8v MPi Timing Chain replacement.

davegsm82

Hi there, i asked this question quite some time ago but cant find the thread and also have searched for anything with information about this and cant find anything.

I know the basics, but is there any specific information I need to know about replacing the timing chain on this engine?

Are there any special tools I'll need? I have the usual tool kit, full socket set, air tools etc, but dont have any 'vehicle specific' tools.

How do you go about getting the retaining bolt out of the crankshaft? do you need to replace this bolt ?(I know you're supposed to on other engines like the Ford Zetec/Sigma's) Is there some special way of holding the crankshaft stationary?

I can remember reading somewhere that some replacement timing chain kits were turning up with the locating marks 1 tooth out of position with relation to the original item, was this issue ever resolved?

Sorry for all the questions lol

Dave.

Given the fact you have doubts about certain kits etc, I would seek professional advice on this one mate. I would also check to see if the Haynes manual covers your engine. Their cam belt and timing chain advice, is usually accurate as it's such a critical repair.

The only inaccuracy in the Haynes manual I would suggest on the timing chain is they suggest it needs changing much more often than it actually does. You're looking at the 1.4 OHV (first section in the manual).

There are some posts about markings being out. Not sure if this just applied to the Felicia or not.

Edited by anewman

Given the fact you have doubts about certain kits etc, I would seek professional advice on this one mate. I would also check to see if the Haynes manual covers your engine. Their cam belt and timing chain advice, is usually accurate as it's such a critical repair.

I dont currently have the haynes as its still on order, but I understand the complexity of it, just not the exact details. I'm not a professional mechanic but have been doing this for quite a long time so have no fear about going into a job like this, just more used to working on ford engines.

The only inaccuracy in the Haynes manual I would suggest on the timing chain is they suggest it needs changing much more often than it actually does. You're looking at the 1.4 OHV (first section in the manual).

There are some posts about markings being out. Not sure if this just applied to the Felicia or not.

Yea, I know the chain is supposed to "Last the lifetime of the engine", but this one has rattled badly since she bought it and seems to be getting worse now that its at 120,000 miles. I dont want to have to change the engine just becuase I couldn't be bothered to do the chain lol

i have a felicia haynes manual and it does have the instructions and run through and they give it a "3 spanner rating" of dificulty out of 5 i believe

AFAIK the procedure is the same, just the keys on the crank and the camshaft are different, so the timing chain kit (which I have) is the only difference between the 2.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave.

Yea, I know the chain is supposed to "Last the lifetime of the engine", but this one has rattled badly since she bought it and seems to be getting worse now that its at 120,000 miles. I dont want to have to change the engine just becuase I couldn't be bothered to do the chain lol.

Well wait for it... Mr Haynes thinks it should be renewed every 30,000 miles regardless of condition (which is way unnecessary). This seems to be an error that was carried over from the Favorit and Felicia manuals which used a similar engine (they seem to copy big chunks of relevant text from older manuals which show the same engines)..

120k isn't too bad to need the chain renewing.

Well wait for it... Mr Haynes thinks it should be renewed every 30,000 miles regardless of condition (which is way unnecessary). This seems to be an error that was carried over from the Favorit and Felicia manuals which used a similar engine (they seem to copy big chunks of relevant text from older manuals which show the same engines)..

120k isn't too bad to need the chain renewing.

Aye, well its lasted this long and needed doing at 93k when she bought it. so to last ANOTHER 30k is pretty good going, feel like it deserves a new one now.

As for copying chunks of instructions, yes, they are a bit bad for that, i've seen it in both my Fiesta and MZ motorbike manuals, even on *properly* critical stuff such as reassembly.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

How long does it take to change the timing chain on Fabia 1.4Mpi classic, I have a wee bit of mechanical knowledge.

Gained from working on Hillman Imps years ago! Thanks

How long does it take to change the timing chain on Fabia 1.4Mpi classic, I have a wee bit of mechanical knowledge.

Gained from working on Hillman Imps years ago! Thanks

Two to four hours depending on experience.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys sorry to bring up a old thread I will be replacing the timing chain on my fabia at the weekend can anyone tell me is there special tools needed to lock the engine timing ? As I have had a look and can't seem to find one. Also has any done a guide on replacing the timing chain? What is this I have read about the timing mark being wrong on some sprockets ?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me where the timing marks are I don't have a Haynes to hand I see there is a dot on the sprocket and a dot on the bottom crank sprocket. Also can someone tell me the torque for the two sprocket bolts?

Edited by Galee

Can anyone tell me where the timing marks are I don't have a Haynes to hand I see there is a dot on the sprocket and a dot on the bottom crank sprocket. Also can someone tell me the torque for the two sprocket bolts?

This should help you http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/drive_unit/1.0/37;_1.4/44;_1.4/50_kw_mpi_engine/engine_cylinder_head_valve_gear/repairing_valve_gear/removing_and_installing_camshaft/

The torque settings from Haynes manual are...

Camshaft sprocket with tab locking washer: 35Nm (26 lbf ft).

Camshaft sprocket without tab locking washer (use thread locking compound): 25 Nm (18 lbf ft).

Crankshaft pulley bolt: 100 Nm (74 lbf ft).

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...