How do I scrap a car?

gramee

Hi all,

Not having scrapped any cars before, I'm wondering what the process involves...

DVLA, contacting the scrappy etc....as a friends corsa is going to the great scrapyard in the sky and I have no idea what it involves...

Apologies if it's a dumb question, feel free to mock etc.... as long as I get an answer,

Cheers,

Graham

Cheers mate,

I looked on the gov site, couldn't find it.

Much appreciated. Leaving the corsa to be stolen would come under 'cruel and unusual punishment' and there's enough misery in the world.

Thank you very much again,

Graham

Metal recycling yards / metal merchants will generally give around £60-£70 a ton for cars, provided you take away the wheels again. :) One of my clients has a direct link to the DVLA so they can remove the car off the database right away (so you still need to take the logbook)

We drive some of our part exchanges down to the local scrapyard, mind you we have a bit of crashing/sledge hammer fun with them first (within reason). They usually give around £60. Get a certificate of destruction and send in the relevant part of the log book and you should be OK.

Don't mean to hijack this thread.... But when the time comes (expensive repair needed) I'm hoping to strip my car for spares and take the wheels off and leave it on bricks in the road (not binning the alloys/tyres :D).

Is this legal (it would be on the public highway legally as I don't have a drive)?

Would a scrapper that comes to pick it up be able to lift it off the bricks as opposed to needing wheels to put it up a ramp?

Don't mean to hijack this thread.... But when the time comes (expensive repair needed) I'm hoping to strip my car for spares and take the wheels off and leave it on bricks in the road (not binning the alloys/tyres :D).

Is this legal (it would be on the public highway legally as I don't have a drive)?

No, it's not legal because you can't do 'major repairs' on the public road. BUT: I've been doing seriously major stuff on my cars - engine swaps, suspension rebuilds, you name it -on the street here in Sarf Lundern for years and not a word have I heard from the plod (who are based round the corner and walk this road regularly) 'cos they're reasonable bods and understand that I don't have a drive and in practical terms I'm not getting in anyone's way. But when I left a car on blocks for a few days while I broke it (rather slowly I must admit) I got a terribly aggrieved call from the council telling me in no uncertain terms to get rid of it or they'd pick it up and bill me. Luckily there's a scrappy round the corner and I had him round here the same day.

So basically, strip it quickly, take the wheels off last thing and no, the scrappy won't need the wheels, they're used to picking up crashed cars and all have crane trucks.

Guest parsko

Use a decent scrap yard and make sure you post off the section to tell the DVLA that its been scrapped.

I did this so when the car was used later in a drive away without paying for fuel the Police, when they came calling knew the Vehicle had been disposed of by me and just wanted to know where I had taken it to.

Thanks to all for their replies. Car was dispatched with the minimum of emotion and my mate got a few quid for it. He also now thinks I know about cars.....reality is, I know more about the granular composition of the crab nebula, which is admittedly not much.

What a great community

Cheers :thumbup:

Graham