BP vs BP Ultimate vs BP Ultimate + Millers Power Sport 4 - The Results???

Ruxpin

Being the geek that i am i have calculated the mpg my Fabia vRS has achieved using the brim to brim method for most of the past 2 years and approx 50k miles.

During this time i have mainly used BP Diesel, BP Ultimate and more recently BP Ultimate with a standard dose of Millers Power Sport 4 - the results have been interesting.

My driving is a mix of B road commute and motorway runs.

Fuel Type; Mileage Covered; Average MPG

BP; 4042miles; 45.487mpg

BP Ultimate; 32408miles; 46.640mpg

BP Ultimate + Millers Power Sport 4; 6308miles; 47.578mpg

So what does this mean???

Going by today's price at my local garage BP = 109.9p, Ultimate = 113.9p and Millers is £11.49 per 500ml bottle

Based on my 25k miles per year my fuel costs and savings/increase are as follows:

Mileage; BP; BP Ultimate; Difference

25000; £2745.86; £2775.43; £-29.58

Mileage; BP; BP Ultimate + Millers; Difference

25000; £2745.86; £2721.28; £24.58

The costs are surprisingly close. It costs a little more to run BP Ultimate compared to BP but BP Ultimate and Millers gives a small saving................Obviously the results are not very scientific but real world if that term makes sense.

Anyone done anything similar?? :)

I'll leave it to someone else to work out if there is any performance increase with any of the options.....:D

Rich

*UPDATE*

Following on from this thread I switched to BP + Millers Power Sport 4. Economy was slightly better than BP Ultimate but not as good at BP Ultimate + Millers:

Fuel Type; Mileage Covered; Average MPG

BP + Millers Power Sport 4; 5314miles; 46.7371mpg

Over 25k miles I would therefore save £59.24 compared to straight BP fuel + you get the performance benefit (if there is one??)

Summary of all results below:

22101.attach

IIRC the cetane rating of diesel has an upper limit around 5 points above 'standard' forecourt stuff (any higher doesn't improve ignition or combustion). So the best gains from Millers are to be had from adding it to normal diesel rather than BP Ultimate (or Shell VPower) as both these fuels are already near the ideal diesel cetane rating.

*dammit, beaten to the punch again ;)

Aslo is the cost of the millers over the same period included in the costings or is it just the cost of the diesel?

Otherwise surely this would negate at least some, if not all of the saving

Costs shown allow for Millers.

I agree in theory that you will probably get even better benefits (financially) putting Millers in supermarket diesel.

If i can be bothered with the hassle of filling up at ASDA i will give it a try - my local one is unattended and it's nearly always out of receipt roll which i need to claim costs back from work

What was the mileage of the car when you did the tests?

As you are aware the more miles the car has (engine loosened up) the better MPG.

I also noticed better MPG running on fully synthetic oil (variable servicing) as opposed to semi synthetic (std 10k servicing)

So this info would be beneficial to know too :thumbup:

Car was at approx 20k miles when i bought it so should have been fairly loosened up??

'BP' miles were therefore approx 20-30k

'BP Ultimate' 30-60k

'BP Ultimate + Millers' 60-70k

Car was serviced with Millers PD semi synthetic oil at 30, 40, 50 and 60k

Millers fully synthetic at 70k

Tyres have always been Michelin Pilot Exaltos at standard pressures

quite an interesting thread, I ran my GP on ultimate from new, and when they recently hiked the prices up i switched to smokey 'basic' BP, to try and offset the cost (I do 900 miles a week!) it seemed to me that I was getting less mpg on the normal stuff, if your calculations are correct, (and its a nice large ammount of miles youve calculated it over) then I may as well switch back to ultimate, as the difference in costs seem negligable, if the mpg goes up enough.....

Cheers :thumbup:

I'll probably try a small bottle from Halfords or somewhere and see what it goes like in both our cars. If it's as I've read here and on a couple of other threads and gives you BP Ultimate performance and economy for 1p/litre on top of basic diesel then it's worth a punt.

• 3 months later...

Update:

I switched to BP + Millers Power Sport 4

Results now included in first post.

Not as economical as BP Ultimate + Millers but better than straight BP Ultimate and cheaper

Rich