Service Question + Tyres...

I noticed a few weeks ago that the service indicator when pushed showed over 4000 miles until due, I thought great, that'll be a few months yet...then last weekend it showed around 2400 miles, not so great I thought...then tonight I get in the car & I get 'beep' & a flashing spanner, which I presume means it's time for a trip to the dreaded dealer?

Any idea why it should reduce as quick as it has (feels a bit of a con??)...it's done around 9800 miles, which is 4k since I bought it 5.5 months ago (when it was 8 months old)...what can I expect between services if I am doing around 15miles most days (half dual/half town) & the odd longer trip on the dual c/way?

What about costs for the first service on the Petrol Vrs...I am in the NE of Scotland. I'll be asking them to look at the 'misting' which has plagued the car since I got it, the loose trim on the top of the drivers door inside & the seemingly imfamous rattle/vibration on acceleration/blipping the throttle.

& while I am asking questions...I've read thro' loads of threads on the best tyres for these babies...(it has Conti 225/40 92 Y 18 's) at the momen...what is best for all round grip/wear in the wet & dry...is it the G'year F1's or these Falken 452's? or is it another. I probably don't use the power to the max...but I have found the fronts scrabbling a lot as I leave a junction, which I'd like to improve on.

My car had its first service at just under 9K miles, when it was just over a year old, and it is on variable. Cost me about £200 at the main dealers in Birmingham (sorry, don't know how much it'll be in NE Scotland). Most of the other items you've mentioned should be warranty items and so shouldn't cost you anything.

With regards to tyres, I'd say go with the Goodyear Eagles F1's.

Edit :- Forgot to say, it said I had around 2400 miles left to go, but the number of days left had run out. :(

The time to next service is an indication based on your current driving pattern, if that changes to more motorway or local roads then the estimate also changes. The same goes if you change your driving style. Another factor is the oil used to topup, if you add to much of the wrong oil then the sensors will assume something is wrong and bring the service time nearer.

On variable, my first service was 18K miles, and the second was about 37K.

If you can get them I would always try for Vredestein tyres only independants seem to stock them however.

I agree totally. My wife and I have used them for years, and not because they are cheaper. They are really good tyres. Our local tyre suppier stocks them and sells loads of them in our area.

thanks for the replies guys...I thought the whole idea of variable servicing was that it was based on type/use/miles etc...rather than days, apd007?

Vredesteins are tyres I've looked at before, because they always seem to get a good write up for wet weather ability - any particular spec? I'll look at them + the Goodyears for starters.

I've topped up using the Long Life stuff sold by Skoda...& my driving style or type of roads hasn't really changed....on well...

I have the Goodyear's on my fronts at the moment, recommend them. I've not tried the others yet, but it looks like the rear Conti's are going to be swapped at the next service (they've done 25k on the rear).

thanks for the replies guys...I thought the whole idea of variable servicing was that it was based on type/use/miles etc...rather than days, apd007?

Have you got maxidot? I think it's a combination of the two, when the warning first came on it said I had about 20 days or 3000 miles to book it in for a service, however, that day I happened to be driving down to Weston for a Brisky meet, at one point during the day it said I had 2900 miles left or 24 days. I'm guessing here but I think it works out how long roughly is left depending on how the car is being driven, so a lot of short journeys means the oil will need to be changed in XX number of days, but at the same time, if you happen to go on a long drive then the oil will need to be changed in XXXX miles.

variable servicing, isnt truely variable. There is a maximum time of approximatly 2 years and then the indicator will trigger whatever the mileage at that time.

For an idea of servicing costs, rather than use a main stealer I used Star Performance in Kirkcaldy, Fife. Don't know how near you that is, but was well worth the 60-70 miles each way, trip from Glasgow for me :-) Cost about £120-odd iirc and much better chance it gets done properly Vs. skoda dealerships.

re tyres... oem dunlops were very average, at first opportunity I got Bridgestone's top of the line "Potenza S-03 PolePosition" for the fronts which were a marked improvement (they are standard fit on TVRs etc). Then I got car remapped at Star Performance ;) and was getting wheel spin/traction control flashes in 4th gear :eek: (in the wet).

So I rotated original OEM dunlops from rear to front again and S-03s to rear to try this but still cack, so immediately got Falken FK452s for the front at my tyre guys advice (he knows his stuff). Can not believe how good the grip/traction is with these babies, wet or dry.... over a wet scottish winter season.

So a couple weeks ago I rotated the FK452s to the rear (and took note that they are hardly worn after about 6-7k of hard driving (usually I'm lucky to get 10k out my fronts :P )) and S-03s back to front to wear them out over a (hopefully) drier summer season so I can get FK452s on front again and have them all round.

My first observation... even when trying to put the power down on dry roads.... "what's that fecking light flashing on my dashboard?!?!" I'd almost forgotten I had traction control *lol* Holy crap... I didn't realise the FK452s were *that* good. imho anyway.

Hope that helps...

Mmm... sorely tempted by the Falkens too...they seem to be a really decent deal. I am going to stick it into the dealer for this service anyway (quoted £145) as they have had a few attempts at fixing the misting & I figure they must get it right eventually???!!!

Yep I rate the 452 also :)

snap! got them on all four corners now after the goodyear GSD3's started making funny noises when getting low. I got my local tyre dealer to match camskills £66 each plus the £10 fitting so £304 all in (in two trips). Thats for 225x45 R17