Anti corrosion warranty - experiences?

So, took the Superb to the local Skoda dealership today for a paint check.

I have bubbling on both wheelarches, bottom back corner of the driver's door and around the boot light fittings.

Very nice chap came out and did the run of the car with camera and paint depth gauge.

One of the wings has had paintwork done on it before (small prang), but the other 3 locations are factory finish.

He's putting in the claim for the lot, as he could see that obviously one wing had failed in exactly the same way and not been resprayed.

I'll be interested to see how it goes, reckoned I should hear in a few days.

For cars of my vintage (2005/6) it was 10 years on "perforation", whatever that means.  So I have around 2 years remaining.

"10 year warranty for perforation corrosion of the bodywork"

So, had a call from the lovely chap at the dealership to let me know that Skoda have accepted the claim for all the repairs highlighted (including both wings) - got to bring it to the actual bodyshop on Monday to see if they are going to be able to repair the panels or whether they are going to need to order in wings etc.

All going the right way for now...  :thumbup:

• Like 1

So, had a call from the lovely chap at the dealership to let me know that Skoda have accepted the claim for all the repairs highlighted (including both wings) - got to bring it to the actual bodyshop on Monday to see if they are going to be able to repair the panels or whether they are going to need to order in wings etc.

All going the right way for now...  :thumbup:

It took me 9 months to get my claim sorted, although I 100% think it was down to the Leicester Skoda dealership (rather than skoda themselves) and the company they outsource their body/paint jobs too.

• Like 1

The dealership here has their own bodyshop, so I guess that might speed things up.  I'll update once I know more... :)

Bodyshop checked it out yesterday, reckon there is no point attempting to repair the wings as they are gonners, so revised claim gone in for two new wings. They will try and repair the boot and door.

Here's hoping for good news :)

• Like 1

Are you able to post a picture of the goner wings?

Just interested in the level of decay.

Gaz

You can see some very poor pictures of the rust on the wings here.  Driver side is worse than passenger, but both getting pretty lumpy.

Next time I might wash it before taking pics... ;)

Oooh, that's a bit duff  :notme:

The joys of a wheel arch liner keeping damp sludge against unprotected metal?

Glad it's getting sorted.

Gaz

PS: a friends M3 is similar.  Out of warranty and £1300 to fix!  :sweat:

It is supposedly caused (according to the Passat forums) by a piece of foam soundproofing up behind the arch liner, which rubs collected grit into the back of the arch, destroys the galvanising and rusts it from the inside out.  Nice little design touch...

Apparently V6's suffer this less because they vibrate a bit less.  Passats are plagued with it because most of them ended up as 1.9's I think.

Yay, Skoda have signed off on two brand new wings, plus repairs to the door and bootlid.  Going into the bodyshop in a couple of weeks time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully picking up the old girl at the end of the week.  Skoda UK have had to splash out on a new door and boot lid, in addition to the wings, as they went through when grit blasted.  Will have been away for almost 3 weeks.

Just had mine looked at by the dealers (55 plate Superb).  Took it in for corrosion on the front wing and boot lid.  The dealer also found corrosion on both door sills, the rear wheel arches, and one of the doors.  They submitted a report to Skoda UK, who asked for an independent report from PWVI. 

It took 3 weeks for them to come a do the inspection and another 3 weeks to come back with the report.  The result is that Skoda are "not willing" to carry out any repairs as in their view the corrosion is "too advanced".  What a complete shower of ****.

I'm about to give customer services both barrels by email.

That's no fun.  I've just heard mine is going to be in a few days longer (middle of next week now), but at least it was all authorised.  Sounds like we have the same issues pretty much.  Not sure how the system works - whether it is worth going to another dealer or they are all the same answer now you have heard from SUK in relation to the vehicle.  The place I'm using do their own body shop repairs (I understand some dealerships have to contract it out) - not sure if that makes any difference to the claim process.

Got an email back from customer dis-services today as follows:

"I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced with your vehicle. However, after checking the technical report and the
independent PVWI report, both confirmed that the repairs to your vehicle were not warrantable.

Due to its age and mileage, your vehicle does not meet our parameters for a goodwill contribution towards the repair costs."

They might as well have just said **** off!  I'm not expecting to get anything out of them, but I'm just going to carry on anyway, and cause them the maximum irritation possible.  I've got an address for the CEO, and might set The Judge (Sunday Mail) on them as well.

Edited by daveholluk

132,000 on a 55 plate.  Drives like new and doesn't feel at all tired.  Just rotting away around me!

The only other problem I've had is a head gasket failure at 90,000.  Had the head skimmed and rebuilt.  Number 4 injector failed just afterwards, no doubt due to the overheating.

Not much different then at all.

These cars do seem to like to rust... I've never had a French car with such problems, but then again French cars have their own share of quirks...

Not owned any old Renaults.  All the Peugeots / Citroens I've had have been spotless.  I've had one engine eat itself pretty much though (DPF "system" putting fuel in the oil, turbo runaway, blah blah disaster), steering columns at MOT time, rear springs snapping into bits, yadda yadda...