Variable Boot Floor

I also use one because I do like a flat floor extending forwards when the rear seats are folded down .

Two disadvantages -

When you need to use the spare tyre - it has to be dismantled to gain access .

If you are weight concious and seeking economy , and a flat floor is not essential - you have a considerable weight disadvantage just for a storage area within the boot . A few large Ikea waterproof bags do the job with no weight penalty .

I have one of these in my boot, came with the car when I bought it second hand. I find the flat loading area to be useful, as the lip can be annoying as things can get lodged and stuck. Also nice to have even more hidey holes to put stuff away, I use the space at the sides and in the box to house crap that I carry all the time - that way it doesn't get mixed up with stuff that I carry temporarily.

I have an estate so the space it takes up isn't really an issue. Thanks to the guy who posted the umbrella pic, I didn't realise I had that box too! This car must be great for smuggling drugs!

I have the VBF in the 4x4, extra £130 factory fitted, as above. I also have a Skoda soft boot liner which has 3 advantages. 1. It stops doggie paws going down the side. 2 It protects the boot from dirt and wet. 3. It doubles as a hammock in the back seat for the dogs - better having the dogs there and luggage in the boot, rather than vice versa!!

Obadiah, do you put the waterproof liner in ON TOP OF the VBF?? I've got both but I never use my VBF for the same reason you mentioned, that I thought my boxers feet would slip down the sides of the VBF so my liner just sits flat on the boot floor permanantly. Couldn't really get if that's what you meant. Curious whether it works with both??

Not sure I follow as mine doesn't. You just lift it up and get access to the floor underneath, and lift that up also. Granted whatever you have stowed within the confines of the VBF needs to come out, but no dismantling required.

Btw - the umbrella holder whilst being a nice design, is pointless when you've got the dog guard in place. No access from rear seats

I also use one because I do like a flat floor extending forwards when the rear seats are folded down .

Two disadvantages -

If you are weight concious and seeking economy , and a flat floor is not essential - you have a considerable weight disadvantage just for a storage area within the boot . A few large Ikea waterproof bags do the job with no weight penalty .

You're talking rubbish - you don't have to dismantle it to get to the spare tyre, and as to your 'economy' comment, I have never heard anything so silly!

Anything that adds substantial weight increases fuel consumption, especially if you are doing anything except driving at a steady speed on level roads. AFAIK the variable boot floor is made from fairly heavy particle board, so yes, it would increase fuel economy (exactly how much would be variable).

You're talking rubbish - you don't have to dismantle it to get to the spare tyre, and as to your 'economy' comment, I have never heard anything so silly!

I do apologise for taking the credit about the fact that Autoexpress recently carried an article on economy where they found that , more important than any other single factor ( aircon , roof boxes , etc ) weight was the single most important factor in economy measures .

With regard to the removal of the spare wheel , I must also apologise for not adding the word " partially " , for in actual fact you have to first of all remove the supplementary chrome tie down locks , allowing the lateral walls of the VBF to be lifted when you raise the carpet to allow access to the wheel well . The floor carpet then has to be fed back under the lateral walls before re-securing the chrome tie downs .

What it must be to be clever .......

With regard to the removal of the spare wheel , I must also apologise for not adding the word " partially " , for in actual fact you have to first of all remove the supplementary chrome tie down locks , allowing the lateral walls of the VBF to be lifted when you raise the carpet to allow access to the wheel well . The floor carpet then has to be fed back under the lateral walls before re-securing the chrome tie downs .

I've never had to remove the 'side-walls' to get to my spare - but removal of the luggage net is required, otherwise you can't lift the floor!

Unclip net, lift VBF, lift 'proper' floor carpet thing, remove spare :thumbup:

I do apologise for taking the credit about the fact that Autoexpress recently carried an article on economy where they found that , more important than any other single factor ( aircon , roof boxes , etc ) weight was the single most important factor in economy measures .

What it must be to be clever .......

I can only think the subfloor isn't right for your VBF, as on mine all I need to do is lift the top section (ie the flat floor with chrome handle) and then lift the floor to the spare wheel well.

Is your VBF a factory fit or a dealer/aftermarket one?

It was retro-fitted after purchasing the car , by the Skoda dealer , and I only paid £ 110 for it . Would a Scout boot be any different to a normal one ?

I would send you a piccy but am away from home , with the boot space loaded to the roof lining !

It was retro-fitted after purchasing the car , by the Skoda dealer , and I only paid £ 110 for it !

If it's an after fit then whoever fitted it used the original boot carpet that's why the carpet is trapped by the side walls of the VBF. The correct carpet fits between the side walls and they certainly do not have to be removed to get at the spare wheel etc. The side walls rest directly on the metal and the carpet should certainly not be trapped by them. I suggest that you go back to the dealer and get the correct carpet or you could cut the existing one.

BTW the chromium retainers (black plastic on later models) double as retaining points for the cargo net,.

Yup, he's right. Couldn't remember seeing it when I took out my VBF but there definately is a carpet shaped/sized to be lifted up within the sidewalls without it being trapped.

Obadiah, do you put the waterproof liner in ON TOP OF the VBF?? I've got both but I never use my VBF for the same reason you mentioned, that I thought my boxers feet would slip down the sides of the VBF so my liner just sits flat on the boot floor permanantly. Couldn't really get if that's what you meant. Curious whether it works with both??

Sorry Blackspaven, haven't been paying attention!! Yes, the boot liner goes on top of the VBF. Doesn't fit properly, as it is deep enough to fit the original hole, but does the job. I use the space at the sides to hide the paraphernalia of dogdom - boxes of poo bags and the like, but never have any problem with wandering paws going down there,