Intercoolers

V5-Steve

Which intercooler is best to go for, should I go for a jabba one, a forge motorsport one or an allard one. I am not sure which would be best, they are all roughly the same price but I am wondering which one is best.

The thing you have to remember is that a bigger intercooler won't increase your engine's power as such, it will just reduce the onset of 'heatsoak', and so stop the car feeling a bit sluggish when you drive for long distances on hot days.

Unless you're driving balls-out for long periods of time, I don't think you'll ever push any one FMIC to the extent that it'll show improved performance over any other one. Whichever one you choose, you should see an improvement over the standard SMIC on long runs, that's for sure...

Thanks for the replies, I have not looked at the laguna one but will research it. I have to admit I have limited mechanical knowledge so its all a bit hit and miss and open to suggestions from you guys.

To clarify my last then:-

A big cooler has more internal volume that needs pressuring when the turbo's coming in, and a really over-size one wrt the turbo capacity will take time to pressurise in that situation.

There's nothing wrong with the idea of a high flow unit, but don't buy on the basis of "our cooler has a higher volume than anyone else's" unless you're planning a big turbo high-power engine, rather than just reducing heat soak issues wrt the standard SMIC plus an arch vent. Use a site search if you want to see more about arch vents.

Nuff Said

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much you lose a little money, that's is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,

because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing

you bought it to do. The common law of business balance

prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done.

If you deal with the lower pricing seller, it's well to add something

for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough

to pay for a better service and product

the jabba one is actually a pro alloy one and they are very good,but this comes at a price which is.........price,the forge one i believe is the most cost effective and is also very easy to fit,the allard one will probably be much the same as the pro alloy.

Hull's ok lol.

Im surprised a standard Forge or Pro Alloy cooler isnt up to the job - both their cores are very good. Most huge power Cosworth tend to only run the Intercoolers on offer, dont need too much custom at all.

I did get one drawn up that would be good enough for use in a 600bhp car, but iirc you deemd this to be too expensive, yet it was under half the cose of the one you're getting from Pro Alloy?? :confused::confused: