Has anyone disabled the VRS sound generator?

I am trying to get my dealer to disable the sound generator while my car is in for a repair but they tell me it can't be done. I am currently driving around in the demo VRS which doesn't have the fake exhaust sound, no matter which mode is selected, so there must be a way (unless the demo had it missing from new). I have seen comments on here about is being possible but have any of you actually had it disabled?

• Like 1

Well after the dealer failed to disable it I've bit the bullet and got busy.

So here is a how to....

There are 4 x clips at the front of the plastic panel at the top of the engine which surrounds the wipers. Pull these off.

Now gently unclip the panel from the base of the windscreen working from the right. 

You will then see this.

post-109025-0-55944900-1390508534_thumb.jpg

The sound arrow points to the sound generator and the circled plug need to be unplugged from the socket in the same circle.

Tidy up with a cable tie and job done.

Well after the dealer failed to disable it I've bit the bullet and got busy.

So here is a how to....

There are 4 x clips at the front of the plastic panel at the top of the engine which surrounds the wipers. Pull these off.

Now gently unclip the panel from the base of the windscreen working from the right.

You will then see this.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Skoda Sound Generator.JPG

The sound arrow points to the sound generator and the circled plug need to be unplugged from the socket in the same circle.

Can this be done without removing the wipers? I tried it a few weeks ago and the wipers seemed to be in the way....

• Like 2

Disable or adjust the volume of the Körperschallaktuators

When Skoda Octavia III 5E and verbautem Soundaktuator you have the option to reduce its volume accordingly, you should use a creak or humming in the center area of ??the instrument cluster perceive, or to disable it altogether.

The following coding is used:

Select STG A9 (Körperschallaktuator)

STG adjustment -> function 10

Select a channel volume of the actuator for impact sound

Value corresponding to customize default value: 100% In adjustment to 0, the sound amplifier is completely disabled

I love Google Translate. :blush:

• Like 2

Can this be done without removing the wipers? I tried it a few weeks ago and the wipers seemed to be in the way....

I managed it without removing the wipers (But I do have the hands of a small child) the picture shows how much you can open it without damaging anything.

As for adjusting with the VCDS, good point and the better way to do it but as I didn't have access to VCDS this worked great. And more importantly cost nothing and needs no tools.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well after the dealer failed to disable it I've bit the bullet and got busy.

So here is a how to....

You will then see this.

attachicon.gifSkoda Sound Generator.JPG

Do you have to remove the wiper arms to access this ???

Do you have to remove the wiper arms to access this ???

No.

I've just unplugged mine, it's pretty tight for space, I could only just get two fingers in there but it's enough to unclip the plug and pull it off.  I did want to cable tie the plug out of the way and maybe put a little bag over it to keep it dry but there's no way i could have done with with only two fingers in there but i managed to wedge it under some other cables to that should keep it in place and other than any moisture in the air it shouldn't get wet.

No.

I've just unplugged mine, it's pretty tight for space, I could only just get two fingers in there but it's enough to unclip the plug and pull it off. I did want to cable tie the plug out of the way and maybe put a little bag over it to keep it dry but there's no way i could have done with with only two fingers in there but i managed to wedge it under some other cables to that should keep it in place and other than any moisture in the air it shouldn't get wet.

Well I've always said I've quite liked the SG but was annoyed by the rattling from it 50% of the time but after a day of having it disconnected it's much much better without it. Going to try and put a little bag over the plug though as I don't like the idea of it just hanging there exposed for the next few years....

is it enough just to remove the 4 clips, as I imagine you gain access from the front as it were????

Yes, remove the four clips then unclip the trim from the bottom of the windscreen starting from the passenger side (UK). The sound generator is roughly in the middle.

Followed the instructions to unplug the generator and yes it is a bit tight to get you hand in the remove the plug, but all done now. Just a few grazed knuckles!

It is now a joy to put in sport mode without the artificial sound. Just waiting for the sound insulation for the bonnet and then it will be even more quite, possibly?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Followed the instructions to unplug the generator and yes it is a bit tight to get you hand in the remove the plug, but all done now. Just a few grazed knuckles!

It is now a joy to put in sport mode without the artificial sound. Just waiting for the sound insulation for the bonnet and then it will be even more quite, possibly?

As the VRS TSI doesnt come with any insulation - is this a good idea? perhaps cooling will not be as efficient? Any one know?

As the VRS TSI doesnt come with any insulation - is this a good idea? perhaps cooling will not be as efficient? Any one know?

No problems as yet. Been in for 6 months. When I collected it from the dealer I was not the only one to have bought one. I thought is was more a Skoda cost cutting exercise, I am pretty sure the Golf GTI has got the insulation, so same engine should be fine, unless someone knows different?

Blame the EU and the tree huggers

My 1971 Mini Cooper S rebored to 1480cc with a LCB manifold and a RC40 exhaust and a Weber 45 sounded like a V8 - you wouldn't get away with that nowadays!

Also the fact that carb was basically where the non-existent speedo should have been (apart from MoT days) and spat fuel into the cabin on overrun might not have made it Euro5 or NCAP or anything compliant!

Was a hoot to drive over the hills from Stockport to Chesterfield - I haven't had a car that was as much fun in 20 years.

• Like 3

No problems as yet. Been in for 6 months. When I collected it from the dealer I was not the only one to have bought one. I thought is was more a Skoda cost cutting exercise, I am pretty sure the Golf GTI has got the insulation, so same engine should be fine, unless someone knows different?

Cool, another thing to add to the list of wants! How much could they have possibly saved by leaving out the insulation!

Cool, another thing to add to the list of wants! How much could they have possibly saved by leaving out the insulation!

Well if it costs £1 and they sell 200'000 cars a year quite alot....

• Like 1

I must admit that when I took a vRS for a test drive I quite enjoyed the sound. However I was thinking afterwards that I can imagine it getting quite annoying on long journeys. I don't have my new car yet so can't check, but if you don't use Sport mode does the sound generator stay off?

Been unplugged for months now. When I get the call to go in for my 6 Month "health" I will plug it back in to make a final desicion, then have them turn it down/off on the electronic gadget they have. To be honest,the engine (tsi) makes enough real noise when put to sport anyway.

Been unplugged for months now. When I get the call to go in for my 6 Month "health" I will plug it back in to make a final desicion, then have them turn it down/off on the electronic gadget they have. To be honest,the engine (tsi) makes enough real noise when put to sport anyway.

Surely it will make the same noise in any mode with the generator unplugged? Seeing as sport just changes throttle response and nothing else to do with the engine?