Top 5 mods for a Fabia VRS

I agree with gary on this one.

The Fabia can be made into an awesome weapon.

Mine is perfect atm.

Its got the go, it stops and now it corners. I dont think there would be much stuff that could really pull from me.

My top mods now are

1). Kw suspension kit

2) stage 2 Hybrid turbo

3) forge fmic

4) jabba arb

5) 312mm brakes

but how much did that lot cost you

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rb320, I run the trackdays where oilb... & skud... had their fun, I also used to drive an Impreza and now a Fabia vRS. Without blowing my own trombone too much I'm a reasonably good driver, and on track I can keep up with Scoobs easily for a number of factors. Primarily, they're often driven badly and as such their extreme power hinders the lacklustre talents of many of their owners. Secondly, people often wax lyrical about bhp figures but brake horse power is a rotational multiplication of torque, something which diesels have plenty of, so your RB320's 332 lb/ft is quite comparable to my 312 lb/ft, especially when you consider that I don't have the resistance of a heavy 4WD system to propel. My Furby has the bare minimum of chassis mods (rear ARB) and as such is significantly lacking in the grip and handling department to my old Scoob which had most of the Litchfield/Powerstation Type 25 handling package. On a challenging Yorkshire Dales road corner entry speeds are 30-40mph lower, but in between the corners it matches the Scoob for in-gear acceleration and will sit comfortably at 90-110 on the straights. If you haven't driven a Furby then I suggest you try one, they are quite a revelation. I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as saying they are as competent as a well sorted Scoob, but they are a surprisingly good little car capable of quite amazing speeds whilst being extremely economical and retaining excellent residual value. When I sold my Scoob I vowed I'd be back, but fuel, taxation and common sense has led me to reconsider and if/when I get another serious sports car I would prefer to go for an Ariel Atom. A mate of mine bought one for £41k, ran it for 2 years and sold it for £39.5k. It could easily do 40mpg on a run and was eye-wateringly fast, dispatching Scoobs as if they were running on 1 cylinder. If you take all associated running costs into account over 2-3 years your RB320 will cost you a great deal more to own. Furby's are very good on this too, with my last one losing just £400 in value over 8 months, during which it earned me a living as a driving school car.

Our next trackday is on August 16th, where Gary, John and myself will all be running. Come along and see if we're bulls**tting you !

Dont forget about me :)

Corradoboy. Good post, very well said.

Oh and Gary cant drive :P. He may well had surprsied a few people on that day but when the heavens opened (which I hope they do again :) be it August :rolleyes:) his furby was no faster round the overall track than mine. Was interesting too see the section in which his was faster and the sections were I court up :)

hold horses how much you spent modding your fabia,im talking a stock rb320 straight out the box 4.8 secs to 60 if i spent probably what you have on your vrs do you think you would still live with it,probably wouldn't at the mo standard and to lose control of an impreza through the karusell he must have been a complete numpty,because all the suspension modding in the world wouldn't bring a fabia vrs upto impreza awd handling especially running too much power for fwd and as for skylines they may or may not wipe the floor with the impreza the arguement is why spend a gut full of money on a 12 grand car when you can buy a car straight out the box with the extra money you've splashed out and at the end of the day you dont pull any more money on it unless some one is looking for them specific mods

Did you know punctuation exists? and breathe, phew....

rb320, I run the trackdays where oilb... & skud... had their fun, I also used to drive an Impreza and now a Fabia vRS. Without blowing my own trombone too much I'm a reasonably good driver, and on track I can keep up with Scoobs easily for a number of factors. Primarily, they're often driven badly and as such their extreme power hinders the lacklustre talents of many of their owners. Secondly, people often wax lyrical about bhp figures but brake horse power is a rotational multiplication of torque, something which diesels have plenty of, so your RB320's 332 lb/ft is quite comparable to my 312 lb/ft, especially when you consider that I don't have the resistance of a heavy 4WD system to propel. My Furby has the bare minimum of chassis mods (rear ARB) and as such is significantly lacking in the grip and handling department to my old Scoob which had most of the Litchfield/Powerstation Type 25 handling package. On a challenging Yorkshire Dales road corner entry speeds are 30-40mph lower, but in between the corners it matches the Scoob for in-gear acceleration and will sit comfortably at 90-110 on the straights. If you haven't driven a Furby then I suggest you try one, they are quite a revelation. I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as saying they are as competent as a well sorted Scoob, but they are a surprisingly good little car capable of quite amazing speeds whilst being extremely economical and retaining excellent residual value. When I sold my Scoob I vowed I'd be back, but fuel, taxation and common sense has led me to reconsider and if/when I get another serious sports car I would prefer to go for an Ariel Atom. A mate of mine bought one for £41k, ran it for 2 years and sold it for £39.5k. It could easily do 40mpg on a run and was eye-wateringly fast, dispatching Scoobs as if they were running on 1 cylinder. If you take all associated running costs into account over 2-3 years your RB320 will cost you a great deal more to own. Furby's are very good on this too, with my last one losing just £400 in value over 8 months, during which it earned me a living as a driving school car.

Our next trackday is on August 16th, where Gary, John and myself will all be running. Come along and see if we're bulls**tting you !

:thumbup: Well said, although he did say he's got a vrs for work etc... so the quote "If you haven't driven a Furby then I suggest you try one, they are quite a revelation" is irrelevant lol

i've got a vrs mate,my arguement is not about what can beat what but can you justify spending thousands of pounds on a fabia which you will never pull back for instance buy new around 12000 spend 8000 getting it properly sorted you've just blown 20000 pounds on something that is still only valued at 12000 unless as i stated before someone is after the specific mods you,ve applied to the car,im not slating the car if i was i wouldn't own one just go and buy a 20000 performance car atleast you'll you aint gonna lose more cash that way

Did you know punctuation exists? and breathe, phew....

its not about punctuation love,its about spending money and not recouping your loses

KW £350

Stage 2 turbo £900 +vat

FMIC £600

312's £250 ish

plus other bits.

so all told around 2000 + pounds,if i spent that on the rb im looking at around the 360 bhp figure and probably in excess of 370 lb of torque,but at the end of the day you wont recoup the money and all this talk of my car will do this and do that,you can only do 70 mph on british motorways.

I totally disagree

A good remap is perfectly compatable with the original parts. Dont waste time and money 'preparing' your car for a remap, just get it done! A remap will add a fair bit more oomph, but don't expect it to be a ferarri.

the fabia as standard handles like a boat!!! the first priority should be getting the suspension sorted

you can only do 70 mph on british motorways.

Indeed.

For me the most cost effect power increase is just a remap (or tuning box) after that it starts to mount up and thats were I think buy a different car.

Indeed.

For me the most cost effect power increase is just a remap (or tuning box) after that it starts to mount up and thats were I think buy a different car.

now theres a man who talks a lot of sense

Agree. Remap, PD160, filter and ARB and that's it for this car. Just sit back, enjoy the performance and economy and let the bank balance rise in readiness for something better in the future.

Some interesting comments there folks.

Agree With corradoboy (Dave) :thumbup: Even Faboka was giving them scoobs a run for their money.

Bylton is a very technical track indeed, its not about going flat out all the time. Its more than that, You actually have to use some grey mater to get round quickly.

RB320- You say why bother spending money on a 12k car. Well My friend its not just about going fast...... Its about putting your own mark on a car. I know there isnt another car exactly the same as my fabia. There are a few that are similar like Its brother in bahrain (Bas's car is very similar spec (a little better than mine IIRC ;):rofl:)

Also I wouldnt want someone waking me up in the middle of the night with a bat asking for my car keys..... no one really wants to steal skodas. :D

And if anyone ever says a fabia cant be made to handle just go out for blast in garys car.... easily the best handling car ive been in for a while....

You get the Fabia right and it's brilliant. "Right" is going to be different for everyone and a lot of it is done because it can be (However I think you lot going past the basic upgrades and spending thousands are mad as it does become a real labour of love. To me that car was always a tool first then a playthin second but everyone has a different adgenda and they should follow what they feel right!!!)

I used to love track days in mine because it would easily show a clean pair of heels to a lot of other stuff you would expect to just leave you standing but part of the trick with the Fabia is getting the speed out of it, it's not an easy car to drive very quickly (And when I mean quickly I mean pulling away from a Clio Trophy on Coomb quick) it takes skill to use the torque where it matters . In it's prime mine was brilliantly balanced with just a hint of oversteer (It would even **** it's rear leg...) with brakes that you couldn't get to fade no matter what and a power band all the way up to 5300. My mods cost me less that £1500 fitted and whern done on the track, I could just change the wheels and go home, then drive 800 miles during the week on a tank and a half of fuel. And there is the beauty of the machine...If I wanted too I could buy/make a much more focused and potent track weapon for a lot less but it wouldn't be anywhere as overall useful as the fabia because I would still need another car for work.

Some interesting comments there folks.

Agree With corradoboy (Dave) :thumbup: Even Faboka was giving them scoobs a run for their money.

Bylton is a very technical track indeed, its not about going flat out all the time. Its more than that, You actually have to use some grey mater to get round quickly.

RB320- You say why bother spending money on a 12k car.

not just 12k mate any priced car

And if anyone ever says a fabia cant be made to handle just go out for blast in garys car.... easily the best handling car ive been in for a while.

you cant have been in many then fella

there's a true old saying you can make a donkey fast but he'll never be a race horse

there's a true old saying you can make a donkey fast but he'll never be a race horse

Well thats exaclty the point, why would you want a race horse to do the work of a Donkey?

you cant have been in many then fella

Are You taking the ****?

Come to the track day at blyton, Ill show you a fast donkey that eats race horse burgers for breakfast :P

Your just like the fool I saw the other day, He was thinking his M3 was King of the road. He was getting slightly concerned when I was still on his back bumper. :D

Well thats exaclty the point, why would you want a race horse to do the work of a Donkey?

Classic, You cant beat Decron For whit!

:rofl:

Another example of modding at its best is your roomster. Its not ment to be fast, yet it still can hold its own with bigger more powerful cars. Youve Tweaked the handling so it corners to your liking. Yet You still have a very practical family car. What is wrong with doing this?? ...... I tell you Nothing.:thumbup:

skud all this arguement is over is not how fast your car may or may not be its about spending a shed load of cash when you can buy something straight out the box for example my mate had an engine exported from australia to put in his suzuki swift new shape cost him a flocking fortune.engine produced 200 plus horse power but at the end of the day the car was still only worth book value and you try and get that power onto the road in a fwd,and as for m3's my scoob ****s them for breakfast and that my friend is standard so if i started modding mine it may beat your fabia that keeps up with m3's thats driven by fools but all said mate i own a vrs for what it is its a decent car but i wouldnt throw a load of cash at it,because at the end of the day their not built to take mega power somethings gonna break

For me the whole point in buying a vrs was the potential. Im 19, and couldnt afford a scooby. The fabia is cheap to run, but can also be improved a great deal, with not a great deal of money. Even so, im sure most of the scooby boys dont run them "box std" for long. Plus, another big bonus, is a derv skoda, even just keeping with any scooby, the look on there face is priceless

For me the whole point in buying a vrs was the potential. Im 19, and couldnt afford a scooby. The fabia is cheap to run, but can also be improved a great deal, with not a great deal of money. Even so, im sure most of the scooby boys dont run them "box std" for long. Plus, another big bonus, is a derv skoda, even just keeping with any scooby, the look on there face is priceless

fair comment,but to get your skoda to stay anywhere near a scooby would take how much?

i've got a standard vrs and rb320 and to get the skoda anywhere near the rb it doesnt bear thinking about the cost,you probably wouldnt anyway,thats what im trying to put across save your cash and enjoy what you got.