Retrofit new Columbus

hkp

Still on my navigation retrofit mission for my new 5E Octy.. I've been poking around (not looking for sex plugs ;) ) on ETKA and have some part numbers for a Columbus - both the bit in the glovebox and the dash screen.

I wonder how horrified i will be at the price!?

post-87642-0-22720800-1378811342_thumb.png

post-87642-0-64054700-1378811348_thumb.png

• Like 1

It's made by Panasonic I think. Need to find a person on the inside at Panasonic!

I guess the thing to do is wait for a car that is being broken, or until the eastern European parts suppliers (Skodateile and Superskoda) start doing the units on their own.

Unless anyone fancies swapping their Amundsen or Columbus for my lovely Bolero  :love:

It's made by Panasonic I think. Need to find a person on the inside at Panasonic!

I guess the thing to do is wait for a car that is being broken, or until the eastern European parts suppliers (Skodateile and Superskoda) start doing the units on their own.

Unless anyone fancies swapping their Amundsen or Columbus for my lovely Bolero  :love:

I'd put my money on Pioneer... Until someone  starts toying around   with the dashboard it'll be hard to know for sure... I'd say ;)

They will be nice and cheap soon I'm sure - once the thieves get some in stock (like 90% of the current Columbus you see on Ebay and the like they will filter down to those people who are quite willing to pay money for items of extremely dubious origin.

If you're looking for 100% legit parts then they will be no cheaper that buying them directly from Skoda.

More digging - they appear to be made by Harman (Becker)  Retrofit shouldn't be too hard looking at ETKA to replace both bits (glovebox part and display).

Price from Skodateile - €900 - so cheaper than factory fit as an option!

Amundsen are also available too...post-87642-0-01540700-1378828518_thumb.jpg

As its a two part system, i.e CD player etc in glovebox and then a headunit in teh console, could you not just change the head unit and connect the existing CD player etc into the unit??

unfortunately no as the nav units need the CD unit which has two SD card slots, one for maps and the other for music.

• Like 1

The "new" Columbus unit actually has 64Gb of internal memory of which just 12Gb is available for users, the rest is reserved memory for the Satellite Navigation mapping & Gracenote DB.

Having found that out I'm somewhat disappointed as that means that I would lose about 6-7Gb worth of music from my collection.  :thumbdown: 

Personally I think that 12Gb is a pretty putrid amount to be left free, when you consider most phones offer you 14-56Gb (if you include memory cards), mine has 64Gb available when empty.  

€900? Bargain!

Due to the Danish tax system, Columbus is a £3500+ option! (Hence our Elegance trim doesn't even include Bolero ... )

I see business potential!  :p

What's up with the CD player tho, why cant they be fitted in the head unit like all the other models?

Seriously tho HKP: Are you going to do this? :) I'm very curious to hear how it goes and how hard it is ;)

Also, I was looking through the skodateile.cz website, and can't see an option for the octy 3 in there yet. Do you mind throwing up a few links? :) (or pm me with a guide how to search the site ... )

The "new" Columbus unit actually has 64Gb of internal memory of which just 12Gb is available for users, the rest is reserved memory for the Satellite Navigation mapping & Gracenote DB.

Having found that out I'm somewhat disappointed as that means that I would lose about 6-7Gb worth of music from my collection.  :thumbdown:

Personally I think that 12Gb is a pretty putrid amount to be left free, when you consider most phones offer you 14-56Gb (if you include memory cards), mine has 64Gb available when empty.  

Since going portable quite a few years ago, I've yet to ever find a *need* to have my entire music collection with me. 8gb is more than sufficient, otherwise you'll spend more time looking for the piece of music you want to listen to, and more importantly, less time and concentration on the road in front of you.

On the other side, you could always put your collection on the phone and then listen to that through the H/U. That way you'll only ever need one copy. :)

What's up with the CD player tho, why cant they be fitted in the head unit like all the other models?

It'll be an effort at anti-theft.

"The start of production of the Tegra-based MIB infotainment system was a major milestone for Audi," said Mathias Halliger, head of architecture, MMI system at Audi. "The new modular approach allows us an independent evolution of automotive-cycle and consumer-electronics-cycle multimedia systems so that we can implement the latest and greatest innovations that allow the best possible customer experience with infotainment in the vehicle."

The new MIB system approach is planned for all new upcoming Audi cars, generations and further facelifts. It is also empowering the high-end navigation systems of VW group brands Volkswagen and Skoda.

At the heart of the MIB system is the NVIDIA VCM based on the NVIDIA Tegra mobile processor. The modular design of the VCM enables automakers to separate the rapidly advancing processor technologies from the slower to update electronics in vehicles. This can save automakers significant development time and cost by enabling rapid implementation of in-vehicle systems across diverse vehicle models.

Taken from:

• Like 1

€900? Bargain!

Due to the Danish tax system, Columbus is a £3500+ option! (Hence our Elegance trim doesn't even include Bolero ... )

I see business potential!  :p

Seriously tho HKP: Are you going to do this? :) I'm very curious to hear how it goes and how hard it is ;)

Also, I was looking through the skodateile.cz website, and can't see an option for the octy 3 in there yet. Do you mind throwing up a few links? :) (or pm me with a guide how to search the site ... )

Hi RN,

Ales at Skoda Teile hasn't updated his site recently, so just email him if you are interested.  He has amundsen too for €700.

Yes, i am seriously going to do this. It's quite a risk, but I have a good feeling it will work based on how modular VW group stuff is (and getting more so).

The bigger problem may be coding the car to recognise the navigation with VCDS so limited for MQB cars at the moment...

So assuming that the blue and gold plugs are for connection to the touch screen -the FAKRA are FM, DAB and GPS then it's all CANbus so you're in with a good chance of getting it working -But what is that to the right of the Quadlock?