Retrofit new Columbus

hkp

Try OEM Retrofits in Bradford. Thet are really clued up on all VAG retrofits.

If it can be done I'm sure they will help. :)

was about to suggest the same. They can do MMI nav retrofits on Audis so must know how to get round Audi's coding protection; if they cant do the MQB based cars right now sure its only a matter of time as its the nature of their business to keep up to date with this stuff.

Interesting and I can understand protecting units from being stolen but Skoda should remember one clear principle - who actually owns the vehicle. If it is your car (i.e. not financed or leased) - what right do they have to stop you from retro-fitting what-ever unit you want to in the car - as long as it is a legit (i.e. not stolen) unit.

Does kind of wind me up a bit about things like replacement keys, when there is only one place to get it - there is no free market to ensure a fair price. Somewhat of a restrictive practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Did you give up on this? I've been having a chat with OEM Retrofits today about the Columbus on Octavia III and for the Audis, they take it to the main dealer to get component protection removed, but haven't done as Skoda with it yet...

P

Hi!

Did you give up on this? I've been having a chat with OEM Retrofits today about the Columbus on Octavia III and for the Audis, they take it to the main dealer to get component protection removed, but haven't done as Skoda with it yet...

P

Ooh sounds good.....

You could be the first.....

• 2 weeks later...

Did this retrofit ever get resolved in the end?  Or was it a case of the car was locked down and that was it?

Only reason I ask is that I ordered teh Amundsen to be factory fitted for my car earlier this week, had to pop into the dealer earlier today and got chatting and the guy said to me why did I get the Amundsen factory fitted when it could of been retrofitted and then retain the Bolero?  I said, thats not possible, the car is locked from teh factory so retrofitting Sat Navs etc were pretty much impossible, he says to me, no it can be done, we use XXXX company, and he showed me the price list and what they can retrofit on the newer MQB platform of cars, he showed the list it was given as VW part numbers and names, but is essentailly the same equipment, Discovery Sat Nav, Discovery Pro Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, folding mirrors, etc etc etc etc the prices as well werent too bad for a retrofit, so I immediately thought of this thread and thought that if anyone wanted the company details then I can get them and it might be worth giving them a call for a chat and see what they could do maybe?

Anyway, let me know if you want me to get the details and I will get them.

I can get you the coding from mine.

In fact, my module 5F coding is 03730101000000001111120200A800002F0000A60100010036

If you get anywhere with this see if you can find out the procedure for firmware and navigation engine updates please.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

... Xenon Lights, folding mirrors, etc etc etc etc the prices as well werent too bad for a retrofit ...

Ooh ooh ooh!  [makes excited noises]  Could one get electrically adjustable seats with memory fitted to a Mk 3 4x4 2.0 litre diesel estate, which only comes in SE trim and which does not allow the choice of such seats as a factory option?

Ooh ooh ooh!  [makes excited noises]  Could one get electrically adjustable seats with memory fitted to a Mk 3 4x4 2.0 litre diesel estate, which only comes in SE trim and which does not allow the choice of such seats as a factory option?

I have no idea, I am in the dealers on Monday as they had my wifes Beetle for some warranty work today, but it wont be ready til Monday, so will get the details for the company then, you can give them a bell and you never know!!!  Until then my wife has lost her TSI Bug for a TDI Golf mk7 which is a nice car but so boring and un-inspiring!

Did this retrofit ever get resolved in the end?  Or was it a case of the car was locked down and that was it?

Only reason I ask is that I ordered teh Amundsen to be factory fitted for my car earlier this week, had to pop into the dealer earlier today and got chatting and the guy said to me why did I get the Amundsen factory fitted when it could of been retrofitted and then retain the Bolero?  I said, thats not possible, the car is locked from teh factory so retrofitting Sat Navs etc were pretty much impossible, he says to me, no it can be done, we use XXXX company, and he showed me the price list and what they can retrofit on the newer MQB platform of cars, he showed the list it was given as VW part numbers and names, but is essentailly the same equipment, Discovery Sat Nav, Discovery Pro Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, folding mirrors, etc etc etc etc the prices as well werent too bad for a retrofit, so I immediately thought of this thread and thought that if anyone wanted the company details then I can get them and it might be worth giving them a call for a chat and see what they could do maybe?

Yes please! I would like the details! :)

P

• 2 weeks later...

This was the company my dealer was talking about www.vag-tec.com no idea how good or bad they are etc etc, looked at there website but not much on there for the new platform Octavia, but it seems they can do retrofit on the Golf Mk7 so might be worth a call to them maybe.

I rejected my O3 in the end due to problems with lane assist that the dealer couldn't fix.  I sent my Columbus back to Skoda Teile for a refund, and am currently carless! (Well driving the Missus' Monte).

I'll maybe come back to O3 ownership once they're a little more established I guess.

I rejected my O3 in the end due to problems with lane assist that the dealer couldn't fix. I sent my Columbus back to Skoda Teile for a refund, and am currently carless! (Well driving the Missus' Monte).

I'll maybe come back to O3 ownership once they're a little more established I guess.

What was the problem out of interest?

P

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I rejected my O3 in the end due to problems with lane assist that the dealer couldn't fix.  I sent my Columbus back to Skoda Teile for a refund, and am currently carless! (Well driving the Missus' Monte).

That's a shame. I was really looking forward to a happy ending.

• Like 1

Lane assist that couldn't be fixed was the main issue (it was dangerously wrenching the wheel to the left on test drive too).  Some other quality issues too, but I won't go into too much detail as the dealer was very good to me..

In my desperation for you to find a solution to your dilemma, I emailed vag-tech on your behalf. I hope you don't mind.

I asked if a 2014 Octavia 5E could be retrofitted with Columbus if it was delivered with Bolero as standard.

They replied:-

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, it is possible.

We can install the original Skoda Columbus Navigation system into your Skoda for £958.80 including mobile installation, VAT and 3 year warranty.

Quick, go get your car back! Lol.

For any others wanting the same - there you go. I guess the price includes the unit.

Edited by J8mbo

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, it is possible.

We can install the original Skoda Columbus Navigation system into your Skoda for £958.80 including mobile installation, VAT and 3 year warranty.

I wonder whether they mean the New Columbus or the Original (old) model?

• 3 months later...

Anyone following this up? When price gets closer to a high end sat nav unit I'd take the plunge for sure.

Like a stolen unit or something? How do you expect to buy a Columbus or Amundsen for that matter at a price comparable to a high end standalone?

Because of sheer scale, these units cost a tiny fraction of their retail to make, regardless of what they are sold on for, and sooner or later will be available second hand, or from source direct.

I also didn't say how much a high end unit was - for me £500+ so thanks for the swift attack / criminalisation though.

*edit* e.g. columbus units for earlier Octy now on ebay *new* for £479 - and I'd gladly pay fitting on top. Just not "Top Spec Tax". Hence why I also said I was prepared to wait a bit.

Edited by jtypecav

Relax, I'm not accusing you of being a criminal  :rofl: I had no idea there were standalone units retailing for £500, but apparently there are. So now we know what price you're talking about, £500.

I know that a lot of the MK2 Columbus units came from Estonia, apparently.