Retrofit new Columbus

hkp

Any news here guys? Have a bolero but want the latest columbus. Is it now possible for skoda dealers to remove comp protection and code it in?

Dealer can remove CP, but nobody explained clear about special code via SWAP, so if someone has more knowledge about activating maps after removing CP, please post here... I removed CP at dealer, but dealer doesn't know much about this special code via SWAP, cause at this dealer most of staff are noobs..

Well. Had my car to the dealer today. They could not remove the CP, according to the factory they said. Well, that means im not allowed to exchange radio unit in my own car, its a scandal and possibly not even legal. Its my car. Well, no skoda no.3 for me.

If you were purchasing the new Columbus unit from them I don't see why they wouldn't do it, I think it would be quite expensive though. If you were purchasing the Columbus from a third party that's when I think they could have an issue as they wouldn't know that units history. Skoda can be quite fussy when it comes to retro fitting different equipment than what the car came with from factory. Component protection can be removed As some units fail and are replaced under warranty

The issue is all to do with licencing of the software. Just because you are in possession of a MIB Columbus doesn't necessarily mean you are licenced for it. Even if you got CP removed so that the car will accept the basic functionality of the unit, it still wouldn't work fully until a correct licence code for that unit in your car is entered/uploaded.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The issue is all to do with licencing of the software. Just because you are in possession of a MIB Columbus doesn't necessarily mean you are licenced for it. Even if you got CP removed so that the car will accept the basic functionality of the unit, it still wouldn't work fully until a correct licence code for that unit in your car is entered/uploaded.

One would think they would be interested in the more sale. I guess that for Skoda they could potentially earn more selling it after it was build then during the build. Every other industry sells licenses(even Microsoft let's you upgrade your Windows license and isn't forcing you to fork out for a complete new one) if you wish to change windows versions ;-) Why can't or won't Skoda, what are they afraid of?

You would have to ask Skoda.

Well I have or rather, some of the more knowledgeable people on the subject in Denmark have put out feelers through unofficial channels(VAG importer Semler).

So far they have been told that they are contemplating(VAG AG the parent company) allowing aftermarket retrofitting on VW cars from 2015 and for some reason only for MY15+ cars.

Oh well..maybe some day perhaps :-)

The biggest problem is that because cars are taxed by 180% taxes and 25% vat on import to Denmark, the factory build Columbus option is approx 30.000 KR(or about 4000£ I believe). But the same tax doesn't apply to aftermarket units as they are considered spare parts..so I could shave it down to a fraction of the price, even if bought through Skoda and not eBay.

I think everyone is trying to avoid the massive issue of theft. The previous generation columbus is one of the most stolen headunits on the EU mainland, because they are not only easy to steal, but the security was easily bypassed. By switching to the component protection model, they gain several advantages. The system has not yet been cracked, despite being in use for more than 10 years. The license model adds another level of anti theft security, making it harder going forward.

Component protection will not activate any units reported as stolen, when the dealer removes CP the system knows exactly which car the unit came from, right down to the VIN number. This can be traced backwards, and if another unit was fitted to that car because the previous one was stolen then they will refuse the activation. Installing new or secondhand parts is no problem, because no replacement units would have been fitted to the original vehicle.

I think everyone is trying to avoid the massive issue of theft. The previous generation columbus is one of the most stolen headunits on the EU mainland, because they are not only easy to steal, but the security was easily bypassed. By switching to the component protection model, they gain several advantages. The system has not yet been cracked, despite being in use for more than 10 years. The license model adds another level of anti theft security, making it harder going forward.

Component protection will not activate any units reported as stolen, when the dealer removes CP the system knows exactly which car the unit came from, right down to the VIN number. This can be traced backwards, and if another unit was fitted to that car because the previous one was stolen then they will refuse the activation. Installing new or secondhand parts is no problem, because no replacement units would have been fitted to the original vehicle.

I'm fine with that. What they could do for leigitimate owners is, remove CP and install the new HU coding it and ordering the new license from the factory and effectively parring it with the car, afterwards re-enable the CP...that would be ok too. But the factory doesn't want to and at the moment only Audi offers this in Denmark at least.

It's not that it isn't possible to do(think replacement warranty units) but they just don't want to do it for swapping from Bolero to Columbus/Amundsen etc.

• Like 1

Basically you need to buy the licence for the navigation software. That is what the SWaP code is. It then needs activating on the car.

Ok, it's clear. So, i bought this unit Skoda MIB Columbus from official dealer, they removed CP, so i installed without problems. Please confirm me, if i bought this unit from official Skoda dealer, are they in obligation to solve maps activation for me, cause everything is purchased from them - unit, sd cards? So, now dealer has to send request to Skoda factory for map license?

If the unit was bought from them then surely they will do the final step for you? I am not sure if they have an obligation to as at the moment there does not seem to be an official policy or procedure for upgrading the MIB unit. It all depends on your dealer, their knowledge of the MQB platform and them being able to explain to technical what they are doing. It is then down to technical to make it happen as I understand it.

When my Columbus was replaced under warranty it took them 3 days to get it working with the assistance of technical, and that was a warranty replacement.

• Like 1

If the unit was bought from them then surely they will do the final step for you? I am not sure if they have an obligation to as at the moment there does not seem to be an official policy or procedure for upgrading the MIB unit. It all depends on your dealer, their knowledge of the MQB platform and them being able to explain to technical what they are doing. It is then down to technical to make it happen as I understand it.

When my Columbus was replaced under warranty it took them 3 days to get it working with the assistance of technical, and that was a warranty replacement.

Yes, but seems they are really poor skilled for this thing :( , im sure you know better than they procedure for MIB Columbus, when we retrofit it in Skoda III :)! So, their knowledge of MQB is definetely poor by my experience, when i told them about activation code through SWAP they looked in me like some miracle :)! So, i'll try explain them, that they need to contact their supplier - factory, about special code for activation, my retrofited MIB Columbus, cause they removed CP that i could install it in my car.

Seems, there is really solution, cause in cases like warranty replacement, they have to activate again maps, like in case of new unit retrofited in Skoda III. Hope they will solve it for me.

However, big thanks for making thins more clear by your great explanation!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A YouTube video, but that's not important right now.

'Surely that's a YouTube video?'

'It is, but don't call me Shirley'

• Like 1

The Colombus, and the discover pro main unit is the same...

They retrofitted it, and works without CP, and map lock.

Apologies for being blunt, but your first point is stating the obvious - of course they are the same unit.  And your second point is a little spurious - all they've done is swap a Columbus unit for a Discover Pro unit, which as you point out is the same thing.  So it doesn't surprise me all that much that it works, as the car is already programmed to accept that class of unit.

It is interesting that you can swap them without any apparent issues, but it's still not the answer to the question, which is "can you retrofit Columbus to a car that doesn't already have it?".  That would also involve swapping the screen out as well from the standard Bolero/Amundsen screen to the larger Columbus screen.