Dash cam install

Carlodiesel

Just a bump on this thread as to 137699's question ! Id like to know also please,  as i would like to order piggy back fuse so its home when i arrive back from Uzbekistan on thursday !

Thanks

Specks

This one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADD-A-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-PIGGYBACK-EXTRAFUSE-MINI-BLADE-TYPE-/251170199430?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7ae91786

Or if you want the bigger one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADD-A-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-PIGGYBACK-FUSE-TAKES-STANDARD-FUSE-/251170198363?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7ae9135b

• Like 1

I completed my dash cam install yesterday.  I managed to get the 5v supply wiring tucked away pretty neatly, though I say so myself.

Unfortunately it turns out that the GPS part of the dashcam is faulty, so the unit itself is going to have to go back  :swear:

(Anyone got any tips about getting those 3M sticky pads off the windscreen, apart from Techmoan's dental floss trick?)

Just some photos for future reference.

CD

Or here eBay item number:

post-98872-0-35560100-1406546409_thumb.jpg

post-98872-0-17395500-1406546425_thumb.jpg

post-98872-0-99874000-1406546438_thumb.jpg

post-98872-0-66034600-1406546477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carlo diesel
  • Like 1

(Anyone got any tips about getting those 3M sticky pads off the windscreen, apart from Techmoan's dental floss trick?)

I find you can just peel them off by hand if they are nice and warm.

Park in the sun.

Apply firm pressure to one edge, lift up and peel.

Have done this many times.

Just some photos for future reference.

How did you get that s/t screw in?  I couldn't get a drill into the space to get enough purchase to drill a pilot hole - the metal there seems fairly tough.  I gave up and used velcro sticky tabs in the end and earthed the 5v adaptor to the torx screw holding the actual fuse panel in place.

I find you can just peel them off by hand if they are nice and warm.

Park in the sun.

Apply firm pressure to one edge, lift up and peel.

Have done this many times.

Car had been in the sun all afternoon and it did indeed peel off as you describe  :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but i am going to be installing a dash cam to my Yeti soon, cam, piggyback fuse holder all ordered it all looks very straight forward from all the posts i have read.

One thing is puzzling me though, some posters are using a 12v to 5v converter and others just cut the 12v plug off and attach the piggyback to the live. I was intending on doing the latter, is this ok?

Thanks in advance

Really must get one after a lorry nearly succeeded in crushing me on the A64 yesterday. My wife phoned the number on the side of the wagon to report the driver. I doubt they will do anything but it Made her feel a little better.....it really shocked us both. Sending the firm the recording would have jade the situation very clear

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but i am going to be installing a dash cam to my Yeti soon, cam, piggyback fuse holder all ordered it all looks very straight forward from all the posts i have read.

One thing is puzzling me though, some posters are using a 12v to 5v converter and others just cut the 12v plug off and attach the piggyback to the live. I was intending on doing the latter, is this ok?

Thanks in advance

If you intend to fit a power socket and use the dash-cam's own plug to connect up, then you don't need a 12v to 5v transformer.

If you intend to snip the plug off your dash cam's lead and connect straight to the power, then you DO need a 12v to 5v transformer or you will fry it.

• Like 1

If you intend to fit a power socket and use the dash-cam's own plug to connect up, then you don't need a 12v to 5v transformer.

If you intend to snip the plug off your dash cam's lead and connect straight to the power, then you DO need a 12v to 5v transformer or you will fry it.

Thanks for that, i ordered the bits for both ways so i should be good  :D