Boost Gauge fitting

AndyD

Lol! Another quick question - I know about the grommet behind the glove box, but don't think my vacuum tubing is long enough to go through there and reach the FPR.

I've heard there's a grommet by the clutch pedal, but can't see it anywhere (I've removed the lower trim panel but still can't see it)

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Ta

Andy

Put out the panel above the pedals (few screws) and leave it open,

now look under the bonnet and behind the engine you`ll see a black rubber thingy. (seems "grommet" in English)

Put a long screwdriver trough it and (with a light) you can see it inside the car. (above the pedals)

Trough that hole I fitted the vacuumhose for my gauge.

Hope we are on "the same line" now :P

(and thanks for updating my vocabulary)

Lol! Another quick question - I know about the grommet behind the glove box, but don't think my vacuum tubing is long enough to go through there and reach the FPR.

I've heard there's a grommet by the clutch pedal, but can't see it anywhere (I've removed the lower trim panel but still can't see it)

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Ta

Andy

There's also a plastic thing across from the pollen filter. (On the drivers side ), its where the loom goes into the car, i drilled a hole here and put my vac hose through there. If you opt for this approach be careful while drilling you don't wana drill the loom.

John - already found the one behind hte glove box, but don't think my vacuum tube will reach the FPR from where I want the gauge mounted.

Snoetje - is that on a left or right-hand drive car? Couldn't see any grommets above the pedals on my RHD car?

i had mine wired up the the FPR and my mechanic when we were messing with my car stated all im getting is a fuel pressure reading not a boost reading so moved it to my DV vacuum pipe and works spot on.

P.s i think u shud move that in line fuse to a nice neat position like my pic below ;)

DSC02009.jpg

i had mine wired up the the FPR and my mechanic when we were messing with my car stated all im getting is a fuel pressure reading not a boost reading so moved it to my DV vacuum pipe and works spot on.

You what :confused::confused::)

The FPR needs boost pressure to increase the fuel rate.

It wont get the boost from the fuel rail, so it has to get the boost from that pipe. Which is why when you run 1 bar of boost, your fpr (if set to 3bar idle base pressure, which will often equate to 3.5bar) then you get 4.5bar pressure at the fpr when your turbo is putting out 1 bar.

if that makes sense?

T-piecing off it isnt causing any problems.

The FPR needs boost pressure to increase the fuel rate.

It wont get the boost from the fuel rail, so it has to get the boost from that pipe. Which is why when you run 1 bar of boost, your fpr (if set to 3bar idle base pressure, which will often equate to 3.5bar) then you get 4.5bar pressure at the fpr when your turbo is putting out 1 bar.

if that makes sense?

T-piecing off it isnt causing any problems.

Which is what I was getting at I think :)

Must type faster :D

The vacuum in the hose to the dump v/v is controlled by the n249 v/v(whatever that is)and will not read proper boost values. The place to get proper boost readings is from the pipe to the fpr.

John - already found the one behind hte glove box, but don't think my vacuum tube will reach the FPR from where I want the gauge mounted.

Snoetje - is that on a left or right-hand drive car? Couldn't see any grommets above the pedals on my RHD car?

#its not the 1 near the glove box, its the 1 on the drivers side. I am assuming its gona be mounted drivers side? i ran mine along the injector rail, up the side in through the grommet under the scutle and in the grommet. If you lift the scuttle right on the drivers corner you will see the black plastic thing with the loom entering.

I'l try getting a pic on tomorrow