44MPG over 2 miles

I got 42MPG driving from the east side of Edinburgh last night to my house in Fife. Would of got much better if i didn't get stuck in abig traffic jam for 40 mins just south of the Forth Road Bridge. Never thought you would get a big Jam at 10.30PM at night. Never seen it before but maybe you get that sort a thing on the M25. Very rare here.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 42MPG driving from the east side of Edinburgh last night to my house in Fife. Would of got much better if i didn't get stuck in abig traffic jam for 40 mins just south of the Forth Road Bridge. Never thought you would get a big Jam at 10.30PM at night. Never seen it before but maybe you get that sort a thing on the M25. Very rare here.

I would recon you would have got 48-50mpg last night if there was no roadworks as the car was doing 47mpg from johnny50's last night.

Davy

Ah, cruise. I suspect that cruise is bad for mpg, but I won't know for certain till I have it fitted myself (shortly). Try your right foot instead and watch the instant mpg like a hawk.

I'm not going to try and start an arguement here :) but I'm convinced that the ECU will make corrections far smaller increments than my size 10's.

It's sad I know but I keep an eye on all the fuel going in and the miles covered - it's about 49 over about 4,000 miles. The fuel comp says it's in the low 50's. One day I'll work out if that % difference is the same as the speedo over reading error.

If we are going to the other extreme...I got 22mpg after 48 laps of Oulton Park...probably less as this includes 20 miles each way from the petrol station.

CC is great but if you take control when you are going up gradiants more mpg can be had...I wish I could have CC were you tell the car what MPG you want to achieve...

On my last 2 tanks, A run down to Suffolk and pootling about for three days, Trip down managed 400miles on a half tank,:thumbup: Refilled at 1/4 tank trip showing 520 miles.

On the return trip started off with 3/4 tank and again refilled at 1/4 tank, Trip showing 536.1 miles.

And i generally don't like to hang about.:D

The fuel comp wildly over estimates

Tank 1. Ave. 59.2mpg. Actual 49.2mpg

Tank 2. Ave. 65.5mpg. Actual 53.1mpg

I wish I could have CC were you tell the car what MPG you want to achieve...

I've been thinking exactly this recently as I try to squeeze every last mile out of the tank...

I was getting ~260 miles before the fuel light ping. This tank full i drove very carefully not pushing the engine. I thought it was my heavy right foot, but i still only got to 298 miles before the fuel light came back on.

So the first reading was 30.6mpg and it went up to 34.7mpg.

To be honest reading all the other results i expected more :(.

Maybe it's the type of runs i am doing - work is only 3 miles and the engine is barely warm when i get there. Takes me 5 minutes. So i do 2 of these trips on each weekday and a bit of running around shopping etc on weekends. I am only doing ~300 miles per month. I suppose this is the reason for the low figure?

Oh and the car computer says my average is 37.8mpg. It lies! :eek:

An extra 4mpg for driving conservatively ?

I think i need a good motorway run to see what i get.

• 2 weeks later...

we would love to see 44mpg in our vrs which does lots of city running here in Edinburgh. The average ranges between 34 and 36mpg. On a long run, driven at under 2000rpm - boring yes- 52mpg was achieved. For comparison our Octavia tdi90 whilst driven in the same gentle style in city driving averages 44mpg and 60-70mpg on a run driven gently in modest traffic. To say we are disappointed in the VRS is an understatement, the local Skoda dealer has checked the car and no fault codes have shown so we are stuck with a thirsty VRS - until it's sold on which I hope will be soon.

we would love to see 44mpg in our vrs which does lots of city running here in Edinburgh. The average ranges between 34 and 36mpg. On a long run, driven at under 2000rpm - boring yes- 52mpg was achieved. For comparison our Octavia tdi90 whilst driven in the same gentle style in city driving averages 44mpg and 60-70mpg on a run driven gently in modest traffic. To say we are disappointed in the VRS is an understatement, the local Skoda dealer has checked the car and no fault codes have shown so we are stuck with a thirsty VRS - until it's sold on which I hope will be soon.

Octy tdi - 90bhp

Fabia vRS - 130 bhp

You're disappointed why?

I am disappointed with the vrs because a) I cannot achieve anywhere near the manufacturers mpg for urban driving, and a lot of the driving is done in the city, mostly in evenings when traffic is much lighter B) even driven pussy footing on open roads the consumption falls short of expectations c) the amount of smoke produced on acceleration beats even that of a Rover Montego from years gone by. The 130 bhp is nice to have on tap for safe overtaking but this particular car does not respond to being driven in a gentle manner to conserve fuel, which by the way has reached an all time high here in Edinburgh tonight, 123.9p/litre.

Well to be fair the book figure for extra-urban is 57mpg - you're never going to see that except on really long steady motorway cruises. In town driving doesn't suit a diesel at all, however I can pootle at 30 and keep it around the 50 mark, but it does mean not accelerating ever and just using the earth's rotation to get you moving ;)

Smoke - there's several things you can try. The 'Cage' mod might help, as would a decent panel air filter and perhaps a PD160 intake. A decent shot of Millers Diesel Sport 4 Plus (or whatever it's called) works wonders, and improves economy too (works out about 2p a litre, a darn sight cheaper than Shell VPower for example) and I swear by it. And good stamp on the loud pedal once in a while will clear its tubes.

From my other thread, over the course of a fortnight I managed to squeeze 566 miles out of a tank - but to do that requires nerves of steel and is not possible 'in town'.

What am I doing wrong? Brand New Fabia 1 1.2 petrol (60)

I have today been to Irvine nr Glasgow and back from Edinburgh . I filled it to the brim with Shell fuel. I did 154 miles and have just refueled to the same level at the same garage same pump. It took 25.26 lires which works out at about 27mpg!. the majority of the journey there and back was by Motorway at a 58mph or slightly less or country roads at about 40mph. for a vehicle having done only about 2800 mls I feel that this consumption figure is unacceptable.

I contacted the VCA about their consumption figures they claim that the

figures were supplied to them by Skoda. If this is the case then I am afraid some misleading advertising is afoot here.

Any comments anybody. Oh by the way the drivers seat is having to be replaced due to severe wear on the fabric. No! I dont wear sandpaper!

• 4 weeks later...

OK - I'm really not sure what you guys are doing to get such pants MPG figures but my 57K vRS indicates 86.6 if I drive it on cruise at an indicated 66 (SatNav truth says 60 bang-on) and a top-top to top-up (the only real guide to MPG) says I'm getting a genuine 71MPG driving like this. NOw, I can drop it into the low 30's if I boot it, but if I drive it gently it's extremely economical. I just use Tesco diesel, and it's not remapped. You need to let the ECU adapt to the economy mode if you've been booting it apparently, and vice versa ie. mine isn't as quick as it could be if I booted it constantly.

OK - I'm really not sure what you guys are doing to get such pants MPG figures but my 57K vRS indicates 86.6 if I drive it on cruise at an indicated 66 (SatNav truth says 60 bang-on) and a top-top to top-up (the only real guide to MPG) says I'm getting a genuine 71MPG driving like this. NOw, I can drop it into the low 30's if I boot it, but if I drive it gently it's extremely economical. I just use Tesco diesel, and it's not remapped. You need to let the ECU adapt to the economy mode if you've been booting it apparently, and vice versa ie. mine isn't as quick as it could be if I booted it constantly.

Thats really intyeresting - I had not considered that the ECU would morph into a relative mode based on how the car is driven. The more I take it easy, the better the mpg becomes.

I went to Northampton on the motorway the other day and took it steady, 70 all the way, there and back and got an indicated 71mpg (thats over 110 miles). Since then I have taken it pretty easy and my everage has gone up from an indicated 60mpg each trip to and from work, to over 65mpg, I even got 71.2 in the week on a steady run home. The trip is some lanes and some urban, I go past the ex Longbridge site every day, so it is town driving some of it.

The fill up to fill up measure is still only working out at 48-50mpg though, it used to be 45-46 average. I use Jet fuel due to price, seems decent quality too.

My tips for getting decent milage: keep it under 2k, under 1.5k where possible and never boot it. Go up hill with some extra speed so you use less boot going up, then come back down on overrun and never gun it cold - damage and inefficiency = costs. Coasting in gear uses zero fuel as it's on over-run. If you coast in neutral it will still use fuel on tickover and make the car unstable as there is no drive engaged.

My aircon makes a big difference too. Maybe -5mpg on the trip compy.

My trip times are the same, I still do 60 on the lanes, i just don't get there in 9 seconds.

sorry to be boring, i have ended up waffling.

My Brand new Fabia level 1 1.2 (60) has been returned by me to the dealer Biggest lot of junk since I know not what. Cheap manufacture. Not good MPG. No fuel consumption indication on Dashboard. driver seat fabric wearing after two months Not as the Tv commercial say's "full of nice things"

I keep hearing these wonderous claims for MPG but I have my doubts.