TMC or BLUESPARK for VRS

Hope you enjoy your like i am mine. 

It only took a day for the box to be delivered to me so you should have it before the weekend. 

wow i hope so, i placed my order yesterday morning, and received an update saying it had been posted just after lunch..

hope it turns up this weekend, or i wont be able to get it till like tuesday because ive ordered it to my house and there will be nobody in to sign for it :(

Hope you enjoy your like i am mine. 

It only took a day for the box to be delivered to me so you should have it before the weekend. 

just wondering, what do you mean by the top highest setting isnt refined enough?

Matthewl

As the box plumbs into the turbo charger boost sensor and not the supercharger boost, there is a big jump when the switch over happens. Also, when changing gear, at full chat the pull just after the change isnt as progessive as i like. 

It might just be my preference to how i like the power delivery - i like smooth and constant. Its almost diesel esk in the pull on the top setting. I mean it ran fine and some my like how it feels on the top setting but i just preferred one setting up from standard which is one down from the highest setting. It gives a nice consistent pull and the mid range is great as it really starts eating up through the RPMs. 

Interesting point that these boxes do not have any input over Supercharger activity, is this also true for the TMC in which case?

I believe this will also be the case for TMC. The TMC uses the cam shaft postion sensor on top of MAP and Charge pressure sensors. 

• Like 1

because of the cam position sensor, TMC can advance the timing, so can potentially (with the right fuel) give gains accross the range, including supercharger only....

just looked up the bluespark boxes on ebay, and if you choose my car (2013 CTHE) it says not compatible, yet its lists the 180 bhp fabia RS in the power lists..... hhhmmmm

Was there not a case when someone with a tmc box and cthe engine and they were not compatible? I could well be wrong on that though.

Stop trying to knock this box as it's good for the money :) you may not trust it but I'm living with it and iv had no problems.

On another note

Here are another firm offering 3 different tuning box options for the vrs, each a different price and different power increases.

www.racechip.com/chiptuning/skoda/fabia/fabia-2/1-4-tsi-rs-132kw/index.php

These are more money than tmc but offer higher power gains.

Food for thought.

All that matters is that if you are happy with it. Anyone that is going down the route of tuning their engine is taking a risk. Especially stage 1 as all you are doing is requesting more power from a stock setup. So where it be an ECU map, 400 tuning box or 150 tuning box, we are all in the same boat.

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing some Dyno results from anyone running the Bluespark Box.

Sometimes the various Power Gains from Box Manufacturers make no Sense.

a Polo GTI,

Fabia vRS

or Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI Twincharger has already a Minimum 180 PS on 95 RON at different (132kW)

at any height above Sea Level.

& the A1 1.4 TFSI 185 PS obviously has been given another official minimum output. (136 kW)

Yet the Adverts for the tuning boxes often do not show so good gains for the 136 kw TFSI engines.

george

All that matters is that if you are happy with it. Anyone that is going down the route of tuning their engine is taking a risk. Especially stage 1 as all you are doing is requesting more power from a stock setup. So where it be an ECU map, 400 tuning box or 150 tuning box, we are all in the same boat.

+1 to this ^^^

noone's knocking anything Mr B, it has been good to see another option come up for vRS owners.  You all know my personal choice was a map and I am happy with that but the tuning boxes have been a good option for several members now and it seems there is now an alternative choice for those who want it.  Given that the BlueSpark uses a calculation of the Cam position then I guess that will also affect timing and potentially the Supercharger only section of the rev range, but it sounds like the effect on the Turbo portion of the map is stronger.

I am toying with calling TMC up right now to trial their Power Pedal box after seeing it on SCN and seen as the engine box has gone down so well on our cars.

• Like 2

I think a good map will always give better results then a chip box will, I just like the fact that using a chip box still retains the ecus safety parameters.

But I'm interested in what these peddle boxes do. Do they just intercept the cars throttle position and alter it? Ie 75percent becomes 85percent? Or is it, if he presses the peddle this quickly I'll say do this? Sort of progressive braking/steering style?

• Like 1

Update time:

1. placed my order on thursday, box arrived friday, very fast delivery.

2. box came nicely presented, instructions werent for our engine but following the tmc box fitting guide this was easily fitted.

im going to be honest here. im running setting 5, (only one i have tried).

this really has transformed the car, it is a bit of an animal right now! in the wet, 1st, 2nd, 3rd are a bit useless if pushing on, i even spun up in 4th in the wet at 70mph+.

In the dry it is a different matter, there is a huge rush of power at around 3500rpm, it throws you in the seat like my old focus st, and has the top end punchiness of a astra vxr! its fast as well, my test 0-70mph is hugely improved (i usually boot out of a junction from 0-70, just before a speed camera on the A90, and no i have to break quite a while before the camera...)

the car has retained the same economy which i had prior to fitting the box, which is great.

one side note,

i have developed a slight misfire on startup at 3krpm, after a ragging the issue goes away and is fine, it is worth noting though that im still on standard plugs at just gone 20,000 miles. the car had developed a rough lumpy idle over the past few weeks, prior to fitting the box. i have ordered BK7EIX plugs which will be gapped to .60 to replace the standards, with the assumption that this issue will be resolved.

all in all, im very happy with the results, for £120 i can not think of a better bang for buck modification, and honestly cant recommend the box enough.

Edited by matthewl
  • Like 2

Glad your enjoying it it mate. Iv been keeping a watch out for your update. I think this BlueSpark was a good find tbh. 

Now then, TMC VRS vs BlueSpark VRS on the cards?

On another note, Iv just taken the box off ready for tomorrows MOT and it is really noticeable when its not there!!! Funny how you get used to the power. 

• Like 1

Glad your enjoying it it mate. Iv been keeping a watch out for your update. I think this BlueSpark was a good find tbh. 

Now then, TMC VRS vs BlueSpark VRS on the cards?

On another note, Iv just taken the box off ready for tomorrows MOT and it is really noticeable when its not there!!! Funny how you get used to the power. 

yeah im loving it! i took a guy from work out in my car on friday when it was standard, he thought it was quite dull. i took him out this morning and he was amazed, he agreed it feels way faster than his focus st..

i will hopefully be getting mine on a dyno soon to check everything is in order..

I have been into talks with jason from bluespark and he has agreed to do some development on my car the next time im back down home visiting my parents... talks of more power etc.

TMC, i would love to get up against a tmc powered car, i have seen an ARP mapped seat around my area a few times, i wonder how that would stack up against this?

may i ask why you removed the box just for the MOT? it was a right pig getting to the boost sensor, i cut my fingers open.

also the map sensor plug had went brittle and cracked the locking tab off the plug! so ive had to cabletie it between the 4 wires for now :(

I took it off as i couldnt be arsed with them asking any questions. Plus it only takes 10 mins and its a doddle to remove and it was a good excuse to see what the difference was like going back to standard.

More power hey!! Do let me know if there are any developments for it. 

I do think they should put a bit of effort into getting the right fitting instructions for specific engines. 

My TMC CAVE is up for a Dyno showdown! She is running an ITG though which frees up a few horses!

I've never had misfires though, even up until last week with my 29000mile old plugs. Got them changed under my service and if anything the power seems a little stronger.

• Like 1

mattewl,

there is a few location that will really show up if you have a misfire.

A90 heading South after Stonehaven slip, past the Camera and then climbing back up towards the slip on road & before the Long Straight and the next Camera.

Or going up the Hill to Blackburn from the camera heading North.

I would get the Plugs changed before booting it any more if you know there is a misfire showing.

Boost at 3,500 rpm plus with the Turbo

& a Cylinder Misfire can have the ECU shut the Turbo down.

(not good uphill at full chat in an outside lane, Lorries inside you etc,  i have that very Tshirt.)

mattewl,

there is a few location that will really show up if you have a misfire.

A90 heading South after Stonehaven slip, past the Camera and then climbing back up towards the slip on road & before the Long Straight and the next Camera.

Or going up the Hill to Blackburn from the camera heading North.

I would get the Plugs changed before booting it any more if you know there is a misfire showing.

Boost at 3,500 rpm plus with the Turbo

& a Cylinder Misfire can have the ECU shut the Turbo down.

(not good uphill at full chat in an outside lane, Lorries inside you etc,  i have that very Tshirt.)

i know what a missfire feels like from when i had my citroen and coils were blowing on a weekly basis. this is just a baby, feels like it did when a coil was about to go on the citroen, like a little lump, judder, splutter. 

no doubt itll be fine when i give it a fresh set of plugs :)

it shown its self the other day when i started the car and tried to climb a hill, it spluttered. 

fresh plugs and itll be fine :) IMO this box running more boost has just shown an underlying issue which has been there for a while.

the blackburn north camera is the one im on about i think, the one just just before kirkhill forest?

Edited by matthewl

My TMC CAVE is up for a Dyno showdown! She is running an ITG though which frees up a few horses!

I've never had misfires though, even up until last week with my 29000mile old plugs. Got them changed under my service and if anything the power seems a little stronger.

i would happily put my home made induction kit back on for a dyno shoot out....

no doubt yours will have more power though, imo the bluespark box isnt as well developed as the tmc, in the sense that it only attaches to two sensors,

is ITG the only thing you have done?

I took it off as i couldnt be arsed with them asking any questions. Plus it only takes 10 mins and its a doddle to remove and it was a good excuse to see what the difference was like going back to standard.

More power hey!! Do let me know if there are any developments for it. 

I do think they should put a bit of effort into getting the right fitting instructions for specific engines. 

yeah more power would be great, not that i think i need it though, this is pretty mental imo, no doubt i will get used to it in a week and be searching for more power in a months time....

The Scores on the Doors with a Dyno are interesting,  its the Power and Torque going up the Gears in a static position.

It is not real world, booting it and driving with car carrying passengers, more weight,

different weather etc.

Care needs taken with Tuning Boxes and Boost to Turbo on a Twin Charger.

Care needs taken in Damp Moist Weather, Rainy or Damp,

Induction Kits etc, where you might get a Misfire.

70 mph. in 7th,  3,600 rpm. starting to put the engine under load,

maybe drop 2 gears with Down Change or Kickdown.

drops to 2,400 RPM, Supercharger on Demand and Turbo.

Thats the sort of place you get an EPC or Emissions light or both, & Limp Mode.

Maybe higher revs, 5,000 rpm plus and drop the RPM to 3,500 with a bit of kickdown.

Where a plug on its way out gives up the ghost.

Really it is a different matter from driving a Turbo Engine Citroen & feeling a Misfire from an Ignition Coil or such.

Fresh Plugs and they usually are fine,

just dont risk the expensive mishap before changing the Plugs.

(You got the Warning with Misfires that they need looked at and possibly changed.)

New Plugs fitted and tried out before the Remap or Tuning Box are a good idea,

so that you know what improvement is down to the Map or Tuning Box.

More Important,

You also know that all is well with the engine in standard tune,

and can pick up on unusual or potentially damaging behaviour with the up in Power.

george