Brake light

The warning light came on the other day telling me that a brake light wasn't working. When I checked, there was nothing wrong. Then on Monday the warning came on again, but this time the nearside brake light wasn't working. I replaced the bulb, which didn't look blown, but that didn't cure it.

Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?

I've previously raised a similar issue on this post: http://briskoda.net/forums/superb/incorrect-bulb-failure-warnings/102762/

I never experienced a failure of the main brake lights, just intermittent on the high-level light. Just before the warranty ran out, the stealer fitted a new high-level unit and there's been no warning messages since (1 month and counting...)

:thumbup:

That would explain the warning light, but why, after replacing the bulb, does the nearside brake light not work?

Could it be something to do with the bulb holder itself?

Also, isn't the bulb warning light (on diesel cars) the same as the glow plug warning light...? To that end, could it be a glow plug problem? Obviously, if the car's not diesel or if it has Maxidot that won't apply.

Think I'll take it to the dealer and let him have a look. My technical know-how peaked when I changed the bulb. Thought it might have been a known fault and easy to fix.

A brake light switch isnt going to make one side work and the other not though. Did you put the right bulb back in?

I thought I had bought a duff bulb, so I checked it in the offside. It worked fine. So I checked the old bulb as well, that worked too.

just to let you know i had same problem in my superb......warning light came on and checked bulbs and fuses....took to dealer and it was brake switch on its way out.....replaced under warranty as car was 1yr old

By the way, the brake light switch is easy to get out of calibration if you are tall and/or have large shoes. Happened to me twice, once on Octavia, once on Superb.

It is easy to recalibrate, no tools neccessary.

I actually bought a new switch the first time it happened. But then realized that I can simply reinstall the old one and correctly calibrate it.

4 years/80k miles on and it is still working OK.

By the way, the brake light switch is easy to get out of calibration if you are tall and/or have large shoes. Happened to me twice, once on Octavia, once on Superb.

It is easy to recalibrate, no tools neccessary.

I actually bought a new switch the first time it happened. But then realized that I can simply reinstall the old one and correctly calibrate it.

4 years/80k miles on and it is still working OK.

How would I go about doing that?

Out of calibration...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, surely the term brake light switch means it's a switch? As in on/off??

It is on-off, what is calibrated is the length of the plunger before it hits the "on".

Anyway, look up the thread I posted and it is quite obvious