thinking of buying a insignia sri vx line

Looking to get a new taxi I have an 11 plate vrs done 80000 mls fssh been looking at 2 year old vrs but there stupid money so thinking on an insignia vx line any thoughts on these car or does any of you own one.

I test drove one before getting the octy. I thought cabin quality was a huge improvement on vauxhalls of recent but unfortunately the drive wasn't really that good and even just sat in the driver's seat something just didn't feel right. Seats not the comfiest and gearboxes quite notchy that was on an Sri model with 20k on it.

I test drove a new astra before the octavia. I like the way they look. That's about as far as it goes.

Steering, awfully numb

Ride, jerky and very hard

Seats, just awful driving position

Awful interior plastics, dull and very grey.

I'd have a Vxr just for the power, not a vx line just for the styling.

Vauxhalls are actually not too badder a VAG group alternative. Have had plenty of Astra H's over the years (have one now actually) and as a car its about as good as a mark 5 Golf ive had, not way off a mark 6 in terms of what you get for your money.

They drive well and the engines are pretty good whether you go petrol or diesel.

Will level with you though, my current one hasnt been the most reliable car ive owned; its a 57 plate 1.6 Design with 46k miles and in the year weve had it its needed a new AC compressor, coilpack and plugs and ECU update..... does have a bit of a slow starting issue too which im starting to wonder if it might be the starter on its ways out.

Some of its just bad luck, the AC I found out about after getting the car and should have checked more thoroughly before I bought it but otherwise its really not bad.

To put things into perspective my Dad had an A5 2.0 TFSi Sportback up until not too long ago....just before it turned 3 was using a litre of oil every 300 miles and traded it in the fear id probably go pop not too long after.....also the reversing cam broke and ended up being with Audi for about a week getting replaced. This was a cherished 60 plate car with only 35k or so on the clock too. Poor reliability therefore doesnt just sit with Vauxhall.

A neighbour has a 09 plate Elite diesel. I know he had to have the autobox replaced recently, for stupid money (£3-4k new, he had second hand) at only 57k miles. It has been into the garage on a couple of other occasions as well.

Andy

I bought my vrs off a 65 year old family friend, 1 owner with 44k miles and 6 years old. He bought a year old insignia to replace it. Spoke to him a week later and he said he wished he had kept the octavia. His loss my gain ! The Octavia Vrs is the best all round car I've owned, I'm not in a position to say how good or bad the Insignia drives but I couldn't live with the rear end. On the few occasions I've found one I front of me it hasn't been there for long !

I had a 59 superb for 2 years great car just wanting something different away from skoda but after reading some comments on the insignia think I ll save some pennies and go for a 62 plate blackline cant complain had my vrs just over 2 years only probs I ve had is a new droplink a/c which was done under warranty not bad for a taxi .

I had a 59 superb for 2 years great car just wanting something different away from skoda but after reading some comments on the insignia think I ll save some pennies and go for a 62 plate blackline cant complain had my vrs just over 2 years only probs I ve had is a new droplink a/c which was done under warranty not bad for a taxi .

• Like 1

Also another slight negative for Vauxhall....servicing is a rip off....last one cost me 300 notes (with an MOT as well) and they didnt even wash it as they dont have the facilities.

All that said id still give a higher spec facelift Insignia a go at a massive discount.

I currently have an Insignia as a company car, 60 plate cdti with 109000 miles.

The drive is ok if your plodding up and down the motorway reasonably comfortable but the steering feels artificially weighted and numb. It is definitely not a car setup with good handling in mind. It's about as agile as the QE2. Having driven quite a few similar sized cars I would say the following are all more fun to drive - Ford Mondeo, 3 & 5 series BMW's, Skoda Superb & Octavia, VW Passat.

Rear head room is limited due to the sloped roof line for anyone over about 5ft 10 so may not be ideal as a taxi.

I would agree with some of the comments regarding the dealer service. I would rate this as average when compared to my experience of Skoda and VW dealers but I would not say they were bad.

I've only really had 3 issues with the car in the last Issues 109000 miles, 2 really annoying ones and one breakdown.

Software update (recall) which was meant to irradiate rough running issues ( which my car never had) - well it did after the update, this required 3 visits to the dealer to solve.

Radio - loses its RDS functions and loses FM signals - still not fully resolved

EGR cooler failed - leaking coolant everywhere and required recovery to the dealer. Fixed under warranty.

Overall not a bad car, comfortable ploughing the motorways but out of its depth on the twisties. 50 mpg (actual) over my total mileage.

If it was my money I wouldn't buy one as I think there are better cars to drive for similar cash.

Adam

I'm only 6ft, I find I can't sit in the back of an Insignia without my head being in contact with the roof......not what I'd want in a taxi

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

I don't rate Vauxhall's I'll give you an example the ABS sensor. On a vag car the sensor is replaced, on a Vauxhall the entire hub. Suspension set up is important too

You have to do that on the Octavia as well. I've had to do both rear wheels.

We had friends with an Insignia petrol, had it two years and they now drive a Juke. They wanted something more reliable. Insignia was plagued with oil leaks.

We had friends with an Insignia petrol, had it two years and they now drive a Juke. They wanted something more reliable. Insignia was plagued with oil leaks.

A Juke ! - Space was obviously not high on the priority list. ;)

A Juke ! - Space was obviously not high on the priority list. ;)

Wasn't easy to keep a straight face. SWMBO too. We both the the Juke is a horror.

But our friends really like it.

I did quietly say to the husband "don't keep it past the warranty". I don't think they realised it's Renault based.

I traded in my octy vrs 3 weeks ago for a 60plate insignia 2.0 cdti 160ps ecoflex. Worse decision EVER!! I hate it i would take it back and ask for my ollie back but hes been sold :'(

I currently have an Insignia as a company car, 60 plate cdti with 109000 miles.

Thats pretty reliable for a car thats probably covered over 30k/year