Fabia MK II Vrs Has Launch Control, Well ours has.............

fletch555,

I have another idea you could maybe try if you're desperately after LC in the DSG7. How about putting it in Neutral, there it's possible to rev it up to 3K, and when it's there push the stick back to D....

Will it catapult forward? Will it just ignore it until revs drop to 1200 rpm and then go as normal? Or will you end up with a 4-digit repair bill? Nobody knows till we try! Obviously I wouldn't try this on my car though.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

fletch555,

I have another idea you could maybe try if you're desperately after LC in the DSG7. How about putting it in Neutral, there it's possible to rev it up to 3K, and when it's there push the stick back to D....

Will it catapult forward? Will it just ignore it until revs drop to 1200 rpm and then go as normal? Or will you end up with a 4-digit repair bill? Nobody knows till we try! Obviously I wouldn't try this on my car though.

Do not do that if you value your gearbox, the sudden load on the gearbox internals and the rest of the drivetrain will kill it very quickly. The DSG 7 is the weakest of all the DSG boxes, so its not going to last long.

fletch555,

Ermm..  It can't catapult forward by shifting from N to D with any number of revs because to do that you must have your foot on the footbrake.

The reason being - it is an interlock to stop you, erm, catapulting forward when you select D

• Like 1

Lol at the above serious answers...!  :rofl:

PS. From D to N you don't need to apply foot-brake and I thought the same stands for going from N to D, can't check it right now though.

PS.2 Now that I recall, it can go from D to N and back to D without any foot-brake, I've accidentally done this once I thought I was in manual and pushed the stick to shift up. Oops, it was already in D so it went in N, revs jumped to something like 3500 rpm, realised what I did, pushed back to D, (at around 1500 I think) and continued, all this while rolling.

So eccleshill's post i think is not correct, my challenge stands to anyone interested (and not caring about possible damage)

Edited by newbie69

Foot on brake cuts power from the engine, so that is to stop highiest revving.

Then there are the various other features to reduce damage.

That 'Green', 'Foot Brake' pedal light keeps showing.

I like a litlle roll (creap) forward on light throttle, it might be into 2nd at 4mph anyway,

or ready to go right into 2nd,

and then floor it for normal 'quick start offs'. & no wheel spin.

Foot on brake cuts power from the engine, so that is to stop highiest revving.

Then there are the various other features to reduce damage.

That 'Green', 'Foot Brake' pedal light keeps showing.

You're saying you can't go from N to D without foot-brake? Because I am pretty sure you can, same as you can go from D to N not just without foot-brake but even while normally rolling because I've accidentally done it.

I would be loathed to try any kind of Launch Control sequence with a car not specifically equipped.

Perhaps, ahem, 'events' outside of "normal operating conditions" are logged and can be viewed by Dealers etc when diagnosing faults (probably a shot DSG) and just before you wave goodbye to any warranty claim.

Edited by Lee

Lol at the above serious answers...!  :rofl:

PS. From D to N you don't need to apply foot-brake and I thought the same stands for going from N to D, can't check it right now though.

PS.2 Now that I recall, it can go from D to N and back to D without any foot-brake, I've accidentally done this once I thought I was in manual and pushed the stick to shift up. Oops, it was already in D so it went in N, revs jumped to something like 3500 rpm, realised what I did, pushed back to D, (at around 1500 I think) and continued, all this while rolling.

So eccleshill's post i think is not correct, my challenge stands to anyone interested (and not caring about possible damage)

You can go from D ==> N without footbrake.  You can go from N===>D without footbrake if you are rolling but not if stationary because the shift lever is locked until you press the footbrake.

• Like 1

You need the footbrake (N -> D) only if stationary, as said two posts up.

And that's not pressing on the brake very hard, just enough to make the little green light go out on the dash, which is a very light touch.

In theory you could rev it in neutral to the limiter, gentle press the foot brake and pop it into D, which will either be followed by a sudden surge forwards or an expensive bang.

• Like 1

When I had my original A-Class ('03 1.9 Petrol Auto) I was rolling down quite a steep hill in traffic, by accident knocked the shifter from D > N. Took a while to notice as was only rolling slightly, until I saw the dash say "N". 

So, whilst still rolling relatively smoothly, I put it back in to D. Next time I touched the throttle, the car stopped sharply and shot back and almost went straight in to the car behind if I hadn't have reacted fast enough.

Damn thing went in to reverse for some reason, even though the shifter was in D and the dash said D. Really worried me lol.

You're 100% sure on this? I had the impression once you're off P, you can go from N to D with no foot-brake but can't try it out at the moment as I'm away.

After 3yrs and 36,000 miles with a DSG7 I am 110% certain.  There is even a little green warning light to remind you

http://www.vwgenuineparts.co.uk/images/397-1-800.jpg

Just tried in my 13 plater, when stationary need to press brake to go from N to D but once there it will go from D to N and back to D without brake pedal but only ONCE then foot brake needed again.