Mountain bikes in the Roomster

I bought the internal bike rack with my Roomster and tried it out for the first time today.

A word of warning, you will need to take at least one seat out to fit a full-sized MTB in, but I was able to do that and still have room in the back for the removed seat. However if I was going out with one bike or more I would probably leave the seats at home, although you could probably get two bikes in and leave one rear seat in.

All in all, it works quite well and I still prefer this option to having racks on the roof or the back of the car.

• 2 months later...
Wow, you didn't even have to take the front wheel off!

I was thinking then maybe I wasted my money but it looks like you could only fit one in like that?

Take the rear seats out and you could fit two in.

ive had 2 in my old roo! took the front wheels off and laid them out. i think i took the seats out as i knew there would only be 2 of us.

we have a bike carrier in one of our demos now, so i'll be testing that out soon in my furby estate :) i'll take pics just in case lol

Here are some pictures of my Towsure cycle rack. It cost £70.00, plus £15.00 for the lighting board& £10.00 for a spare number plate. It has a few rust marks as it is older than the car. You would also need a fixed (with two bolts) tow bar.

Carries three bikes easily. No need to take seats out. Full boot available & no mud in the car.

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

• 3 months later...
how did you get that bike in your car without taking the front wheel off?

is it an adult bike?

i've just tried mine and can't get the front in without the bars catching the headlining

It's an adult bike, I am 180 cm tall, my bike fits easily when I fold the rear seats to do it like the photo above... :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Tow Bar and Tow Bar Mounted racks are definatly the way forward.

I ride downhill with regular trips to Wales etc. Considering my bike is in the region of 45lb, and gets filthy muddy on every trip, I would never even consider trying to get one into my car!

Try Pendle Racks - very well built and very good.

• 1 year later...

Post script to all this! I've now sold that Towsure rack after clipping & buckling a bike wheel on a drainage ditch in a car park. The lowest wheel was within about 120mm of the ground & the wheels going into a drain gulley caused the clcle to hit the ground. Replaced it with a Thule 9503. Fits in minutes & the bikes are well off the ground. Can't tow with this rack, but then I couldn't with the nose weight limit on the old one either.

thule9503big.gif

Post script to all this! I've now sold that Towsure rack after clipping & buckling a bike wheel on a drainage ditch in a car park. The lowest wheel was within about 120mm of the ground & the wheels going into a drain gulley caused the clcle to hit the ground. Replaced it with a Thule 9503. Fits in minutes & the bikes are well off the ground. Can't tow with this rack, but then I couldn't with the nose weight limit on the old one either.

thule9503big.gif

I have one that just clamps on the towball with a sort of scissor action so I can use it with the standard removable towbar. Like the thule, I can't tow with it on though. Good point about the noseweight, I hadn't thought about that because I thought ot was only the weight of the caravan hitch that counted.

I bought it from Norauto in france but I'm sure similar would be available in the UK.

Edited by Calomax

I have one that just clamps on the towball with a sort of scissor action so I can use it with the standard removable towbar. Like the thule, I can't tow with it on though. Good point about the noseweight, I hadn't thought about that because I thought ot was only the weight of the caravan hitch that counted.

I bought it from Norauto in france but I'm sure similar would be available in the UK.

Try Indespension Ltd.