Real full size road wheel as spare wheel - will it fit?

Fred_Bristol

There has been a great deal of discussion about what Skoda originally called a full size spare wheel - but isn't.

Has anybody tried getting a wheel that matches the fitted road wheels into the boot floor?

Will it fit?

Since the rolling radius of the 16 inch and 17 inch wheels must be similar, presumably it is the width that differs and hence the top surface of the wheel would be above the boot lip.

Or alternately a true spacesaver, possibly salvaged but unused from a scrap car, as this would take up less space and still have the same speed limit as the official spare in the top spec models?

There has been a great deal of discussion about what Skoda originally called a full size spare wheel - but isn't.

Has anybody tried getting a wheel that matches the fitted road wheels into the boot floor?

Will it fit?

Since the rolling radius of the 16 inch and 17 inch wheels must be similar, presumably it is the width that differs and hence the top surface of the wheel would be above the boot lip.

Hi,

yes we tried this out earlier this year when the Pat-Monster was running on winters. There is a thread in the dim and distant past.

The conclusion was that it's a very tight fit and the tyre stands proud of the boxes by an inch or so. To get you home after a puncture then yes you can make it fit; Skoda have even put an extra fold into the false floor cover so you can lay it back down.

4233478096_0ca56095b7_b.jpg

With the false floor laid back down there's a gap at the rear of the cover

4233478734_6070030e8a_b.jpg

The boot floor is just about the same as the Golf V 4motion and originally designed for a skinny space saver due to the rear diff below. If you are contemplating carrying a skinny space-saver just a word of caution, check your insurer is happy first, as your deviating from the manufacturers spec.

Hope that's of help.

Regards,

TP

Not sure what happened here! TP post content got duplicated, now deleted.

What I meant to say was:

Thanks TP.

I would prefer the 16" wheels of the S and the rest of the spec to be SE, and have a road wheel matching spare, perhaps steel rather than alloy.

Doubt I'll be able to do that.

For normal use the loss of boot space because of extra thickness of wheel wouldn't matter.

I don't see why the insurance company should object to a genuine, full size, road wheel as a spare.

Edited by Fred_Bristol

If you are contemplating carrying a skinny space-saver just a word of caution, check your insurer is happy first, as your deviating from the manufacturers spec

Curious about this comment; can't see why Insurers would be interested as surely to have a skinny spare is better than a can of 'gunk'. Or is it that you are thinking of the occasion when it might be put to use?

The latter would be my concern, for example if you were to have an accident while running on a non approved spare. Don't think Skoda have ever followed the VW route of using those skinny space-savers.

Regards,

TP

This may not be of interest but I've just bought a spare wheel from Skoda. The rim is a 6.5x16 steel item while the tyre is a 195/60-16 Continental. It's a conventional tyre with an H speed rating, not a space saver and although the wheel comes with the 50mph/80kph warning sticker, it isn't a "get you home only" tyre.

John

Hi,

yes we tried this out earlier this year when the Pat-Monster was running on winters. There is a thread in the dim and distant past.

The conclusion was that it's a very tight fit and the tyre stands proud of the boxes by an inch or so. To get you home after a puncture then yes you can make it fit; Skoda have even put an extra fold into the false floor cover so you can lay it back down.

The boot floor is just about the same as the Golf V 4motion and originally designed for a skinny space saver due to the rear diff below. If you are contemplating carrying a skinny space-saver just a word of caution, check your insurer is happy first, as your deviating from the manufacturers spec.

Hope that's of help.

Regards,

TP

Thanks for the picture that gives a good idea of the situation.

I would like to ask you a related question, as you have the spare setup option.

Is the false floor removable?

In the manual it explains how to remove the other "false floor" (the one without the spare wheel) but it is not very clear if one can remove the spare wheel and the housing completely and return to a "standard" setup if it is needed.

My idea was to order the spare wheel option so that i can have the carjack and the wheel, and then decide if I wanted to keep it like that or rather use a winter/summer full tyre as a spare (maybe in one of those plastic bags that can be found on the net).

I enquired about the cost of the specific Yeti carjack and i was quoted 40€ for it, while the spare wheel option in Italy costs 60€. If the whole thing can be removed at will it seems a good compromise to have it and get the whole false floor setup for just 20€ difference.

Hi,

the false floor with the spare is not technically removable as it's attached to the storage boxes which are screwed to the floor. The spare is not compatible with the removable false floor as the spare will not fit under it.

You could however order with the spare and remove it by undoing the screws, then separately purchase the normal boot carpet which I think would be the cheaper option.

In the UK the factory option for the spare is about £50 but too buy the kit from the dealer to fit afterwards is about £230.

Regards,

TP

Thanks for the detail and the suggestion. Now that i know that it is feasable to remove it (unscrewing + replacement floor matt) I agree that the most effective way is to get that option (relatively cheep) and then decide.

I guess that at least part of the difference in price 50vs230 can be justified by the compressor and can of glue, which I guess are missing if you go for the spare option.

I guess that at least part of the difference in price 50vs230 can be justified by the compressor and can of glue, which I guess are missing if you go for the spare option.

Interesting question. Is this the case? When you order the spare wheel do you then also auto-delete the compressor and gunk? I've used my A2's compressor countless times even though I have a space saver spare.

Interesting question. Is this the case? When you order the spare wheel do you then also auto-delete the compressor and gunk? I've used my A2's compressor countless times even though I have a space saver spare.

I've formed the opinion that £50 for spare wheel (even if its a 16" steelie), jack etc. plus the raised boot floor with surrounding storage is a 'must buy'. Even if you want a compressor as well (I have one already as it happens) they are only £30 - £45 from any reputable car parts shop.

Win, win?

I have considered getting a 'skinny' space saver (VW, perhaps?) wheel and have that sitting in the well in the boot floor or perhaps securing it upright against one of the wheel arches; jury is still out on this.

Thanks; that's a pretty good indicator that what I was thinking of can't be done ..... but ......... if the raised/false floor was not there the wheel would sit lower so would touch the seat backrest lower where due to it being angled might allow the wheel to sit slightly further forward.

More investigation is required I feel .....

I've just been perusing the September 2009 Yeti brochure. It says in several places,

"Note: Full size spare wheel or space saver spare wheel can be ordered as an option. For further details please check page 16."

Needless to say, on page 16, only the full-size wheel is listed.

I'd read that before which is why I found the precise wording in the brochure interesting. It says clearly and unequivocally that there is the choice between full size steel spare or space-saver spare as options. However, the page it refers to only lists the steel option.

Edited by Rob666

Rod that brochure was replaced in April 2010 and you will find that wording was completely changed.

I dare say it has been changed. Manufacturers update these things fairly regularly and especially with a brand new model.

Interesting that it should have been there in the first place. Leaves me wondering if the skinny spare is available in other markets and if so, like the iPod thingy and electrically adjustable seat, why not here?

Leaves me wondering if the skinny spare is available in other markets and if so, like the iPod thingy and electrically adjustable seat, why not here?

There is no skinny spare in any country. They just called it thus since it is smaller than the other wheels - as per what was said in point 11 of the post I referred to.

I didn't go with the factory spare looking at the size commitment instead as I work in the tyre business I sourced a

125/70-18 on a skinny wheel which almost has the same roling circumference as the 225/50-17 fitted on my car made some

foam packing to stabalize the boot floor and hey presto saved about 5" of boot floor space depth.It's functional and has

ample load range for the axle weights and fits well without loosing my precious boot space

Peter

I didn't go with the factory spare looking at the size commitment instead as I work in the tyre business I sourced a

125/70-18 on a skinny wheel which almost has the same roling circumference as the 225/50-17 fitted on my car made some

foam packing to stabalize the boot floor and hey presto saved about 5" of boot floor space depth.It's functional and has

ample load range for the axle weights and fits well without loosing my precious boot space

Peter

Peter

What is the full spec, ET, Load Rating etc?

If someone were to look to buy what car model do they come from?

thanks

tom

edit or... if I wanted to buy something similar who do I go to and what should I ask for? tom

Edited by Sanqhar