VRs Tdi low rpm engine judder

Evening all, & Merry Xmas.

I've got as VRs Tdi on an 07 plate and have done about 10K in it so far. A few weeks ago I noticed a bit of an engine judder at low RPM. It might have been happening since day 1, however since feeling it that first time, I now seem to notice it more and more.

If I gently accelerate, in any gear other than 1st, the engine 'judders' between about 1300 and 1550 RPM. It's not a violent juddering like such as when the traction control kicks in. It's more of a mild vibration feeling that comes through, and once above 1550 RPM everything runs just as you would expect.

It feels like the engine mapping gives a bit of a 'flat spot' at this RPM, and misses a few beats etc.

It's not giving me a major problem in any way, however I am thinking of taking it in the dealers to get their opinion. Before doing that I just wandered if anyone else has/is experiencing this and if so, has anything been done to get it sorted.

I would appreciate your opinion fellow VRs tdi owners!

Cheers!

I have a similar problem with my 2.0TDI 140.

between 1300 and 1500 RPM and when the engine is under high load i.e driving up a hill, there is a shuddering in the car, reminiscent of driving over rumble strips.

Seems worst in 3rd, 4th and 6th.

It's done it from day one but I will mention it on the first service which is now due.

I think my particular problem is transmission related and not the engine.

Howyis lads,my tdi140 dsg just developed this after having its flywheel replaced!! On mine it happens around 2000rpm in high gears when leaning on the Torque.I have mine remapped,this could explain the difference in the RPM.

Cheers! Sounds like exactly the same problem. I'll see what other replies come through, especially if there are some who have since had it resolved.

I'm on a 30K variable service, so another 20K from now. Hence, I'm going to get mine into the dealers early January rather than wait for the service. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Merry Xmas

Cheers! Sounds like exactly the same problem. I'll see what other replies come through, especially if there are some who have since had it resolved.

I'm on a 30K variable service, so another 20K from now. Hence, I'm going to get mine into the dealers early January rather than wait for the service. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Merry Xmas

Thanks, have a good one :thumbup:

maybe these graphs will help by showing the power/torque at appropriate revs;-

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vag20tdi170.pdf

Mine judders a bit at low revs but only when using 3/4 - full throttle, on light throttle it doesn't. I put it down to a bit of driveline vibration with all the torque going through it.

• 2 weeks later...

My VRS 170 started to develop what felt like the wheels were out of balance , and it predictably went away if you drive through it ( around 90-95 though)...what is different though is that the drumming and vibration appear to be noticeably worse under acceleration especially int he higher gears between 65 and 85..I have had 2 new tyres replaced and still the problem persists and I am beginning to suspect the drive shafts or the DMF...any suggestions?? before I take it to the dealer as I suspect they are going to be quite uninterested unless I can explain it better:(

If the problem is beyond the NSL you can kiss goodbye to any chance that Skoda will find it for themselves as they don't test cars on private roads ;)

Those kinds of speeds in top are around the peak torque band where the drive train is under a lot of stress. It's a tricky one to pin down as there are so many possible causes like the diff, gearbox, DMF, clutch, drive shafts and CV joints.

Rest assured Skoda will usually fob you off with a lame excuse unless you have a half decent dealer.

If it's the DMF you will usually get problems like shuddering when pulling off.

Off beat suggestion; could it be exhaust resonance 2,300 - 2,500rpm in top is 65-85 mph.

I dont think so..its something that has developed rather than a characteristic of the car...you can feel it through the steering as well as hear it drumming through the cabin:)

My 07 vRS has the low rev judder on part throttle. Anyone noticed that its more pronounced when you have some steering lock on? I have put it down to drivetrain take up as the turbo is spooling when it starts.

• 9 months later...

Bringing up this thread just because I haven't heard from anyone with this problem solved or with parts broken down (dead turbo, DMF...).

My 2.0 TDi 140 has started to judder between 1700 and 1900 rpm. It judders only going up the hill and accelerating through those revs. Judder is very slight, almost unnoticable. It's been like that for 1 month now, not getting better nor worse. I wouldn't point it to the clutch or DMF as pulling away is smooth as on day 1, changing gears as well.

Has anyone with this problem had it solved or got worse, or better...?

Any news or development, please.

Maybe it's nothing, I mean, there is no problem. Should I leave it as it is or I should start getting woried?

My Octy is 25 months old, 25.000km, I'm the first owner, extended waranty until October 2009.

i have a 55 130 vrs and i too have the same problem, just as you change gear and at low revs it mine seams to hold back with a slight judder and then it goes on ok, ive taken it to a dealer and they told me its a common problem, they changed a valve on a part of the engine but it seams to be no better, maybe your dealer can give you more info than mine.

in my 2.0dl I get a discernible vibration through the pedals and cabin @ 2200-2400rpm, most noticeable in 5th and 6th. Its there when accelerating gently or firmly and you can feel it when you take your foot off and it passes back through the rev band.

--any ideas or fellow sufferers?

in my 2.0dl I get a discernible vibration through the pedals and cabin @ 2200-2400rpm, most noticeable in 5th and 6th. Its there when accelerating gently or firmly and you can feel it when you take your foot off and it passes back through the rev band.

--any ideas or fellow sufferers?

Mine doesn't vibrate passing "back through the rev band", only on accelerating up the hill.

i think I have had this judder 07 vrs tdi, had a couple of times when going through a average 50 on motorway then trying to accelerate at end, usually in 6th. Feels like traction kicking in. I (possibly wrongly) put it down to too much torque slipping the clutch as too ambitiuos trying to accelarate in wrong gear.

i think I have had this judder 07 vrs tdi, had a couple of times when going through a average 50 on motorway then trying to accelerate at end, usually in 6th. Feels like traction kicking in. I (possibly wrongly) put it down to too much torque slipping the clutch as too ambitiuos trying to accelarate in wrong gear.

But, do you still have that judder on your Octy?

Mine is still juddering away to itself and it's done it for the last 59,000 miles now and hasn't changed at all really. I was worried about it initially because I had visions of a disintegrating DMF but now I just put it down to a characteristic of the car.

Hi, as I stated earlier in this thread mine started this low rev/high load judder after having a DMF replaced under warranty, that was done at 130000kms and the car now has 190000kms on it. I dont think it has got any worse so I think it may be a charectaristic of the replacement flywheel. Mine is a DSG 140 remapped to approx. 180bhp so I would say its the same problem the Vrs boys are having. The car gets serviced every 15000kms in a main dealer and they havent picked up on any problem !!! (please excuse the dodgy speelling !)

Any one considered using a little 'mechanical sympathy'; if your engine/gearbox is complaining with full throttle at low revs; why not change down a gear or use less throttle.

You know how it feels trying to cycle up a steep hill in too high a gear.

Well, all your posts are making me less woried now. Juddering I have is not that bad, I was just woried if it was going to get worse. As I see, many people have it and live with it, and it doesn't get worse.

Thanks guys.