Owners of 2.0 ltr common rail

Don't know if you've ever read about the oil pump drive pin which can wear really bad on the 2.0 litre common rail engine.Replaced quite a few under warranty on low mileage cars - 50 to 60 thousand kilometres on the clock at work,the shaft wears in an abnormal way that it becomes round hence losing drive,the car will run without any oil circulating.Oil light won't come on immediately.First thing to blow is the turbo and last week we had two cars in workshop with a same tappety noise,further investigation revealed that the gudgeon pin of piston number 4 wore some much that there was some 3 mm freeplay in the piston,the car misfired as it lost compression on one cylinder apart from working as a two stroke + damage also to the hydraulic tappets.My advice is to use qood quality oil and tell the garage you service tha car at to check the pin for any abnormal wear say every 20 thousand miles,it will require removal of sump for inspection but much better than needing an expensive engine re build ....

Can tell the difference between a mark 1 and mark 2 mate :giggle: ... Definetly a mark 2,2.0 ltr common rail ... Changed quite a few of these pins and turbos under warranty but two cars in the same week with the same problem ... work at a skoda dealer so know what i'm saying ... All i am giving is a word of advice ...

I think you are confusing this with the 2.0 ltr PD140 fitted to the MKI Superb.

The ones we had were both 140's and skoda have made no official bullettin yet but can bet that they'll be having loads of expensive warranty claims done and will publish some modifications ... Sorry but don't know if the 170 is effected in anyway ...

Malta ...

Could this affect the 1.6 common rail diesel engine or is it a fundamentally different design to the 2.0?

The ones we had were both 140's and skoda have made no official bullettin yet but can bet that they'll be having loads of expensive warranty claims done and will publish some modifications ... Sorry but don't know if the 170 is effected in anyway ...

Thanks for the warning!

Can we rely on a official bulletin issued soon (or some sort of service recall)?

I do own a Superb Combi 140 CR 2.0 :'( (6.000 Km yet)

Can we rely on a official bulletin issued soon (or some sort of service recall)?

Personally considering VAG's previous record I wouldn't rely on anything forthcoming :dull:

What would be much better is to gather as much info as possible NOW before you may need it, because you know what will happen if you are unfortunate to have this faliure - "oh sorry sir, we have never seen or heard of this failure before" and guess what if it's going to happen what are the chance that the warranty has just run out?

Be interested to know which CR engine codes your referring too? Would it be by chance the CFFB 140 engine and possibly the CFGB and CBBB 170 engines :wonder:

Notice these engines have a pump driven by a 100mm drive shaft, whereas on the Yeti the oil pump for the early production CBDB (140 CR) & CEGA (170 CR) is a chain driven pump and the Later CFH family (110 & 140 CR), the CFJA (170 CR) and CAYA (1.6 TDI CR) use a belt driven pump.

Regards,

TP

I thought VW and Audi used these engines for a year or more before Å koda got them, so have they already had this problem with their cars and sorted it?

• Like 1

I thought the engines were the same, but I'm not very technical, so thanks for the info. I was thinking of changing to a MkII CR 140 or 170, so maybe I'll wait and see if they modify this part first.

You are confusing the engines, the BMP is a 170 PD VW engine fitted to B6 Passat's, the faulty Skoda variation is iirc a SCC or similar named lump, these were modded in 2007 to sort the oil pump issues out, and it makes no difference what oil you use, the pump fails due to poor metal quality of the spline.

Im am wrong,sorry,the BMP is a PD but a 140 not the 170 brake ... 103KW is 140 brake not 170.Still worth checking the pump shaft though ...

You are confusing the engines, the BMP is a 170 PD VW engine fitted to B6 Passat's, the faulty Skoda variation is iirc a SCC or similar named lump, these were modded in 2007 to sort the oil pump issues out, and it makes no difference what oil you use, the pump fails due to poor metal quality of the spline.

Edited by 110ivan

Im am wrong,sorry,the BMP is a PD but a 140 not the 170 brake ... 103KW is 140 brake not 170.Still worth checking the pump shaft though ...

Thanks to 110ivan for bringing this problem to our attention. I do however find it rather confusing to determine which engines and of what era are potentially fallable. The statement started re comment to the common rail engines, so do we know at what stage the problem was noticed, and has it been addressed by modification in the manufacturing process ?. If so, do we know at from what engine number has any modification taken place so owners of an engine prior to that could presumably ask for the modification to be done by Skoda under warranty?. Athough mention has been made re the 140 engine, I would imagine the 170 would have the same pump and driving mechanism and thus be similarly vulnerable?. Thanks, Tony

Wouldnt suprise me if skoda have been given the early batch of 2.0 tdi common rail engines which suffer from the possible oil pump problems as suggested by 110ivan. I can see the senario now when VW see their sales outstripped by skoda and they have to rein them in.Either by long build waiting times in the hope the prospective owner goes elsewhere, or giving skoda some poorly designed engines that have potential problems listed above.

It's about time VW and Skoda come clean with their customers and admit they have a problem, rather than wait for a customer to come in with an engine that could be seriously damaged and then fob them off and get them to pay 50% towards the costs,or they hope that the car manages going past the 60k mile warranty and they can then wash their hands of you. Maybe it is about time automobile consumers get a far more reliable vehicle in the first place and for VW group to offer a standard 5yr warranty like vauxhall do.

I am seriously thinking of trying another brand of vehicle manufacturer who offers a better warranty, so that leaves the customer to enjoy his/her driving with no worries about the possible problems cars face what with continuous new technology. The idea is to have a car that is trouble free and leaves the customer to drive on the roads rather than be stuck on some ramp waiting to be repaired because of some poorly designed part that the manufacturer knew was faulty in the 1st place !!

If they gave the problem to the mk1 superb and now possibly the mk2 superb, makes you wonder what other models of the vw marque going to have the same problem.

Where we can find out more about revisions of current Skoda 2.0 engines?

I have checked my car documentation, and find out I have CFF engine. However after looking trough some paperwork from customs, I saw that there was 3 Superbs in batch for import. Mine is 140 CFF, other two were 170 CBB and CFG. CBB is Elegance, and CFG is low spec. Does trim has to do anything about which engine goes where?

Wouldnt suprise me if skoda have been given the early batch of 2.0 tdi common rail engines which suffer from the possible oil pump problems as suggested by 110ivan. I can see the senario now when VW see their sales outstripped by skoda and they have to rein them in.Either by long build waiting times in the hope the prospective owner goes elsewhere, or giving skoda some poorly designed engines that have potential problems listed above.

It's about time VW and Skoda come clean with their customers and admit they have a problem, rather than wait for a customer to come in with an engine that could be seriously damaged and then fob them off and get them to pay 50% towards the costs,or they hope that the car manages going past the 60k mile warranty and they can then wash their hands of you. Maybe it is about time automobile consumers get a far more reliable vehicle in the first place and for VW group to offer a standard 5yr warranty like vauxhall do.

I am seriously thinking of trying another brand of vehicle manufacturer who offers a better warranty, so that leaves the customer to enjoy his/her driving with no worries about the possible problems cars face what with continuous new technology. The idea is to have a car that is trouble free and leaves the customer to drive on the roads rather than be stuck on some ramp waiting to be repaired because of some poorly designed part that the manufacturer knew was faulty in the 1st place !!

If they gave the problem to the mk1 superb and now possibly the mk2 superb, makes you wonder what other models of the vw marque going to have the same problem.

well the problem must presumably apply to all Skoda models which have the 2 ltr diesel engines fitted, especially the Octavias and Yeti's ?. But can someone, especially 110ivan please say from what engine number this problem is likely to arise, as there must be potentially hundreds of thousands of engines involved if the problem goes back into the Superb 1 era and has been carried over into the 2 series and at what engine number was the problem rectified?. Having raised the scare, I think such should be forthcoming from those who raised it, thanks. And the problem applies not only to the Skoda cars alone, but presumably VW's , Audis and Seats are all at risk. Tony

well the problem must presumably apply to all Skoda models which have the 2 ltr diesel engines fitted, especially the Octavias and Yeti's ?.

No Yetis are not affected. I reposted this thread to the Yeti forum (http://briskoda.net/...engine-problem/) and this was the outcome:

Hi Johann,

have posted on the Superb forum to see if the chap from Malta can give details on engine codes effected as it depends on the code as to which type of pump is fitted.

With the Yeti the early production CBDB 140 (to WK45/09) and CEGA 170 (to WK22/10) have a chain driven pump; P/N 038 115 015 C

The later CFH 110 & 140 family, the CFJA 170 and the CAYC 1.6 TDI CR have a belt driven pump; P/N 03L 115 105 B

Regards,

TP

As well as:

More delving about and reading posts on the Octavia forum.

Now belive that the Yeti is not effected by this issue :whew:

However this is my own interpretation from reading descriptions of the issue and looking at the diagrams. Believe the engine effected is the CFFB 140 CR and possibly the CBBB and CFGB 170 CR

Oil pump design is very different and appears from the drawings to be shaft driven and it might be this shaft that's causing the problem; item 20 in the drawing below.

Regards,

TP