Rear Beam bush replacement: How to

Right, as requested i used the camera today and took a few snaps while replacing the rear beam bushes on my octy.

Everyone reccomends to disconnect the brake lines, remove beam, then to bleed the system once finished.

I didnt have to.

ill show you how in pictures. In some pics you might notice i have/havent done something that ive previously mentioned, probably because i tried a couple of different ways, and this is the best that worked for me.

Right. get the car's back end up in the air nice and high, i used the second hole on my helfrads axel stands, remove wheels. Dont forget to chock your front wheels.

SNV32611.jpg

Now, put a trolley jack under where your spring sits, and take a little weight, now remove lower bolt (16mm) and pull shock out of its housing.

SNV32612.jpg

Then lower trolley jack and the spring can simply be removed without the use of compressors.

SNV32613.jpg

I did this both sides, then went onto removing the bolts that went through the bush etc (18mm) sorry forgot to take a picture of this one.

I supported the weight of the axel through this with 2 trolleyjacks.

SNV32616.jpg

I then started unclipping various hoses, there is one cable that comes down from the upper arch, i didnt remove it from the beam but just unclipped it from the arch etc so that there was enough slack for the beam to sit on the floor without pulling on the cable.

SNV32614.jpg

Then there was a hose that runs under the car, i unclipped that as well, (excuse the crap picture)

SNV32615.jpg

Then i started unclipping the rigid brakelines off the axel, careful not to snap any plastic connectors, (i snapped one)

SNV32621.jpg

I had to decide how i was going to get the pipe through the axel, it may seem a bit drastic but i decided to cut into the bracket, then bend it over enough to fit the rigid pipeline through.

SNV32620.jpg

Once the pipeline is through the gap it gives you loads of slack to play with, even enough to let the axel to sit on the floor.

Now lever the beam out of its housing, supporting it at the same time.

SNV32618.jpg

SNV32623.jpg

Right, then i made enough space to let loose on the bush with this bad boy

SNV32624.jpg

I only spent a couple of minutes drilling through the bush, hit it with a nylon mallet, and it slid out suprisingly easily.

SNV32625.jpg

SNV32626.jpg

Sprayed the new bushes liberally with lithium grease, and they literally just slid in, with just a slight tickle to ensure they are seated correctly.

SNV32627.jpg

Right this is about where i stopped taking photos, the other side is exactly the same, the bracket for the rigid pipeline is slightly different, but all the same principles apply and im sure you'll have an idea of what your doing by now.

Heres a pic to prove the axel will sit happily on the floor

SNV32632.jpg

When putting it all back together just reverse exactly what you just did.

I managed to remove the beam and fit the bushes by myself, but when it came to manovering the beam into position and aligning it correctly, a second pair of hands was required. With suprisingly little persuasion i managed to get SWMBO to help me out.

she may be special, look special, but shes not actually spastic

SNV32636.jpg

Heres a pic of the clip i cut a notch out of once its all fitted back together

SNV32635.jpg

Think that is all. HTH :thumbup:

Love the cutting out of the brake pipe bracket. :)

The 'hose' underneath is the handbrake cable.

Yes they are the latter modded bushes (lucky git ;0 )

Well done though.

thanks mate, the original plan was to remove the rear calipers, and do it that way, but the brake pipe bracket seemed like such a better idea. i cant believe no one else has ever suggested/done it before.

i could see why a garage wouldnt do it, as its chopping pieces out of a car, but at the end of the day im not a garage :thumbup::thumbup:

• 2 months later...

I'm doing this right now so this is a godsend.

Thanks boss.

*edit*

I didn't need to remove the brake lines or cut anything, I undid the bolts holding the bracket the arm swings from and did the bushes one side at a time, the left one is a bit of a pain but there was enough give in the brake lines to move it enough to get the old bush out.

Edited by amateurstuntman
Adding more, no need to double post.

Another possibility is to change to the reinforced Seat Ibiza Cupra/Leon Cupra bush (they are exactly the same). Fits perfectly in a Octavia vRS mk I.

Part number: 6LL 501 541 (Ibiza Cupra), roughly £32.

The exact same part for Leon Cupra is 1ML 501 541, roughly £52.

I naturally went for the Ibiza Cupra part, which was a perfect compromise, since I didn't want to install polyurethane bushes due to them wearing out rather quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing this right now so this is a godsend.

Thanks boss.

*edit*

I didn't need to remove the brake lines or cut anything, I undid the bolts holding the bracket the arm swings from and did the bushes one side at a time, the left one is a bit of a pain but there was enough give in the brake lines to move it enough to get the old bush out.

no worries buddy, glad it was useful,

the write up took me fooookin ages!!

Another possibility is to change to the reinforced Seat Ibiza Cupra/Leon Cupra bush (they are exactly the same). Fits perfectly in a Octavia vRS mk I.

Part number: 6LL 501 541 (Ibiza Cupra), roughly £32.

The exact same part for Leon Cupra is 1ML 501 541, roughly £52.

I naturally went for the Ibiza Cupra part, which was a perfect compromise, since I didn't want to install polyurethane bushes due to them wearing out rather quickly.

are they not a bitch to fit though and need to ideally be pressed in/out?