The definitive Yeti roof bar poll!

angrybeard

The Yeti roof bar question  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What Yeti roof bar would you recommend from experience?

• Skoda original Bars (LAS630001)
    • Thule pro rack (775 footpack and bars)
    • Other

I wanted to buy the whispbar, but was adviced against it because of the panoramic sunroof. Bought the Skoda bars instead.

S45 is the correct whispbar size for the Yeti, re http://butikk.naf.no...%20Whispbar.htm

ONLY if you have old fashioned U-clamp fittings!!!!!!!!!!!! See my post #12 above and the image showing how modern quality roof bar systems attach. NOTHING will hang below the bar thus Whispbars can safely be fitted with a sunroof AND you can open the sunroof.

ONLY if you have old fashioned U-clamp fittings!!!!!!!!!!!! See my post #12 above and the image showing how modern quality roof bar systems attach. NOTHING will hang below the bar thus Whispbars can safely be fitted with a sunroof AND you can open the sunroof.

Thank you for pointing that out. It was the dealer that told me the whispbar and sunroof was a bad match, and recommended thule or the Skoda bars. I much prefer the whispbars.

Haven't put the bars on yet, so will return them and order the whispbars instead! :)

Edited by Sibre

The dealership Caffyns are selling genuine roof bars for the Yeti @ £124+ £10 p&p at the moment on fleabay:

Just ordered some as they represent a good compromise at that price level between the Thule bars and the wispbars

• Like 1

The dealership Caffyns are selling genuine roof bars for the Yeti @ £124+ £10 p&p at the moment on fleabay:

Just ordered some as they represent a good compromise at that price level between the Thule bars and the wispbars

Thanks, I've just seen it, what's mad is I contacted caffyn's, as it is one of the dealer's local to me, and they said they would be sold at the RRP of £165!

I wanted to buy the whispbar, but was adviced against it because of the panoramic sunroof. Bought the Skoda bars instead.

S45 is the correct whispbar size for the Yeti, re http://butikk.naf.no...%20Whispbar.htm

Trouble is, that table gives the recommended bars for my E91 BMW320d Touring as S45, whereas I have S44, which fit nicely. I also have a note from Robin Archer at Whispbar, "The recommended PRS45 bars will fit gaps between 98 and 108 cms, while your existing PRS44 bars fit gaps between 92 and 102 cms." That implies that either will fit the Yeti but I shall have to measure the distance to be sure.

Chris

Could someone please let me know quickly (ie today) how the Thule bars fit to the rails?

I have a price on a set of the proper Skoda bars, and have worked out how they fit, but wish to compare the two. Rush is that the Skoda ones are at the dealers in Swansea and if I order for them before Wednesday a certain nice member will pick them up for me.

Morning! The answer is by a rubber tongue which passes under the roof rail and is captured by its' end which slips into the bar end and is tightened by a worm drive operated by an allen screw in the bar end.

The tongue loose.

IMG_0958.jpg

The tongue engaged

IMG_0959.jpg

The winding mechanism (the end cap contains the allen key)

IMG_0960.jpg

It is a sturdy fitting and although inelegant in operation not hard to secure. It is the transferability which necessitates the rubber stretch method rather than the designed to fit nature of the Skoda items.

Phoned up caffyns regarding the skoda original roof bars as previously mentioned advertised on Ebay and they have no clue regarding the black and silver screw options to match the roof rails, they said the are looking into it, and would call me back in 5mins, that was nearly two hours ago!

According to them there is only one part number for roof rails and nothing to denote about the screw colours, anyone offer any assistance regarding this? so close, but yet so far!

Phoned up caffyns regarding the skoda original roof bars as previously mentioned advertised on Ebay and they have no clue regarding the black and silver screw options to match the roof rails, they said the are looking into it, and would call me back in 5mins, that was nearly two hours ago!

According to them there is only one part number for roof rails and nothing to denote about the screw colours, anyone offer any assistance regarding this? so close, but yet so far!

I'm 100% sure about this as when I ordered mine my dealer said you have to order with the chassis number as there are two colours for the bolts. I've seen both sets too since FocusZtec has silver bolts on his silver rails and I have black bolts on my black rails.

Photo proof here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/208363-my-near-yeti-twin/page__view__findpost__p__2462891

Print that and show it to your dozy dealer's part shop!

I return finistere tonight, but need to come back to nth worcs soon(mid / late may) I may be able to help!! - however do need to check the price.

T

Thanks Tony. That sounds like a plan!! :rock:

I'm 100% sure about this as when I ordered mine my dealer said you have to order with the chassis number as there are two colours for the bolts. I've seen both sets too since FocusZtec has silver bolts on his silver rails and I have black bolts on my black rails.

Photo proof here:

http://www.briskoda....ost__p__2462891

Print that and show it to your dozy dealer's part shop!

Cheers Johann,

After waiting several hours for a call back, I called again myself, the parts guy said 'he has spoken to Skoda UK and they are unaware of colour options, and they only do the one colour of screws, and they are silver'(i have black rails), I mentioned the forum again and the discussions that you have had in the past, and he said that 'people MUST adapt them themselves or get them from a motor factors shop, as colour choice is not an options from Skoda UK', i tried to offer the forum as proof otherwise, but no...

Arghhhh, they are saying that there are only two sets left, and the sale ends tonight, don't you just HATE useless dealers, somebody give me a job, I LISTEN to customers!

Swinging back towards Thule again!

Cheers Johann,

After waiting several hours for a call back, I called again myself, the parts guy said 'he has spoken to Skoda UK and they are unaware of colour options, and they only do the one colour of screws, and they are silver'(i have black rails), I mentioned the forum again and the discussions that you have had in the past, and he said that 'people MUST adapt them themselves or get them from a motor factors shop, as colour choice is not an options from Skoda UK', i tried to offer the forum as proof otherwise, but no...

Arghhhh, they are saying that there are only two sets left, and the sale ends tonight, don't you just HATE useless dealers, somebody give me a job, I LISTEN to customers!

Swinging back towards Thule again!

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Email them those two photos and show them what planks they are. I'd wager 10 to one they did NOT phone Škoda UK. They completely forgot about you and are telling porkies to make up for it. I'd suggest you phone SUK yourself and you will get the answer I gave you for sure.

Even better save this picture to email to them showing clearly BLACK bolts (on a silver rail). But you want black so here is the proof:

roofrails4.jpg

I am pretty much to the point where I give up with them, they are an hours drive, and the reason for the cheaper price is a sale, personally I feel that they bought a load of bars in, possibly from abroad at a cheaper price (which is surely why they can offer £40 off, when no-one else will) and all they have is silver screws, so are trying to Fob me off by saying that everyone on this forum is a liar who paints their screws and then tries to make out there manufacturer stock!!! I'm having to pick my battles atm, and they obv aren't going to budge, so they have told me they will hold some bars in stock and honour the price, despite the sale ending today, even though I said I didn't know when I would be able to make it in to pick them up

It really does drive me mad

Thule also makes the 969 Wingbar which is a 1270 mm wingshaped aluminum bar.

Price over here is ca 2000 NOK for a complete set of 969 Wingbars and 775 Clamps.

Morning! The answer is by a rubber tongue which passes under the roof rail and is captured by its' end which slips into the bar end and is tightened by a worm drive operated by an allen screw in the bar end.

(...)

It is a sturdy fitting and although inelegant in operation not hard to secure. It is the transferability which necessitates the rubber stretch method rather than the designed to fit nature of the Skoda items.

In case anyone wondered I just wanted to add that the tongues mentioned are made of steel and only covered in rubber ;)

Setup of mine consists of Thule 775 clamps and 127 cm Norauto alu bars (which are in fact made by Thule and are equivalent of 869 bars). For me having longer bars (used with T bolts is an advantage over the Skoda solution).

Can anyone confirm if the Skoda original bars have the T-track system for securing accessories, as the thule aero bars do?

Do you ever find you've got too much time on your hands for these things.... Soon I'll have a roof rack meaning I can take my bike to Trails and stop interweb looking!

Can anyone confirm if the Skoda original bars have the T-track system for securing accessories, as the thule aero bars do?

Erm see my post #12 above as well as my first post explaining that the OE system uses the T-track system.

Erm see my post #12 above as well as my first post explaining that the OE system uses the T-track system.

Apologies, I swear I am starting to lose my mind on the subject (and everything else...), Now I look again I do see the mention!

Ok, so I think I'll go for the ones with the wrong coloured screws at £125 if they still do them, mainly because the Thule aero bars best price brings that option up to £140

Does anyone know if it is possible to get replacement screws to have black ones?

Last question on the subject I promise!!!

Apologies, I swear I am starting to lose my mind on the subject (and everything else...), Now I look again I do see the mention!

Ok, so I think I'll go for the ones with the wrong coloured screws at £125 if they still do them, mainly because the Thule aero bars best price brings that option up to £140

Does anyone know if it is possible to get replacement screws to have black ones?

Last question on the subject I promise!!!

Hehehe. No worries.

AFAIK you can buy similar bolts elsewhere or at Halfords.