I don't believe it! Not another Yeti spare wheel question...

Gyp

Sorry for being an old Victor Meldrew here Gyp, but could you please change the thread title? That expletive in there is not quite needed is it?

Just click on your first post, then on "Edit" at the bottom, and then on "Use Full Editor" and you can change the thread title. Ta.   :kiss:

And for those that don't know what it means click here.  And no it is not the Foo Fighters.

• Like 3

Sorry for being an old Victor Meldrew here Gyp, but could you please change the thread title? That expletive in there is not quite needed is it?

Why don't you just dangle your private parts out of the window? (Victor Meldrew, One Foot in the Grave, series 3, episode 4)

Before you put that link in, I'd always assumed that in the context of Yeti wheels it stood for "Factory Fitted Spare", as in your signature block! Goodness no, you're right! Posts and titles in Briskoda should never cause embarassment or offence. I'll try and re-title the thread accordingly.

Actually, this is harder than it sounds. Clearly rude words or acronyms suggesting them should be excluded. No problem. But probably also anything with a religeous implication? That rules out exclamations from the popular childrens' cartoons Sylvester and Tweetypie, and Daffy Duck, virtually the entire output of the Ealing studios, most of the script of the 1966- Batman TV series and around 96% or all words spoken by Australians.

Looks like calling on the writing talents of David Renwick is the only way to go...

P.S. there's a silver Mercedes convertible that I see running around locally with the registration "FF5". Best I stop them and have a word.

• Like 3

LOL I'm VM the third. But ta for changing.

Nah I don't mind it in threads I guess. But staring at me every time I looked at the thread list the Foo Fighters just worked the VM in me up. :happy:

• Like 2

The load capacity of the skinny wheel is much lower than that of a Yeti, so you are overloading that wheel.

What a load of tosh!

FYI the Golf skinny space saver has a load index of 99!

They also say for emergency use only on them,

why anyone would want to drive on one anymore than to get them out of trouble is beyond me, they are a safer alternative to using the can of gunk IMO.

• Like 2

Nobody claimed they were type approved, however as an EMERGENCY device they are safer than the gunk.

Not quite how you make out me pointing out that you were making an incorrect statement as being rude, I was just giving the facts and not making an assumption.

• Like 2

And to balance that thought I am glad I have a spare wheel having suffered an unrepairable sidewall gash in tyre that had travelled less than 350miles from brand new, at least I could swop tyres and carry on with my journey.

Every time.  I wouldn't buy a car unless it had a spare; full size for preference but space-saver at least. My son has a BMW with run flat tyres and they are bad enough when he has had a puncture that necessitates a replacement tyre. No run flat, no goo - a spare is invaluable.

Nobody claimed they were type approved, however as an EMERGENCY device they are safer than the gunk.

Not quite how you make out me pointing out that you were making an incorrect statement as being rude, I was just giving the facts and not making an assumption.

I think it was the "What a load of tosh!" that caused offence. It was unnecessary as your following statement was all that was needed.

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

Just put full size spare wheel on my Greenline FL dealer supplied it quite expensive at 278£ or 340 Euro here in Ireland. The polystyrene parts and tools are as dear as the tyre and steel wheel. Raises the floor up to the lip of the boot space. Still I prefer my comfort blanket,if was just myself in car would not mind ,but my wife would not like to be sitting on top of some bleak mountain waiting for the rescue to come if puncture was non repairable by repair kit. 

• 2 months later...

I'll post here rather than start another thread. :x

The current Yeti brochure (page 42/43) says that the luggage capacity with the space saver spare wheel is 416 litres. Is this correct or is it a typo and they meant to say 'without'?

I know that with the pre-FL Yeti the luggage space was reduced to 322 litres with the official full size spare. I'm hoping that if the current brochure is correct you can have the space saver spare without impinging on the available luggage space. 

Any info appreciated - Andy

Edited by Ydnaroo

I suspect a foxes paw , the pre F/L and the F/L luggage capacity is exactly the same. All that was changed is the front end and a small eternal design change to rear hatch and bumper.

I suspect a foxes paw , the pre F/L and the F/L luggage capacity is exactly the same. All that was changed is the front end and a small eternal design change to rear hatch and bumper.

Hi, thanks for that. That is my understanding of the differences between the pre/post FL models as well. The difference I am referring to is that with the 'approved' optional spare wheel. The pre-FL model has an (almost) full size spare that takes away about 25% of the available luggage space, the current brochure seems to suggest that the spare for the FL model does not take away any of the advertised luggage capacity (that above the boot floor anyway).

I was under the impression that as long as the wheel is of a reasonable diameter, is of sufficient load rating and you keep it under 50 MPH, you can use ANY wheel as a spare.

I can find nothing to suggest that a type of spare needs to be approved specifically for the vehicle and nothing of the sort in the Construction and Use section of the Road Traffic Act. It just says that wheels on an axle must match, except when using one as a spare, where you are restricted to 50 MPH.

Re-read the Type Approval documents for the vehicle.

That specifies what wheels can be fitted to the vehicle, and therefore the spare has to fall into those parameters.

In which case, how are either of the following legal to use:

1. 'Universal' spare wheels provided by breakdown companies.

2. Any aftermarket wheels that do not exactly meet the OEM specifications (ie most).

...I have to admit that I miss the variable floor that I had on my Octavias, as it provided quite a lot of additional storage space with minimal impact on the load area - actually it improved the load area as it made it flatter when the seats were folded.

Funny, first thing I took out of my Octavia was that heavy (MDF?) variable floor...

Now I've got the spare wheel kit in the Yeti I've lost quite a bit of boot space without gaining the under-floor space

Taking the variable one out and fitting the spare wheel kit should take about 20 minutes in total

Seems the best compromise: order the spare kit as a car option and buy the parts for the non-spare operation. Use whatever you feel comfortable with! If after a year you find you use just 1 setup, sell off the other one... Or keep to sell with the vehicle...

I know that with the pre-FL Yeti the luggage space was reduced to 322 litres with the official full size spare. I'm hoping that if the current brochure is correct you can have the space saver spare without impinging on the available luggage space. 

Any info appreciated - Andy

I had a pre FL with spare wheel and now have a FL with spare wheel. The luggage space is the same in both cases and there is a reduction in luggage space over the non spare wheel option.

Fred

My Yeti must have stubbed a toe and picked up a puncture last summer, NSF tyre was as flat as a flat thing lying down on a flat surface whilst sleeping.

A nice kind soul of a large coach bolt had decided to penetrate right at the outside of the tread (that was on the inside not facing the kerb if you know what I mean)  I tried pumping it back up but the as the air went in it was released at the same rate. Now this is my opinion only I was pleased that I had retrofitted the space saver spare so I could drive nice and easy to the Yeti chiropodist to get a new tyre.

Now admittedly I did not bother trying the goop as the size of the offending item was looked far too big and would have made a noise not unlike a bottom cough and made a mess.

For  me I'll always try and carry a spare. Remember you don't have to store it horizontally with a new raised floor you could store it upright in a tyre bag and anchor to the shopping hook rails to keep the boot depth.

Edited by Hairball
  • Like 3

The C&U regs (if we want to go down that road) say you can mix tyres and use basically any wheel/tyre that fits in an emergency providing you don't exceed 50mph. No mentions of type approval or anything else. They even specifically say you can mix differing tyres on the same axle in this situation.

This would indicate that as long as the bolt pattern matches and the rolling diameter are not hugely different (not mentioned in the regs but too much lean on one corner would be dangerous) you are legally OK.

As you say, not tested in court but the C&U regs are pretty ambiguous in this area so a conviction would be difficult and unlikely unless you did something stupid. Type approval alone (or lack of) would certainly not be enough.

Cheers

Rog

I had a pre FL with spare wheel and now have a FL with spare wheel. The luggage space is the same in both cases and there is a reduction in luggage space over the non spare wheel option.

Fred

Thanks Fred.

That's what I suspected and wanted confirmed. Seems like the brochure is wrong.

Cheers - Andy