'Lights left on' buzzer

slxtdi

Just traded in my Octavia SLXTDI with 123k miles for an 04 Ambiente 90bhp with just 52k. Bought from independent dealer at a good price - got a great trade-in. Just got it today and have noticed that the 'lights left on' buzzer does not work; or is it a case that there just isn't one?

Anyone got any clues on this. Would have thought that it was a standard feature at this stage.

I have one my 2001 Elegance. Only works on the drivers door though, so no good if you park close to a wall and climb out the passenger side (the ex can vouch for that!!!)

Mine has one... it sounds like something out of a poverty spec' 80's fiesta, though :(

:confused: What do you want? Something that says "Excuse me sir. You appear to have left your lights on. Would you mind awfully turning them off? Many thanks"?

:D

Might just be the door switches. Does the dome light turn on if you open the door?

also check that your puddle light works, the light down by the bottom of your door.

these failed at the same time on mine. mines not a vrs tho its a 1.6 petrol.

if you hold the door closed and open it slowly, does it come on at any stage as you gradually open it? if it does then the switch is dickey... i have the same problem but never bothered to fix it.

What a good idea! I might email SUK :D

:confused: What do you want? Something that says "Excuse me sir. You appear to have left your lights on. Would you mind awfully turning them off? Many thanks"?

:D

ok, so I am a driver and know little about engines or how my car works in any way!...just the basic stuff to keep it maintained....

....my light warning buzzer stopped working on my 2002 Ambiente. garage thought it was a simple job to do under warranty. they got it working only to then find various other electrical components go on the fritz including airbags.....basically the problem was relating to some electrical control unit behind the dash. I'm sure others may be able to tell me exaclty what this part was....but it was about £400 to replace!

the garage and skoda had a big argument about who should pay for it as it was just out of skoda warranty but still in the garage's warranty, but at least I didn't have to pay for it!

anyway, I hope this isn't your problem!

i had a fiddle with my door lock last night for you, the switch in question is activated as the bar is slid into the lock, you can simulate this by sliding a screwdriver shaft (sideways) gently into the lock. the lock has three states, open, slightly locked, and fully locked.

only when my driver door is slightly locking and i apply pressure towards fully open does the puddle light come on, but its very tempermental. The passenger door does not work regardless of locking state. Those micro switches built into the door seem to be completely sh*te as there are thousands of threads on audi/vw forums too about these things.

I really cba tearing down the door again just for a buzzer/puddle light. maybe you are more motivated :)

Well its not a fuse! Just noticed the dome(puddle) light comes on momentarily when the the door is just open a fraction, and wait for it , the buzzer actually works during this brief illumination! I can hear the door switch clicking on and off- light on/off- but its obviously faulty. Wouldn't mind fixing it if its not a difficult job, since i just got the car- you know the way it is. Anyone done this?

Thanks for all the follow ups.

Well its not a fuse! Just noticed the dome(puddle) light comes on momentarily when the the door is just open a fraction, and wait for it , the buzzer actually works during this brief illumination! I can hear the door switch clicking on and off- light on/off- but its obviously faulty. Wouldn't mind fixing it if its not a difficult job, since i just got the car- you know the way it is. Anyone done this?

Thanks for all the follow ups.

Have exactly the same problem here, you can either disassemble the door lock and attempt to fix the locking sensor, or replace the entire door lock. the stealers will generally replace the door lock.

In this context, I discovered that the buzzer is activated by the Continental parking lights (leave an indicator on, switch off lights and ignition, and get sidelights on the one side), to my confusion, since I knew the sidelights were off!