live with it". Except its so bloody loud you can hear me reversing from 2 blocks away!

somebody told me the bushes replacement for the fabia may work for the octavia also, has anybody tried this out? or has anyone actualy found a cure for this noise?

sounds like my ockys crying for help! :(

any advice would be greatly apprectiated as my local dealer (and also dealer who supplied the car) couldnt seem to give a toss! (Speaking of which, has anybody else found the aftersales service for all Skoda dealers to be absolutely abysmal or is that just me?!)

Cheers guys,

Joel

They arent bushes they are dampers that attatch to the calipers.

But as said they arent type approved for the Octavia and dont seem to have the same sucess rate. By all means give them a go, but I dont think you'll get them under warranty. There are supposed to be modified pads in the pipe line but last time I checked they were in production and wont be tested as yet.