Fuel Cap Wont Close!!

Hi All,

I filled up with petrol today and thought I closed the fuel cap - However it wont click shut and us slightly open

I m scared some body will pour water in there during the night... :(

I ve checked the petrol open button and its definitely closed but it does not click shut.

Any ideas please?

Yup

Happened before

If you feel up to it:

1) Get in the boot

2) Tease away the material on the right side of the boot from behind plastic trim

3) Feel for the fuel filler release cable

4) It will have become unclipped from the mechanism in the filler cap

5) Reclip it in and away you go. :)

The above may only be a temporary solution, but when mine did and I did the above, it hasn't unclipped again in 2 years+

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Once again this forum has come to my rescue - my reversing lights have stopped working and whilst checking the bulbs I must have disturbed the fuel cap release cable as the cap would no longer close. One problem cracked one more to go.

For those that need more info on the replacement of the fuel cap release cable I've take a before and after photos see before:

Fuel cap release - out on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and repaired:

Fuel cap release - In on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks folks for the help - shame I haven't got any ramps so I could tackle my reversing light switch.

• 9 months later...

Can I just say thank you for this thread - mine failed about 12 months ago - and a guy at worked fixed it but wouldnt show me how he did it - but after looking at this I managed this morning to fix it myself!

Thank you

Vicki

• 1 month later...
Once again this forum has come to my rescue - my reversing lights have stopped working and whilst checking the bulbs I must have disturbed the fuel cap release cable as the cap would no longer close. One problem cracked one more to go.

For those that need more info on the replacement of the fuel cap release cable I've take a before and after photos see before:

Fuel cap release - out on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and repaired:

Fuel cap release - In on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks folks for the help - shame I haven't got any ramps so I could tackle my reversing light switch.

Thanks for providing the pics (Mike) and info (everyone) - fantastic help. Did it in less than five minutes!

I love forums!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Holy old thread bump and 1st post, 1st problem with my mk1 fabia fixed! Many thnx. :clap:  just got to sort out the back washer now, looks like its the hose under the bonnet!

Already loving this place a lot! :p

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. This advice is awesome. Can anyone help though... I have gently pulled back the lining and can see the cable detached but I don't know how to open things up without snapping lots of plastic fittings. Any tips on safely accessing the interior of the side walls?? Ideas would be great and Any photos would rock!

many many thanks everyone. 

The boot side felt/carpet has metal grippers holding it to the parcel shelf surround. These can be detached allowing the felt to be pulled away. Also remove boot carpet and spare wheel cover first to free up the bottom edge of the felt.

Might help....