Real full size road wheel as spare wheel - will it fit?

Fred_Bristol

Hi Sanqhar

The wheel spec is:

3.5J18H2 ET25.5

VAG part number 1K0601027B

The tyre spec is:

Continental 125/70R18 99H

The wheel & tyre are sourced from a 2005 GT TDI 140 golf mk 5 with the same 5x112 pcd on the wheel which is common on the VW/Seat/Audi/Skoda range now and this wheel can be found in a lot of the higher engine sized models but be carefull the lesser models have a 16" spacesaver with much lower rolling circumferance and also be carefull of the mk4 range because the stud pcd is 5x110 but I have seen this size tyre in the boot of the R32 mk4 on that wheel.

Hope this helps

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sanqhar

The wheel spec is:

3.5J18H2 ET25.5

VAG part number 1K0601027B

The tyre spec is:

Continental 125/70R18 99H

The wheel & tyre are sourced from a 2005 GT TDI 140 golf mk 5 with the same 5x112 pcd on the wheel which is common on the VW/Seat/Audi/Skoda range now and this wheel can be found in a lot of the higher engine sized models but be carefull the lesser models have a 16" spacesaver with much lower rolling circumferance and also be carefull of the mk4 range because the stud pcd is 5x110 but I have seen this size tyre in the boot of the R32 mk4 on that wheel.

Hope this helps

Peter

Peter

Many thanks. I have sourced an unused wheel and tyre (that exact spec and part number!), from a MkV Golf from Ebay for £35. I am well pleased.

4645269822_a456e6f4ef_b.jpg

I need to sort out properly screwing it down but apart from that it is perfect.

4645273128_cfe38fcb51_b.jpg

I have made plywood cover and the original boot carpet just lies on top perfectly. Currently I am supporting it with some stiff foam. I may use polystyrene or build a support from ply. Still working on that bit.

4645277126_d2a62e8206_b.jpg

I may do it again with some better quality ply and stick on the boot carpet from my previous scrappage Passat.

For the moment this will do for any journeys where I will not be near home.

I have been stranded before (albeit on my motor bike) with a nail in the tyre tread and out the sidewall, no amount of "Goo" would fix that one!. Had to be "rescued" home from Abergavenny to Suffolk after a matching tyre could not be sourced the same day.

tom

That's a top notch modification; looks like you lose about 3 - 4 inches less of the boot depth compared to the OE full size spare and flooring. Plus it will be easier to remove when you want the seats out for ultimate load space.

Well done!

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

Great modification.

I think it is a good (and less expensive)alternative to the original spare part package.

It could be perfect for a toroidal LPG tank!!! (height between 18 cm and 24 cm - diameter 60 or 65 cm)

ChicoItaly_Yeti,

I had a similar sounding crick from my current car when I took delivery - turned out to be the rubber on the tyre moving against the metal car boot.

I took the whole lot out and polished inside the car boot and put a thin layer of material - old shirt I think - between the tyre and the metal boot.

Problem solved for me.

I know the arrangment for the tyre and contact with the car is different on the Yeti but it might be worth a look.

I also had to make sure the tyre was firmly attached to the boot.

ernieb

ChicoItaly_Yeti,

I had a similar sounding crick from my current car when I took delivery - turned out to be the rubber on the tyre moving against the metal car boot.

I took the whole lot out and polished inside the car boot and put a thin layer of material - old shirt I think - between the tyre and the metal boot.

Problem solved for me.

I know the arrangment for the tyre and contact with the car is different on the Yeti but it might be worth a look.

I also had to make sure the tyre was firmly attached to the boot.

ernieb

Off on a tangent?

I have a feeling that ChicoItaly meant to ask 'what about the jack for lifting the car - perhaps?

But then he might have been referring to a 'crick' as in squeak.

Hi Sanqhar

If you want tell me your e mail and ill send you a picture of the way to do the boot and solution I can beat metal into car bits make dead cars work and generally do most things with my hands but computers and posting pictures on here baffle me a bit so i cant post it for you to see

Peter

Peter

Many thanks. I have sourced an unused wheel and tyre (that exact spec and part number!), from a MkV Golf from Ebay for £35. I am well pleased.

4645269822_a456e6f4ef_b.jpg

I need to sort out properly screwing it down but apart from that it is perfect.

4645273128_cfe38fcb51_b.jpg

I have made plywood cover and the original boot carpet just lies on top perfectly. Currently I am supporting it with some stiff foam. I may use polystyrene or build a support from ply. Still working on that bit.

4645277126_d2a62e8206_b.jpg

I may do it again with some better quality ply and stick on the boot carpet from my previous scrappage Passat.

For the moment this will do for any journeys where I will not be near home.

I have been stranded before (albeit on my motor bike) with a nail in the tyre tread and out the sidewall, no amount of "Goo" would fix that one!. Had to be "rescued" home from Abergavenny to Suffolk after a matching tyre could not be sourced the same day.

tom

The wheel looks to have a very large offset, or is this an optical illusion? Are there other wheels available with less projection of the hub area? Would the wheel then go in the other way up with a hub flush to the tyre face, this would give some additional underfloor storage?

Edited by kenfowler3966

Hi Sanqhar

I think this will finish your conversion off order these parts from your skoda agent they cost about £20 and reduce the height with a sharp stanley knife to the level you want put them in place and screw down with the special clips as necessary and with the left overs make a packer for the seat end between the boxes and glue it together or tape it as you wish then with your board it's job done all supported.

Also dont forget a jack and brace I picked mine up for a tenner.

2010_05190012

2010_05190011

5L6 858 857 B iNSERT (PLASTIC BOX)

5L6 858 857 C INSERT

5L6 858 857 A INSERT

5L0 853 909 CLIP - 6 PIECES

Hope this helps you

and many many many thanks to the plumber who helped me get the pictures on here

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

• 2 years later...

Apologies for opening up this topic again. I left the Skoda clan many years ago, having had bad experiences with an Estelle and a Favorit. I have been attracted back by the Yeti reviews and currently have an S Greenline II on order. I'm looking at the spare wheel and related issues.

I currently have a Ford Fusion, which came with a very narrow space-saver wheel and a polystyrene gap-filler. I found that a normal sized wheel would sit easily in the spare-wheel well, albeit protruding approximately 20mm. I cut a piece of plywood to form a false, rigid boot floor which sat nicely on top of the wheel.

According to my Skoda dealer, there is no option to order a spare-wheel with the Greenline model because of the emissions aspect, so I'm weighing up my options. One route I might take is to go for a set of five steel wheels fitted with 215/60/R16/95H winter tyres - saving the alloys for summer. Apart from the width aspect, this is the same size as the Skoda 'space-saver' spare, which I understand to be 195/60/R16, and should therefore sit in the spare-wheel well with a small height protrusion such as I have currently on the Fusion.

I've yet to look into the question of the toolkit and the boxes but, in the meantime, I would appreciate comments from anyone who might have already considered or undertaken what I am proposing to do. Thanks.

Hi and welcome,

:'( to hear you had bad times with the old Skoda's; still have fond memories of my old Rapid and Favorit estate.

The spare wheel kit with false floor/boxes etc. are available through the parts department and some dealers have offered customers a good discount when purchased with a new order where it's not a factory option.

Otherwise;

http://www.ebay.co.u...D-/261020314539

This thread may also be of interest if you have not found it already.

http://www.briskoda....wheel-assembly/

Regards winter tyres for a GreenLine, I would recommend sticking with the 205/55 R16 tyres they are supplied with from factory, more choice and less expense.

Not tried getting one of those under the false floor, might be a better fit than 225/50 R17, which was defiantly to big for a permanent storage solution; raised the floor to much.

TP

I have the Greenline ,and swapped over the standard sparewheel and floor from my previous Yeti 170 4x4.

Everything fits O.K. except the polystyrene toolbox ,as there isn't a large enough hole in the boot floor.

All my tools sit with my spare in a plastic bag.Other than that No Problems

Yes, it's the standard Yeti spacesaver spare wheel; 195/60/16.

Skoda wont supply the Greenline from the factory with the spare wheel because it puts it into the next higher CO2 category.

Unfortunately I couldn't order mine with the Panoramic roof for the same reason..

As TP states, dealers are more than happy to supply you with allsorts of gubbins from their parts departments. :)

Ref earlier posts I ordered our yeti with the factory option spare wheel then removed the wheel etc, put an inflation kit in then I covered the original mat with a skoda rubber floor mat, this works fine but gives me the option of a cheap spare in the garage if required.

I'll take some pics later on.

I have the Greenline ,and swapped over the standard sparewheel and floor from my previous Yeti 170 4x4.

Everything fits O.K. except the polystyrene toolbox ,as there isn't a large enough hole in the boot floor.

All my tools sit with my spare in a plastic bag.Other than that No Problems

There are two types of boot floor kits, and it's the toolboxes that are different one for 2wd and one for 4wd.

It is worth checking whether your local Skoda dealer is offering any deals on the 'official' spare tyre. There was a lot of comments in the press - principally Sunday Times/Telegraph Motoring - about lack of spare tyres in modern vehicles, VW initially claimed all their cars had spare tyres but had to retract when owners of Polo and 'Up" pointed out their cars did not have spare wheels, Skoda confirmed few of their cars had spares as original but they were available as an option.

My local Skoda dealer - Gordon Lamb Chesterfield - picked up on this and sent all their customers a voucher for a special deal on a Skoda spare for their cars. I had specced one from new so no interest from me but thought they were at least being proactive!

After this http://www.briskoda....y-tyre-experts/

I have just taken out the offside rear and middle rear seat - Plenty of room for spare wheel now - Just need to strap it to the seat fixings

Regards

Mike

An alternative way.....

6406522097_04a0e27f61_b.jpg

Nomad Webbing made up the strap for me. fixes to the lashing points and also round the plastic horizontal bar.

• Like 1