CALLING ALL TAXI DRIVERS AND HIGH MILEAGE USERS WHY THE SKODA OCTAVIA OVER THE TOYOTA AVENSIS

I am looking for a new taxi for my father as his Vectra has seen its days and faced many problems despite being looked after.

I own a Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D T-spirit. Which has been reliable but has not been on the go 24/7 as a taxi would.

Why a Octavia/superb over a Avensis.

Just want to see which is the most reliable and best for him.

The skoda would have to be 1.9 engine and the avensis the 2.0.

Have any of you came from the avensis or will be going to the avensis after a skoda.

all opinions welcome. 

1.9, so you are buying used then? 

Avensises and Octavias are both pretty popular as taxis up here in Finland. I would go with a Skoda simply because the Avensis only came in manual up until very recently. If I was a taxi driver, a manual gearbox would be out of the question. If you don't mind rowing cogs back and forth, I would bet on the Avensis for reliability even though I would buy (and did buy) the skoda for personal preferences. I'm not a 'japanese car person', I guess. 

Buying an used car for taxi use is pretty much unheard of here. They are usually bought new and driven until they rack up 150,000-200,000 km although I've been in a few really ratty E classes with far more than twice that. 

Edited by Perc

I am new (3 weeks) to Octavia ownership, so really not qualified to speak on this subject, but here is my 2 pennorth.

While contemplating buying this car, I went to stay with a long time friend in Sussex. He is a private hire driver and runs a Mondeo Titanium.

During our stay we were fortunate enough to meet his son, also a private hire driver, now on his second Superb. Despite his fathers arguments that the Mondeo was better, (had lots of gadgets that played pretty tunes?????) the son said absolutely that the Superb was far superior in every way to his fathers Mondeo. His first Superb did 270,000 miles, without issue.

I once drove an Avensis, many years ago, and found the driving position 'awkward'.

Suffice to say, after 3 weeks I am totally enamoured with my Octavia.

Hope this helps.

1.9, so you are buying used then? 

Avensises and Octavias are both pretty popular as taxis up here in Finland. I would go with a Skoda simply because the Avensis only came in manual up until very recently. If I was a taxi driver, a manual gearbox would be out of the question. If you don't mind rowing cogs back and forth, I would bet on the Avensis for reliability even though I would buy (and did buy) the skoda for personal preferences. I'm not a 'japanese car person', I guess. 

Buying an used car for taxi use is pretty much unheard of here. They are usually bought new and driven until they rack up 150,000-200,000 km although I've been in a few really ratty E classes with far more than twice that. 

Thank you for your reply. Yes the car will be used. cannot afford a new brand new one. My dad always has had manuals so new car will be manual. 150,000 km is around 90/95 thousand mile? That's roughly the mileage that the "new" car will have. or maybe more depending on price. 

I'm not really bothered about the looks of the car, Reliability is the main factor for us.

There are not many avensis round this way on taxi's. mainly skoda's, but if I go south there is a lot more. I mean leeds/bradford are full of them even seen the old shape as 2001/2002 shape and in petrols  :o.

Having him owning 2 Carina E's he has trust in Toyota. but his mates and other taxi drivers round here are recommending the skoda's

I am new (3 weeks) to Octavia ownership, so really not qualified to speak on this subject, but here is my 2 pennorth.

While contemplating buying this car, I went to stay with a long time friend in Sussex. He is a private hire driver and runs a Mondeo Titanium.

During our stay we were fortunate enough to meet his son, also a private hire driver, now on his second Superb. Despite his fathers arguments that the Mondeo was better, (had lots of gadgets that played pretty tunes?????) the son said absolutely that the Superb was far superior in every way to his fathers Mondeo. His first Superb did 270,000 miles, without issue.

I once drove an Avensis, many years ago, and found the driving position 'awkward'.

Suffice to say, after 3 weeks I am totally enamoured with my Octavia.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. all of it helps. Keep them coming guys!!

Ford is out the question.sorry for the ford fans.

270k without an issue?? is that 100%. I cannot see it being on the original clutch and flywheel.

looking for Octavia estate/ superb/ avensis

mind you a good one isn't easy to find haha. always the fear in the back of my mind. It has already been a taxi and clocked.

I have a 2.0 TDI with 176K on it, the original clutch was replaced last month. My Fabia with a 1.9 TDI is on 130k. Both with no issues. So long as you keep em services and maintained regularly they should see you right for years.

Superb is a good call for a taxi though. The back is a tardis!

Sent using my Breville Sandwich Toaster...

• Like 1

My friend has an Avensis and he says it is rather dull to drive. He's done 60k miles with out any major problems. Personally I think the Avensis has bland styling, some people might like this, but I prefer the Octavia.I wanted the Scout so an Avensis was never on the cards.

I have a 2.0 TDI with 176K on it, the original clutch was replaced last month. My Fabia with a 1.9 TDI is on 130k. Both with no issues. So long as you keep em services and maintained regularly they should see you right for years.

Superb is a good call for a taxi though. The back is a tardis!

One thing is putting me of a superb that its a saloon prefer hatchbacks..don't mind the octavia estate.

My friend has an Avensis and he says it is rather dull to drive. He's done 60k miles with out any major problems. Personally I think the Avensis has bland styling, some people might like this, but I prefer the Octavia.I wanted the Scout so an Avensis was never on the cards.

I'm not too bothered about dull its going to be a work horse.

I just don't want it to spend more time in a garage than the road like the 120 cdti vectra we have.

The new superb is a hatchback AND a saloon (cue hallelujah-esque chorus) although depending on what you want to spend it might be a bit pricey but you should definitely check it out!

Before I bought my Octavia I went to the local car supermarket for a mooch round. Got in the front of a Superb, adjusted the drivers seat for me (6 foot tall) and then got in the back. The front seat was easily 6 inches from my knees!

Definitely worth a look :-)

I have octavia 1.4tsi petrol as a taxi and I've never had any problems.

It will have to be the 1.9 pd engine 

The new superb is a hatchback AND a saloon (cue hallelujah-esque chorus) although depending on what you want to spend it might be a bit pricey but you should definitely check it out!

Before I bought my Octavia I went to the local car supermarket for a mooch round. Got in the front of a Superb, adjusted the drivers seat for me (6 foot tall) and then got in the back. The front seat was easily 6 inches from my knees!

Definitely worth a look :-)

Yes I know the new superb is a hatchback but the one I am looking at is the mk1 upto 2007. I cannot afford the new one I'm afraid :(

Same face as I pulled when I realised I couldn't afford one too :-(

My Octavia boot is like an aircraft hangar though. Every time I open it I'm amazed at how much room is in it. It's certainly more interesting than an Avensis too. I know you say that it's a workhorse and that doesn't matter but it really is a nice place to sit. I've done a trip to the office in mine (Leicester to Aberdeen) and it was much more comfortable than anything else I've done it in. Worth every penny.

Same face as I pulled when I realised I couldn't afford one too :-(

My Octavia boot is like an aircraft hangar though. Every time I open it I'm amazed at how much room is in it. It's certainly more interesting than an Avensis too. I know you say that it's a workhorse and that doesn't matter but it really is a nice place to sit. I've done a trip to the office in mine (Leicester to Aberdeen) and it was much more comfortable than anything else I've done it in. Worth every penny.

If any of 3 come up close for sale near me. I will be going to look at them. constantly checking autotrader,gumtree,ebay..can anyone recommend any other places to look, if it brakes forum rules please just pm with website name.

My dads taxi is the Toyota Verso with the 2.0 D4D and has over 150k.

All minor issues resolved by dealer.

I myself also find it boring/dull to drive, no excitement.

Very good and refined engine, and reliable and cheap shop revisions.

Why many buy skodas with the 1.9 tdi , simple, fuel economy. Dads is running around 7.0 liters per 100km, I do 5.5

My dads taxi is the Toyota Verso with the 2.0 D4D and has over 150k.

All minor issues resolved by dealer.

I myself also find it boring/dull to drive, no excitement.

Very good and refined engine, and reliable and cheap shop revisions.

Why many buy skodas with the 1.9 tdi , simple, fuel economy. Dads is running around 7.0 liters per 100km, I do 5.5

Thank you for input just out of interest is the verso on original flywheel and clutch.

I ve had two taxi both skoda first one 1.9 diesel superb 59 plate bougth brand new sold it with 95000 mls on clock only prob was 2 flywheels both done under warranty now got octavia vrs 11 plate had it one half years not a prob with it would always pick skoda as a taxi.

I ve had two taxi both skoda first one 1.9 diesel superb 59 plate bougth brand new sold it with 95000 mls on clock only prob was 2 flywheels both done under warranty now got octavia vrs 11 plate had it one half years not a prob with it would always pick skoda as a taxi.

95,000 is not alot of miles to me. I'm hoping to more than double that. out of interest why did you sell with 95,000.

Can offer you the view that I look after a pd130 skoda superb taxi here in Northumberland, tge car was bought with 80k on it, its had cv boots a couple of arms and metely disks and pads since. Its now in 405k yes 405000miles

My 1st octavia was moved on with 250,000+miles, a 1.9 Diesel, still on original clutch, exhaust and battery.  Stupid car park dents externally, but still shone up well.  Drivers seat was rather tatty.

May we ask why the concern about clutches - is someone a "rider"? 

Mk2's have a dual mass fly wheel, which will need replacing "sometime".  80 - 100,000 miles being "popular".  I just had mine done - friction surfaces fine, flywheel not. 

There is a "taxi" upgrade, fitting a solid single mass flywheel, which is apparantly approved  and by all accounts works well.

By and large, most cars are well designed and put together these days, you just have to choose one which best suits your needs.  All vehicles will have weak spots and the odd failure, you just hope it won't be you. 

Its likely a modern car will ends its days for a toatally trivial reason.  With no resale value after not many years, even stuff like a broken door mirror costs more to replace than the car is worth.

Can offer you the view that I look after a pd130 skoda superb taxi here in Northumberland, tge car was bought with 80k on it, its had cv boots a couple of arms and metely disks and pads since. Its now in 405k yes 405000miles

Thank you. 405k! astonishing. 

My 1st octavia was moved on with 250,000+miles, a 1.9 Diesel, still on original clutch, exhaust and battery.  Stupid car park dents externally, but still shone up well.  Drivers seat was rather tatty.

May we ask why the concern about clutches - is someone a "rider"? 

Mk2's have a dual mass fly wheel, which will need replacing "sometime".  80 - 100,000 miles being "popular".  I just had mine done - friction surfaces fine, flywheel not. 

There is a "taxi" upgrade, fitting a solid single mass flywheel, which is apparantly approved  and by all accounts works well.

By and large, most cars are well designed and put together these days, you just have to choose one which best suits your needs.  All vehicles will have weak spots and the odd failure, you just hope it won't be you. 

Its likely a modern car will ends its days for a toatally trivial reason.  With no resale value after not many years, even stuff like a broken door mirror costs more to replace than the car is worth.

Thank you. DMF'S are a failure on most diesels these days.

Hi,

I went from an Astra Coupe Turbo to an Avensis 1.8 TX3 (2004) due to starting a family. The car was rated high for safety. The drive was dull but the car was extremely reliable, in 5 years just had the front brake pads changed due to a squel. The Toyota service was second to none in my experience and what I would call cheap (most expensive £144 with the brake pads). It looked no different after 5 years in wear/tear as when I bought it.

I changed to the Octavia VRS (2010) as I wanted a car of similiar size but missed the turbo power. The car has been reliable, servicing costs are not too bad. Only issue I've had is with the drivers bolster seat started to collapse but was sent away and fixed. Otherwise I still hae the car and I am not looking to replace it soon. My only worry is this random chain tensioner issue (2.0 TSI) that may occur in he future but only covered 16K so far.

I can see why both cars would make a reliable taxi.

Hi,

I went from an Astra Coupe Turbo to an Avensis 1.8 TX3 (2004) due to starting a family. The car was rated high for safety. The drive was dull but the car was extremely reliable, in 5 years just had the front brake pads changed due to a squel. The Toyota service was second to none in my experience and what I would call cheap (most expensive £144 with the brake pads). It looked no different after 5 years in wear/tear as when I bought it.

I changed to the Octavia VRS (2010) as I wanted a car of similiar size but missed the turbo power. The car has been reliable, servicing costs are not too bad. Only issue I've had is with the drivers bolster seat started to collapse but was sent away and fixed. Otherwise I still hae the car and I am not looking to replace it soon. My only worry is this random chain tensioner issue (2.0 TSI) that may occur in he future but only covered 16K so far.

I can see why both cars would make a reliable taxi.

thank you for your opinion.  that's the only main response I am getting with the avensis that is dull & boring. but that's good going just changing brake pads. I take it the 1.8 was the petrol  version.

A mate has a Superb II Combi. 1.6, it's done 60,000miles in under three years. Never had a fault with it and it is used seven days a week between two drivers for city trips and long distance hires from Carlisle to Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow and London a few times. The car is still as pleasant to be in as it was the first day he got it at five month old.

Many cars in my area are Skodas, they are reliable and comfortable, getting into a Mondeo or Insignia is a very noticeable change.

• Like 1