Radio/Ice

gtsx

I've just bought a Fabia SDI for my son. There's no radio in it, nor the radio surround.

So my first question is what should the dash look like?

He likes his music so my second question is.

What options are there (easy fit and reasonable price/quality) to upgrade the sound system, i.e. disc, or just go for mp3? What speakers etc?

Thanks

Ive got the fabia 1.9tdi non vrs and mine came with the standard headunit with a cd player, it depends what year and model yours is as some come with tape player and radio and some with cd and radio.

The standard radio with the cd should look like this..

http://m7.i.pbase.com/g1/98/780298/2/130016327.tyUanTrz.jpg

to put an aftermarket one in you will need a facia adapter and ariel adaptor which are cheap and you can get all the stuff from halfords and they will tell you what to get or get a kit online if  you are happy to do it yourself..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-FP-20-00-Audio-Single-Adaptor/dp/B004TW781Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391614116&sr=8-3&keywords=fabia+stereo+facia

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-PC5-90-Aerial-Adaptor-Separation/dp/B004TW7XL4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391614178&sr=8-4&keywords=fabia+stereo+iso

The standard skoda speakers are good enough in my opinion and I'd recommend getting a headunit with ipod compatibility and an aux and CD. You could get a subwoofer which add a bit more bass if that's what he wants. Ive got the standard speakers in front and rear with mid tweeters and a 10" active sub (built in amplifier) and it sounds very good to me.

• Like 1

Personally I'd find a standard head unit (Skoda Symphony) and buy what's called "Connects2". This way you get the complete OEM look, with the CD player, and with this Connects2 box you'll be able to run an AUX wire out to his iPhone/iPod. It's what I have had for almost a year now and hasn't failed me at all - great audio quality too!

Edit: Connects2 is only £40ish too :)

Edited by iSamage

Get him an Alpine unit and some matching front components for the front. You'll be able to get him a Bluetooth/iPod-Phone enabled unit for Sub £150 that he can move between cars.

An eBay special for the stereo surround can be purchased for very little money, I even think these are cheap as chips from the dealer.

The back speakers don't need to be replaced. 

Forget the Symphony unit, they're truly terrible and the Connects2 stuff is crap. 

Here's what I recommend for a budget :)

Speakers: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-spg-17cs

These can be amped up to provide a better sound, or just run as standard using the head units inbuilt amp. 

Headunit: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/players-inc-ipod-control/alpine-cde-177bt

This one has Facebook notifications, which made me chuckle, i prefer a dotmatrix display rather than a standard LCD one as i think it looks better. 

Facia: http://www.amazon.co.uk/STEREO-FITTING-FASCIA-ADAPTOR-REMOVAL/dp/B003JIG0OA

This is the one I bought, its a very complete kit giving pins to remove the standard stereo, but the aerial booster is not required. 

You can of course get something cheaper than all of these, but Alpine units are reliable and rarely give problems.

Hope thats of some assistance! 

FYI My Alpine head unit has been serving me well since 2003! :) 

Edited by Gobsheene

I would purchase an aftermarket head unit as others have suggested, but I would also upgrade the front speakers as well. The standard speakers are not that great and are prone to blowing, especially with the extra power coming from an aftermarket head unit. I too have an alpine head unit and as the above post suggests they are good quality and are worth the money.

If you do upgrade the speakers you'll need spacers made from mdf. Whether or not you'll want to add an amp and sub is completely up to your son and how he likes his music. But once you've upgraded the head unit the amp and sub can be added fairly easily at a later date.

I have these speakers, by no means the best but for the price they are a pretty good upgrade, with out the extra hassle of wiring up the tweeters. But if you would prefer components then they will be better. It's a bit of a mine field when it comes to speakers but theirs plenty of info out there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hertz-Dieci-DCX165-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B0044AFQZQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1391640469&sr=8-9&keywords=hertz+6%22+speakers

Edited by theezenutz

I would definitely recommend upgrading to a aftermarket stereo. I recently bought this Pioneer off amazon as its on sale. Full CD/MP3/AUX/USB/Ipod interface for just £80. Remember to swap red and yellow cables over (this stereo has bullet connectors for those two cables to easy to swap over too)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0092FBLYI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0032_zps546ac9d1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know If you can have a subwoofer fitted and make it work with the standard head unit? Connect2 is great don't know what some people are talking about?!

Doubtful - from what I have heard the symphony has no pre out or pre out line - which is what you need to send the signal to an amplifier. From what I have read/understood anyway. Don't quote me!

I've just bought a Fabia SDI for my son. There's no radio in it, nor the radio surround.

So my first question is what should the dash look like?

He likes his music so my second question is.

What options are there (easy fit and reasonable price/quality) to upgrade the sound system, i.e. disc, or just go for mp3? What speakers etc?

Thanks

In my opinion, it would be a waste of time and money spent improving the system to such a high spec (aftermarket headunits, new front component speakers, subs) in such a, no offense intended, lower end and older car. I would definitely recommend an aux input (either the 'connect2' piece or other) as it definitely adds a whole new level to the ease of use of any system. However I wouldn't of said an aftermarket HU (HeadUnit) or new front speakers would be justifyable compared to grabbing an original symphony stereo from a breakers. If all eight speakers are in good working order I don't think there is much need for any major improvements.

A valid point by Gobsheene about taking the parts from car to car, that's a definite (Made sure I stripped the professionally fitted Alpine sub, amp and wiring from my last car!) Just not sure it would be worthwhile spending time and money on improving a system on an older car.

That's my five pence anyway.

JRJG

Doubtful - from what I have heard the symphony has no pre out or pre out line - which is what you need to send the signal to an amplifier. From what I have read/understood anyway. Don't quote me!

In my opinion, it would be a waste of time and money spent improving the system to such a high spec (aftermarket headunits, new front component speakers, subs) in such a, no offense intended, lower end and older car. I would definitely recommend an aux input (either the 'connect2' piece or other) as it definitely adds a whole new level to the ease of use of any system. However I wouldn't of said an aftermarket HU (HeadUnit) or new front speakers would be justifyable compared to grabbing an original symphony stereo from a breakers. If all eight speakers are in good working order I don't think there is much need for any major improvements.

A valid point by Gobsheene about taking the parts from car to car, that's a definite (Made sure I stripped the professionally fitted Alpine sub, amp and wiring from my last car!) Just not sure it would be worthwhile spending time and money on improving a system on an older car.

That's my five pence anyway.

JRJG

Age is irrelevant, if you are stuck in a 10 year old car with no/crap audio it's just as bad as being stuck in a new car with the same. My last car had no radio as standard, the factory stripped everything to save weight. OK I wouldn't spend a fortune, but I'd fit a mech free HU with USB/BT/mobile control.

Age is irrelevant, if you are stuck in a 10 year old car with no/crap audio it's just as bad as being stuck in a new car with the same. My last car had no radio as standard, the factory stripped everything to save weight. OK I wouldn't spend a fortune, but I'd fit a mech free HU with USB/BT/mobile control.

Good grief what was your previous car? Being so particular on weight saving that there was no radio!?

Fair point - thinking about it; it would more than likely be less hassle, and quite possibly the same sort of budget bracket to buy an aftermarket HU anyway than sourcing an original stereo. I still wouldn't spend a fortune, if any money at all, on upgrading front speakers, installing amplifiers and a sub woofer though. Unless it was all done extremely cheap and fitted by myself and I had the full intention of removing the full system before selling the car in order to move it all into the next purchase :happy:

What have you decided upon Gtsx ?

JRJG

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to be able to use my iPod and already had a GROM adapter, for which I bought the correct adapter lead from Carputer.  However, having fitted the unit, it didn't work and deactivated the door keys, so I can only assume that there's a security circuit involved in the standard Symphony stereo head unit.  Both keys were restored to working order on replacing the Symphony head unit.