Had Its Chips :-(

It never rains but it pours I cant believe my luck latley! With my MOT today I decided to restore my ECU back to standard with BLUEFIN incase the rumours of the new law JAN 1ST 2012 are true that if a car is remapped it will fail its MOT. Anyway it was going ok until the end the fan kicked in even tho the car was cold then it said 'restore complete turn off ignition and unplugg' so I tried to start it and it just turns! Then the red steering wheel symbol shows along with a 'beep' and the fan starts up again. I tried reconnecting the bluefin again and it says error code E001. VCDS Wont scan the engine it says 'Too many faults' I scanned the ABS and got 01341 Meaning a fault with the engine ECU due to a remap. Has anyone else had this? I intend to ring superchips as soon as they open :|

oh dear sounds like you might have pooped your own ecu !!!!

the whole thing about it failing mot is rollocks as 99% of mot stations wont have the equipment to see if it has or hasnt !!!

dont read into the hype with things like this imo until the day someone is actually failed i doubt it will be an issue for a few years yet !!

the whole thing about it failing mot is rollocks as 99% of mot stations wont have the equipment to see if it has or hasnt !!!

dont read into the hype with things like this imo until the day someone is actually failed i doubt it will be an issue for a few years yet !!

Yes, there are some ridiculous rumours going round at the moment about what is in the new MOT.

MOT test manual

That's the official manual, if its not in there its not in the test. Simple as that. MOT testers neither know nor care what map your car has.

Doesn't sound good on the ECU front though :(

There are a lot of rumors going around at the moment but you have to remember a few very important things.

The MOT is being brought in line with Europe ( so they say ).

Yes it may say that any illegal tuning mods can be a fail.

But over here as far as I am aware its not Illegal to chip or remap an ECU...

PHEW! rang superchips and the problem is solved but only able to run with the MOD MAP until they make some changes to the ORI that should have been done in the first place, Something to do with the closing part of the programme. But im not out of the woods yet im sitting waiting for it to be tested lol it should be OK tho superchips say the rumours are just proposals so nothing to worry about....yet.

Glad you got it sorted. The MOT thing is pure scare mongering though. Even the dealerships have no way of knowing if a car has been remapped using the diagnostic equipment that they have. The equipment that they use is not that sophisticated, but the main thing is that they are not looking for remaps, and the diagnostics will not alert them to this. It would need some very thorough investigation to uncover and they don't have time for this. Some dealers offer their own remaps anyway so what happens to those?!

I know someone who had a heavily modified GTI. He had probs with the DSG box and the upshot was he needed a new gearbox (which costs many thousands of pounds!). Even though the car actually looked obviosuly modified all the work was covered by warranty and nothing untoward showed up on the diagnostics.

Can't see how they could make it illegal tbh. They aren't allowed to do anything invasive on an MOT so how they could detect a remap or a DPF delete is beyond me (apart from the obvious inclusion of smoke on the smoke test!).

As has been said, law or not its scaremongering.

Wow proper worried for you there reading thread glad there has been a happy ending so far

Scary stuff mate lol I checked and couldnt find a used ECU on ebay the closest was from a 2008 leon cupra I think they are 240 BHP it was only £250 maybe we should go for an ECU change rather than a remap.

Can't see how they could make it illegal tbh. They aren't allowed to do anything invasive on an MOT so how they could detect a remap or a DPF delete is beyond me (apart from the obvious inclusion of smoke on the smoke test!).

As has been said, law or not its scaremongering.

I think the only way would be on the emissions test, more fuel is burned under load....spoil sports Edited by 07 vRS Taxi

I think the only way would be on the emissions test, more fuel is burned under load....spoil sports

Is yours a diesel or petrol? If it is a diesel, emissions aren't tested. :thumbup: