Full Apple iPhone integration without Mitsumi

Hi all,

I never spec'd Mitsumi on my BW47 vRS estate so imagine my surprise when I plugged my iPhone 5 into the USB socket just to charge it and up pops the Phone on the screen of my Columbus and starts playing music (bluetooth was off). All content on my phone is browsable from the Columbus screen, album art displayed and no Mitsumi interface installed. Just USB. Tried it with my iPad Air too. Works great.

My Columbus doesn't have Columbus logo at the top so I wonder if Skoda are using a new unit and/or new firmware that doesn't require Mitsumi.

Anyone else found this?

• Like 1

I've got the Mitsumi thing but I doubt it will ever get used as I dont own any apple devices!

I own apple devices but no Mitsumi thing. I know which position i'd rather be in Johnny! :giggle:

Got all my music on SD card though.

I own apple devices but no Mitsumi thing. I know which position i'd rather be in Johnny! :giggle:

Got all my music on SD card though.

It came free with the sunset glass so I wasn't going to moan.

I'm not the most techy minded person in the world but I have managed to blue tooth my samsung s3 to the amundsen so can't really see the point of this mitsumi or the original usb.

As I said I ain't no techy so I'm sure it has it's uses.

I think having the device connected directly allows you to see and control your phone/ipods album from the cars system.

Yes, correct. With Bluetooth you can only start, pause and skip tracks. If you want to start a playlist, an album or just a song you gotta do it on the phone.

With Mitsumi / Columbus you can do all this on the car's touchscreen and you get Album art. It's just more integrated. Whether it's of value to you is up to the individual.

I never spec'd it and was regretting it so for me this is a pleasant surprise as I always thought you needed Mitsumi for the integration. Not so if you have the Columbus.

Edited by Farsider
  • Like 2

Just as well I'm not too fussed about my in car entertainment as I've ended up with an optional extra that's actually prevents me from making the best use of the amundsen in terms of controlling the music on my media devices.

I did ask Skoda to swap it for the original usb but they said the usb would remain which it clearly hasn't. Salesman played dumb when he went over the functions during handover.

Someone mentioned having all their music on an sd card and I guess that would get pushed in sd2 slot in the glove box?

Yes, correct. With Bluetooth you can only start, pause and skip tracks. If you want to start a playlist, an album or just a song you gotta do it on the phone.

With Mitsumi / Columbus you can do all this on the car's touchscreen and you get Album art. It's just more integrated. Whether it's of value to you is up to the individual.

I never spec'd it and was regretting it so for me this is a pleasant surprise as I always thought you needed Mitsumi for the integration. Not so if you have the Columbus.

Have you got this working with an iPhone 5+? As that uses the small lightning style connector? Edited by Tomatin12

Just as well I'm not too fussed about my in car entertainment as I've ended up with an optional extra that's actually prevents me from making the best use of the amundsen in terms of controlling the music on my media devices.

I did ask Skoda to swap it for the original usb but they said the usb would remain which it clearly hasn't. Salesman played dumb when he went over the functions during handover.

Someone mentioned having all their music on an sd card and I guess that would get pushed in sd2 slot in the glove box?

No, it hasn't prevented anything. You can buy a Mitsumi to USB cable.

Have you got this working with an iPhone 5+? As that uses the small lightning style connector?

Yes, I'm using a USB -> Lightening cable but any iOS device using its native cable should also work.

Just as well I'm not too fussed about my in car entertainment

I use 32gb SD cards in the glove box. Each holds about 220 albums. It works for me because so long as I have my car key, I have my music and there are no devices on show.

I use 32gb SD cards in the glove box. Each holds about 220 albums. It works for me because so long as I have my car key, I have my music and there are no devices on show.

Sounds like the best way to go, that way you can leave it in there until you want to add some more music, instead of having to plug the media device in each time you get in the car, as you say assuming you aren't leaving them inside the car on show.

Sounds like the best way to go, that way you can leave it in there until you want to add some more music, instead of having to plug the media device in each time you get in the car, as you say assuming you aren't leaving them inside the car on show.

Each to their own. Personally, that's another manual process I could do without. My iPhone with iTunes Match holds everything. 1 device, 1 centralised copy of all my media. Never need to copy anything, ever.

Each to their own. Personally, that's another manual process I could do without. My iPhone with iTunes Match holds everything. 1 device, 1 centralised copy of all my media. Never need to copy anything, ever.

I'd admit to not being an apple fan following seemingly endless updates and the all too frequent loss of music from iTunes. I might give them another chance unless they've priced themselves completely out of the market. I also love a drive without my phone but never without my music.

I'm not an Apple person either but find it easy to leave on plugged in sat in the glivebox.

I've ordered the ipod connectivity with Amundsen and Canton and am getting feeling the ipod will need to be left in the centre console, not be able to be hidden and connected in the glovebox?

I see mention of SD card slots, how many of these can I expect as that's likely gonna be the better option.

I've ordered the ipod connectivity with Amundsen and Canton and am getting feeling the ipod will need to be left in the centre console, not be able to be hidden and connected in the glovebox?

This is my only annoyance with mitsumi, I use an ipod touch in a black ipod sleeve and it just about slides underneath AC controls to the point where you can't see it from outside, you can see the mitsumi plug though....