Vibrations in 2nd gear, DSG 7

kzil

Hey,

Recently I've started to experience vibrations when the DSG7 is going from 1st to 2nd, or shortly after going into 2nd gear. It's more pronounced if I'm accelerating when cornering. At first I thought it was simply a front wheel slipping when accelerating with near full lock, but it also appears when going straight or when not pushing the car at all.

It doesn't happen every time, but maybe every 5th time. If I accelerate very cautiously, the vibrations don't appear. If I give it the beans it just jerks a bit (as a DSG does when pushed in low gears). But sometimes I catch the vibrations and they stay for a while - i.e. a second or so.

It feels like a buzz in the wheel, combined with a low frequency, even brrrrrrrrr-sound, and (maybe) a bit of power loss - like an old fashioned clutch slipping or maybe an engine getting a too lean mixture.

Anyone knows what this might be? It's very uncomforting :-/

Superb Combi DSG 1.8 TSI from 2011. 25.400 km.

/K

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow-up: SKODA test drove my car today, and acknowledges the problem. It is a known issue with the DSG7 and I'm getting a new (and hopefully improved) clutch on the warranty.

Edited by kzil
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Drivers and Readers,

We are a group of drivers who decided to gather on Facebook in the sequence of the DSG7 behavior problems in brand new cars (mostly delivered in 2011).

You can find the group by googling "SOS CLIENTS VW" or directly trough http://lnk.nu/facebook.com/1y4s

We will be pleased to share views and make the number to show Volkswagen they can't get away with their responsabilities.

Hope to see you soon.

Just a quick follow-up: SKODA test drove my car today, and acknowledges the problem. It is a known issue with the DSG7 and I'm getting a new (and hopefully improved) clutch on the warranty.

Hi - jst a quick follow up: New clutch pack installed including something called REP. SATZ. and GFS Guided Function. The tremble has (almost...) dissappeared, but the shifting has gotten worse. It's more "clunky" when pulling off.

What worries me the most is, that at one time, the DSG7 wouldn't go into gear. I stopped ad red lights and went from D to S. When starting, the car just shook - like if the clutch wasn't fully engaged. Had to go to P > D > P > D to have it engage.

7DSG is not 6DSG. This simple truth is brought to you by digi who drove both in the Superb. You pay at the gas station though for the smoother shifting.

Yes - the DSG7 is not the DSG6, and, as you say, not as smooth. I have driven both myself. But I don't see how that fact is related to the problems a lot of people are experiencing with the DSG7. Trust me - the vibrations in the DSG7 I described above are NOT by design, but a clear sign that the clutch pack is toast-to-be. And VW acknowledges this.

Never had vibrations, but a whistle-like sound began a week ago, the more audible the bigger the speed was. I initially thought it was due to a wheel bearing (it came from the left front wheel zone), but I took it to the local dealer yesterday and today I have received the bad news: it came from the gearbox, and they are going to replace it entirely (fortunately I don't have to worry about the cost because it is a company car).

Edited by Alvaro

Yes, of course.

Some days ago I noticed a sound coming from the engine bay, left side. The sound was very similar to the one produced by a bad installed radio, that's to say, a whistling sound that increased with speed, and the frecuency also increased with speed (low velocity = low frequency or bass sound, high speed = high frequency or treble sound). It was independent of the selected gear, the sound at 120 km/h was the same in volume and frequency despite of being in 5th, 6th or 7th gear, and even in "N", so I presumed it did not come from the gearbox (but obviously I was wrong).

I had a similar sound in my wife's Saab 95 SW two years ago and finally it was due to a damaged wheel bearing, so this time I thought it was the same. Even the technician at the local dealer, after going for a ride with my car, thought the same. But when I left the car at the garage last wednesday and they began to investigate, they realised it came from the gearbox.

When I pick up the car next friday I will ask them which was the particular problem (clutch, electronics, ...), and also if the problem is supposed to be solved on the new gearbox. I'll keep you informed.

P.S. Important: I did not suffer the vibrations in 2nd gear or anything else, the gearbox performed very well until a few days ago, 38 months and over 105.000 km.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After having a new clutchpack installed, the vibrations seem to have gone. But now the gearbox shift more abruptly. Furthermore the engine seems to strain a bit while pulling away. The revs are kept very (too) low - so low that the steering wheel vibrates a bit while accelerating.

I finally picked my car up last wednesday. The dealer asked for a new gearbox, but the factory replied that an upgrade was needed before the replacement... an upgrade about the timing chain rollers :nerd: So the car spent a whole week at the dealer waiting for the pieces :swear:

After doing the upgrade, the gearbox could be finally ordered. After another week, the dealer even did not know the scheduled delivery date :wall:

I made a very angry phone call to the Customer Service :swear: and "miracolously" :wonder: the following day the gearbox was sent from the factory. The local dealer recieved it two days after and it was mounted and checked. I drove for over 400 km and did not noticed any special improvement, but yesterday I received a phone call from the dealer asking me for going there because the new gearbox software had not been loaded. The did it in 10 minutes and now the gearbox is smoother, very close to the DSG6 behaviour :rofl:

So it seems to be related with the software. What do you think?

I don't thnk I'd want a used DSG7 equipped car without a comprehensive warranty. Sounds very much like the product hasn't been engineered correctly before being released.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. New clutch pack helped. For a while. Now the box is vibrating, the pull off is slooooow and the wheel shudders. Vibrations in 2 and 4th gear. Sometimes spooky shudders when changing and a constant vibration in the steering wheel at acceleration, especially up hill. The feel of a gearbox dying.

Besides that: FUBAR in the bluetooth department, folding mirrors won't fold using remote, whistling sound from the aircon, quirky steering wheel, uneven idling... I have never ever experienced a new car with this many faults. This will be my last VAG car of any kind, period.

O well - back to the workshop.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post a quick follow up to this never-ending story.

I had the car in for diagnosis while away on holiday. They found out that - surprise surprise - the new clutch pack was thrashed. That means that my DSG 7 has chewed through two double clutches in 18 months. Hmmm...

Anyway: The workshop reset the gearbox and ordered a new clutch pack. This time with a new part no., so this might be the new improved clutch pack. The reset really helped for four days. It felt like a new car and I remembered why I bought a Superb. I rides beautifully, when it works. Now the clutch is slowly slipping back into grinding stone-mode.

Besides that: Folding mirrors fixed, quirky steering wheel fixed, aircon *not* fixed yet, uneven idling still there.

Anyway: The workshop reset the gearbox and ordered a new clutch pack. This time with a new part no., so this might be the new improved clutch pack. The reset really helped for four days. It felt like a new car and I remembered why I bought a Superb. I rides beautifully, when it works. Now the clutch is slowly slipping back into grinding stone-mode.

Thanks for this update. I've recently noticed the exact same symptoms (described in your first post) in my car recently. It's a 2011 1.8TSI Elegance.

Just to clarify has the second new clutch pack been installed? Or was your update about the software reset to the gearbox? Also could you post the part number for the new clutch set?

From reading about this problem elsewhere it seems like the clutch plate hasn't been designed to, or isn't capable of handling the amount of torque being thrown at it. My first service is due next week and I'm still debating if I want it the problem looked into since the vibration isn't always there.

Hope the new clutch pack fixes your problem!

^

This shudder is definitely a preamble to DSG failure. You should get it checked immediately and get it replaced otherwise sooner than later you will be left stranded somewhere. This DSG issue seriously needs to be addressed by Skoda.

Get it checked asap!! It sounds like clutch problems and it will only get worse.

To clarify: This clutch pack (will be installed 7. june) is the second new clutch pack to be installed in my car (no. 3 including the one it came with). According to the workshop it's a redesigned pack.

I think VW/Skoda knows very well that the clutches in the DSG7 has issues and in my opinion they've been trying to avoid recalls by changing clutches as fast as possible, hoping they would last until the redesigned pack is out. Which it seems to be now.

The good news is that the temporary fix (resetting the gearbox) made my car drive excellent for some days, until the clutches went haywire again. So it seems that the problem is with the clutches and not with the box itself. According to the workshop, the box is not much more complicated than a normal gearbox - it's the dry clutches and the mechatronic unit that are the sensitive parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. The car is back from the workshop. A new clutchpack is installed and the part no. is 0AM 198 140 C.

The car drives smoother and with (almost) no vibrations now. The workshop tells me that the clutch/gearbox needs 1.000 km run in, så maybe it will get even better.

Thanks for the update and part number! Hope it's taken care of the problem for good.

The vibrations on my car have almost vanished. It now seems to occur occasionally only when turning + hitting the gas at the same time. Starting to wonder now if it's a wheel balancing issue? Car is scheduled for service this weekend, will have them take a look.

It now seems to occur occasionally only when turning + hitting the gas at the same time. Starting to wonder now if it's a wheel balancing issue? Car is scheduled for service this weekend, will have them take a look.

I'm sorry to say: No, it's not a wheel balance issue. This is the exact symptom of a clutch pack dying. It slips when you strain the drive train. It may be accompanied by high frequency vibrations in several gears. My guess is that if you hit the gas in 3rd or 4th gear going up hill, you wheel feel the same vibrations as the car goes down a gear. Have it checked and insist on that they check the clutch pack.

I really hope that this is "only" a clutch pack issue. For now the car rides great and there's no vibration besides the road (my 225/45/17" tires let a lot of the road surface through to the steering wheel, unfortunately) and only a bit of unevenness in gear changes.

Dear all,

We want to inform you that important news about DSG7 are spreading lately :

-1- At last !! For the first time a major news media in Europe has reported the complains of DSG7 clients about the jerks and about the noisy metalic behavior in slow speed (mainly with 1.4 engine).

Original article :

http://www.rtl.be/info/belgique/societe/885616/des-voitures-vw-victimes-d-etranges-problemes-mais-que-cache-la-note-tpi2026097-#commentFormContent

Translation into english (automatic) :

http://lnk.nu/translate.google.pt/22dt

- 2- VW China has recently offered a 10 years manufacturing waranty on DSG7 since the number of complaining clients has conducted chinese Quality authorities to start a inquiry. In order to restaure confidence, VW has decided to offer such waranty but did not made a recall of products.

http://www.chinaautoreview.com/pub/CARArticle.aspx?ID=7459

Come and regroup in our Facebook page "SOS CLIENTS VW"

Dear Drivers and Readers,

We are a group of drivers who decided to gather on Facebook in the sequence of the DSG7 behavior problems in brand new cars (mostly delivered in 2011).

You can find the group by googling "SOS CLIENTS VW" or directly trough http://lnk.nu/facebook.com/1y4s

We will be pleased to share views and make the number to show Volkswagen they can't get away with their responsabilities.

Hope to see you soon.