Paint blistering on boot lid

I have noticed some paint blistering around the boot panels.  There are two smaller ones and a larger area on top of the boot lid.  I've attached a pic of that one (hopefully it uploads ok!).  I did hear a popping noise the other day from that area when I was driving but not sure if that's connected or not.  It has been pretty warm and humid recently however it is raining this morning and the paint blister has levelled off a little but now there is a sticky resin coming out of the area and the cracking is still visible and it feels like its going to peel away.

I've also noticed some chipping on the outside of the hatch panel but I think I've seen somebody mention that before so that's a known issue perhaps.

I'll obviously be bringing it to the dealer (yet again :devil: ) as its only six months old but just wondering if anybody else has experienced the blistering?  The car is magnetic brown BTW

post-109781-0-82312000-1404458476_thumb.jpg

Is that your car or a picture from space?! Doesn't look good. Good luck with the dealer.

Yeah I know the pic looks odd alright like something from space, maybe the aliens sprayed it :)  Annoying in a new car

you're really having no luck at all with this skoda........not sure but maybe worth looking at the rules regarding rejecting a new car especially since it's only 6 months old and this is another on a ever growing list of problems.

as to the paint, I once had paint on the roof of a Focus completely break down while parked at airport parking in the sun for 3 weeks with a big bird crap on it.

Ok we had a decent hot spell over here recently, maybe getting into the twenties some days but surely not enough to cause that?

Now that you mention the issues are growing alright......faulty MFI button, ignition switch, boot strut fail, handling issues and now the paint.   I've had some minor problems before on other Skodas but not inside six months. I've just been a bit unlucky with this one I think and although I'd still recommend them for value, comfort etc etc it does make you think a little.  My own view is that Skoda may be starting to adopt the philosophy of some other car brands.....i.e. we have earned such a good reputation people will buy them anyway and we don't have to try as hard anymore.  Success can brings complacency!

I'll see what the dealer says next week. I just want to have it logged by the dealer so that I am covered.

Ok we had a decent hot spell over here recently, maybe getting into the twenties some days but surely not enough to cause that?

Yeah, it was really the bird mess that destroyed my paint, i suppose aided by temperature. temperature alone wouldn't do that.

Don't tell them you park it anywhere near a factory or paintshop or they'll play the industrial fallout card.

That looks like either the panel was greasy when it was painted or a small iron particle has landed and dug in and then done what a spot does to your face.

Second look at the pic shows staining, I wonder if someone has either intenionally or accidently put a corrosive fluid on there, could be as simple as someone has put a bottle of white spirit on the boot for a minute and left the spill to dry in and go to work.

Edited by Supurbia

Second look at the pic shows staining, I wonder if someone has either intenionally or accidently put a corrosive fluid on there, could be as simple as someone has put a bottle of white spirit on the boot for a minute and left the spill to dry in and go to work.

The staining actually feels sticky like a resin (more so today) and it appears to be weeping from the area where the cracking is - similar to a blister bursting on your skin.   Haven't been parked anywhere different.

Haven't noticed anything on mine and it is 20 months old. I will check mine as it is also Metallic Brown.

One thing I have noticed is that the paint doesn't appear hugely resilient. I have the usual stone chips but I do have a number of unexplained scratches that have gone through to the primer.

That said the build quality of my L&K is rubbish. Last warranty work I had done recently was a replacement exhaust shield as it had sheared at 26k miles. I also still have a rattle with the a/c which I will get them to look at during next service. Best thing is that the dealers say "never seen that before on a Superb". Car is a bit of a running joke at work.

Couldn't get a chance to get to the dealer. Hoping to get in before end of week. I've informed them though. The nasty looking bulge on the body has flattened out but has a jagged edge so looks like it's going to flake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planning on getting the car coated with Opti-Coat. I emailed Skoda about it and the following is what I received back...

(Opti-Coat also provides a warranty)

The Warranty covers manufacturing defects, i.e. defects in the paint and body work which are the responsibility of SKODA Production.

Generally detailing will not affect the warranty, however a distinction is necessary.

If the application or removal of the detailing causes damage to the paint, this will not be covered under warranty

• Interaction of a chemical process between the detaining and paint
  • Damage caused by equipment used
  • Visually Inconsistent natural diminishing of the paint
  • Etc…

Poor adhesion of the paintwork at SKODA Auto would be covered under the warranty.

I'm still thinking someone dropped an acid fluid on the car, all it would take is someone to put a can or a cup (like the mongs at work do to me with their coffee and red bull containers) and left unwiped it burns it's way in, it's the staining that makes me think this may have happened to you.

Definitely not malicious vandalism? A next door neighbour of mine (several houses ago) was a biker and used to keep a water pistol with brake fluid in it under the screen and give drivers who cut him up a quick squirt in revenge. Nonsense I know but it goes to show you what some people are like

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update:  After reporting this to the dealer during the summer I was informed that Skoda had logged it and were still looking into it and I didn't hear anything since.  Now I discovered that the blistering has appeared on four separate parts of the roof!!  The boot lid still has a crack on the paintwork from before.  The roof areas are similar to the pic I posted at the top of thread - blistering paint spots with traces of what appears to be lacquer draining from them. There are also early signs of this on the bonnet too!  I am obviously lot more concerned about this now and the dealer it taking it a lot more seriously this time.

It is definitely nothing malicious or stone chips and the dealer has acknowledged that.  The only conclusion I can come to that moisture became trapped in the paint process.

Do you park underneath anything untoward?

No, I don't park under trees or anything that would leak or drop - underground carparks would be an obvious one if there was liquid seeping through but I am parked in the open both at work and at home.  No extreme temperatures or I don't have pets climbing around the car either.  I can' think of anything else really.......

• 1 month later...

Update: Well I have had the car assessed by Skoda (through the dealer) and their final report points to an external substance as the cause I.e the damage has penetrated from the outside in as opposed to the inside out! I'm not happy with this at all as the blistering has appeared on different panels at different times. I've been pushing Skoda Ireland but to no avail. I'm also worried about the impact it will have at resale time of these blisters worsen [emoji35].

I could try another independent report but Skoda will obviously rely on their assessor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pay for an independent paintwork assessor; I would be really worried about that; hard to tell from one photo, but it doesn't look external. I would personally push really hard, take legal advice, and stop them stringing the matter out. No one would want to purchase it like that, and tbh, repairing it is not ideal. Deal with it asap. 

• Like 1

Just pay for an independent paintwork assessor; I would be really worried about that; hard to tell from one photo, but it doesn't look external. I would personally push really hard, take legal advice, and stop them stringing the matter out. No one would want to purchase it like that, and tbh, repairing it is not ideal. Deal with it asap. 

Yes I certainly intend doing that.  Its too much money to spend on a new car and not have good quality paintwork. Anything paint related needs to be a respray really (well on the panel anyway) and that's not cheap!

If Skoda are saying that it is an external substance, have you asked them to use their their technology to advise what the substance is. Not being an expert but i would have thought the forensic analysis done by a manufacturer such as Skoda should be able to tell you what caused it. If they say they cannot do this, then challenge them on how they arrived at their conclusion. 

Just a thought  :mmm:

• Like 1

If Skoda are saying that it is an external substance, have you asked them to use their their technology to advise what the substance is. Not being an expert but i would have thought the forensic analysis done by a manufacturer such as Skoda should be able to tell you what caused it. If they say they cannot do this, then challenge them on how they arrived at their conclusion. 

Just a thought  :mmm:

Cheers, I did ask them that and funny enough they couldn't tell me!  You're right though, the technology should be sophisticated enough to get to that level of detail - well they informed me that they looked at the various layers of paint so I can only guess it must be sophisticated equipment

http://www.matcoinc.com/home/services/materials-testing-and-failure-analysis-new/failure-analysis/paint-coating-failure-analysis

Have a look at the above, you may find something that will help you to put more pressure on them. It nothing else, ask them to disprove the experts reasoning on paint failure.

Good luck

• Like 1