How-to: Replace Fabia aerial base.

del-gti

There may already be a 'how-to' for this but I couldn't find it, so decided to take a few pics while I changed mine.

Tools required:

22mm spanner (or adjustable)

Couple of flathead screwdrivers (or trim removal tool)

Needle nose pliers

Replacement aerial/base, part no: 1U0035505F, cost approx £36 from eBay.

Mustering:

image-1.jpg

The trim to be removed. Gently prise the trim away starting at one side. The more you remove the easier it gets. Be careful not to snap the plastic as it can be quite brittle, especially in cold weather. Trim removal tool comes in handy for this but screwdriver worked for me. Also didn't need to pull rubber seal out, just move the trim passed it.

image-2.jpg

The removed trim showing the location of the clips. They are the metal type which are at least more sturdy than the plastic ones but mean that you can snap the plastic groove of the trim that they sit in. As you can see, I managed to leave a couple in the body of the car but fortunately didn't snap any trim.

image-3.jpg

Slide the headlining past the black plastic stud and pull it down enough to access the nut.

image-4.jpg

The nut.

image-10.jpg

Disconnect the aerial connection. It should be hidden under some foam. Simply slide it back then disconnect. Don't forget to slide it back over after fitting new aerial, otherwise it may produce a rattle against the roof.

image-11.jpg

There's a hole in my roof!

image-6.jpg

That's better.

image-7.jpg

Ease the headlining back up to the black plastic stud. Use the pliers to tease any of the metal clips from the car and refit in the trim. Slip the seal back over and it's job done.

image-8.jpg

Car might need a vacuum session after this. Looks like someone with a bad case of dandruff has been sitting in the back. Don't worry, it's just little bits of foam from the edge of the headlining.

image-12.jpg

Don't worry about creasing the headlining. It looks bad when your a doing the job but when it's back in place the creases disappear quite quickly. It's a simple job but a bit fiddly, an actual long reach 22mm spanner would have been better.

Time taken: 30-45 mins.

Hope this helps others who find their Fabia with poor radio reception.

Cheers

Del

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've just had a go at replacing the aerial base on our Fabia 2 (58 reg), but have chickened out at the first hurdle. 

The headlining is not as described in the OP, but just has a couple of press studs to hold the rear of it and the rear edge is just tucked under the rubber seal at the back.  I've removed the two studs and pulled the headlining out from the rubber seal, and can pull the headlining down enough to access the foam-wrapped connector, but I don't seem to be able to get any further towards the aerial base without bending the headlining and putting a crease into it, as it appears to be held against the roof further forwards.

Is there something I've missed, or do I just need to persevere with it? 

I've just had a go at replacing the aerial base on our Fabia 2 (58 reg), but have chickened out at the first hurdle.

The headlining is not as described in the OP, but just has a couple of press studs to hold the rear of it and the rear edge is just tucked under the rubber seal at the back. I've removed the two studs and pulled the headlining out from the rubber seal, and can pull the headlining down enough to access the foam-wrapped connector, but I don't seem to be able to get any further towards the aerial base without bending the headlining and putting a crease into it, as it appears to be held against the roof further forwards.

Is there something I've missed, or do I just need to persevere with it?

I believe this guide is for a mk1

Never mind, I've sussed it.  Totally different to the guide, I guess because it's a Mk 2.  Radio reception is amazing now compared to previously (not that that would be difficult!). :happy:

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just did this job using this helpful guide - thanks to the OP.  A couple of points that might help: The clips in the trip piece come out/go in vertically - i.e. they have to be pulled straight downwards. You can't see this until you get the first couple undone. The other thing - I would not suggest using a 22mm spanner for this job, as most 22mm spanners are going to be so long that it will be awkward to get the business end on the nut and work it in the confined space above the headlining.  Also if you use a foot-long spanner to tighten the nut it would probably be quite easy to overdo it. I'd suggest a stubby adjustable, or even a socket on a stubby ratchet.  Hope this helps...

P.S. I did the job on the GF's Fabia 1 vrs, not my Fabia 2.

Edited by sr.fabia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

great guide, I replaced my base with a £2.98 replacement off ebay.  Works a treat and much much cheaper! Items were identical - the old one just had water erosion as the gasket had perished.  Only thing I did different was to use a 22mm nut (no wrench just use your hand to hold it) to tighten the aerial fastner as it gives better grip and hand tight is more than enough once you have it aligned straight.  With regards to the creases...with clean hands just rub them and they disappear.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Vehicle-Auto-Roof-Arial-Antenna-Stubby-Sting-Mast-Base-For-VW-Golf-/251885271829

Edited by trunks_mk1

• 1 month later...

I have just bought a 'short' aerial and am looking to swap it for the original.

Is the only way of removing the aerial itself from underneath? i.e - removing the headlining etc?

I understand the anti theft reasoning though. Just wondering if there is an easier way of quickly swapping the aerial itself without taking the headlining out?

JRJG

I have just bought a 'short' aerial and am looking to swap it for the original.

Is the only way of removing the aerial itself from underneath? i.e - removing the headlining etc?

I understand the anti theft reasoning though. Just wondering if there is an easier way of quickly swapping the aerial itself without taking the headlining out?

JRJG

when you say short aerial you mean a shark fin one?  if so yes...if its just a shorter aerial mast (not the base part) than it will screw out.

when you say short aerial you mean a shark fin one?  if so yes...if its just a shorter aerial mast (not the base part) than it will screw out.

I mean a shorter mast - the new one I have to replace it is perhaps only two/three inches long.

I have tried unscrewing the original long mast out, once it gets to a certain stage it just continuously spins. As though it has a 'security' lock. I am told the reason the original mast unscrews a certain amount is so that it can be folded down when going through a car wash (not sure how much truth there is behind this) ?

Thank you for your reply anyhow.

JRJG

I mean a shorter mast - the new one I have to replace it is perhaps only two/three inches long.

I have tried unscrewing the original long mast out, once it gets to a certain stage it just continuously spins. As though it has a 'security' lock. I am told the reason the original mast unscrews a certain amount is so that it can be folded down when going through a car wash (not sure how much truth there is behind this) ?

JRJG

not sure mate on the locking system....I didn't see anything on mine when I removed it but just changing the mast should be a screw on and screw off.  If you can't figure it out,  you might have to replace the base if you can't get it off.  Might be easier to sort out too once off the car, you might be able to get the original long one off.

• 3 months later...

advice...i changed my head unit and the aerial cable head has snapped off...how easy is it to replace the head, get another one, cut and solder them together?  I can do that bit but is there any special type to get?  I have lots of spare ends.  Can I just solder the right ISO connector to it? Understand that I will still need the booster.

Thanks

JRJG

Yes mine too is like this, it only loosen so you can fold it down into a carwash or if you need to cover the car (instead of removing it completely) it never screws off . Kind of security measure too, so it won't be stolen! Edited by Droculoplastics

To remove the aerial from the base you unscrew it till it just spins round then give it a really really big yank and it should come off. It might feel like you're going to pull the base off the roof but believe me you won't. ;)

The mrs' vRS has started getting very poor radio reception so looks like i'll be using this guide to replace the aerial base on her car.

Yes mine too is like this, it only loosen so you can fold it down into a carwash or if you need to cover the car (instead of removing it completely) it never screws off . Kind of security measure too, so it won't be stolen!

this is the new type...it doesn't come off, its just unscrews, losens and like you said you can fold it back.  just means if it ever breaks you would have to replace the whole thing.