Advice please from those that have recently bought a used Superb

I know a number of members have recently purchased a used Superb, so I thought I would seek some advice.

First Q, where did you look for used Superb's? I've obviously placed an ad on the suitable classifieds forum here and maybe on eBay too based on peoples feedback. Not sure about Autotrader yet, and anywhere else I should be looking at?

Also if you have the time, here is my ad, is there anything I'm missing in the wording that would help??

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/322839-superb-170bhp-20d-elegance-4x4-estate/

Thanks in advance for any assistance, cheers Steve.

Fabulous looking car - got to be one of the best ones in the UK.

Could be worth approaching a Skoda dealership who may sell it on your behalf.  For a cut, of course.  Because it's in such amazing condition, I'm sure they'd be delighted to have it on their forecourt if you can agree a price.

Steve, I only looked on autotrader if that's any help to you. They have a very good app, which can draw a lot of people into looking.

GLWTS - looks really good. If only I knew about this forum when I was looking to buy, and the care that members obviously take over their cars.

Looks keenly priced too.

I think the latest maps for the columbus are V11, so maybe remove "(latest v9 maps)",  and add Leaving Home to the list. Pictures are good, looks like a sweet ride!

If you really want to sell it though, you have to be bold...make an ad and throw it on Youtube;

Edited by Too Tall

Hi Steve,

Yes, she looks in lovely condition!

As a comparator, I've just purchased a one owner late Sept 2011 Twindoor Elegance 170 manual in Candy White. The only extras are Park Assist and a full size spare. She's got a warranted 25k with service history and all bills and comes with the Approved 12m SUK warranty.

They're giving her first MOT, a set of OEM mats and umbrella which was missing and 12m RFL. They're also delivering it to me which is a 180 mile round trip. I've paid £13k inclusive which is a bit under book franchise retail.

So all-in-all, I guess with it being an estate and 4x4, but a year older and with more miles, it's a bit over book, by £1000 or so; mileage is a bit over too.. A dealer would offer you circa £11k without a trade-in. Does the 2010 have DRL? If so you need to mention these too..

Cheers...Rob

According to Parkers it's a bit expensive. They say a franchised dealer would sell it (with 40k miles) for £13740, independant dealer £13115, private good £12615, private poor £10550 and you'd get £11615 as a trade in. I'd say that with your extra year's running on it (the extra 10k) it would come down some more too, probably at least a grand across the board. Obviously their guide can be out so you need to relate that somehow to any others for sale anywhere but, using that guide, I'd say you should be looking to get about £11500.

Don't get me wrong, your car and the pics look fantastic and I wish you the best with your sale, but remember lots of folks wanting to buy a car at that value want to HP it, they often have a trade-in they want to get rid of easily, and also want the benefit of a dealer warranty, and are prepared to pay extra for it all.

From a selling point of view I often use Auto Trader, they have a wide appeal. Consider leaving some info out of your advert so that when someone phones they have things to ask you. For example you could say long MOT & tax, but not specify when they run out, say full dealer history but not list the actual details etc. Personally I wouldn't put anyone off coming to see it by telling them when they can buy it, or by demanding full insurance - leave all that until after they've been interested enough to phone you.

Hope this helps :)

Does the 2010 have DRL? If so you need to mention these too..

Cheers...Rob

Hi Rob

Yes they do, and I upgraded them to CREE LED's, but forgot to mention them. Thanks for that, and yes estates in general do seem to go for a quite a premium, and 4x4 ones more so.

Cheers

Steve

I think the latest maps for the columbus are V11, so maybe remove "(latest v9 maps)",  and add Leaving Home to the list. Pictures are good, looks like a sweet ride!

My mistake, I thought Skoda dealers were still using v9. Thanks for the heads up. cheers, Steve

I've sold my last three cars on eBay Motor's.

Spend the time to go into the smallest detail about the car and its history, take lots and lots of pictures and away you go!

Auto trader and ebay were my 2 sources, still took 5 months before I found what I wanted. As other posters have said loads of (good resolution) pictures and lots of detailed info make all the difference especially if people are going to have to travel a fair way to see a car. Looks like a nice one GLWS.

Auto trader and ebay were my 2 sources, still took 5 months before I found what I wanted. As other posters have said loads of (good resolution) pictures and lots of detailed info make all the difference ......

Hi Seve,

I concur with Jagmate. I looked at ebay and Autotrader as my main sources but it did take a good few months to find what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. I looked at quite a few, mostly at dealers and eventually found a '59 plate twindoor with 74k on the clock and FSH for £9k. The other cars I looked at were around £10k+ and were still for sale after I bought mine - with the dealers dropping the price by a few hundred per month. I agree with others in that your car looks truely Superb, but at the end of the day money talks. Look at ebay and Autotrader and see what level your competition are pricing their cars. As a private seller you are going to have to undercut the dealers, as you are looking for a customer with at least say £12k in readies, rather than someone looking for a trade in with finance. I'm sure there are some out there,  and they will be buying a fabulous car. Just be realistic with the price.

All the best

Stu

Steve, I only looked on autotrader if that's any help to you. They have a very good app, which can draw a lot of people into looking.

GLWTS - looks really good. If only I knew about this forum when I was looking to buy, and the care that members obviously take over their cars.

Looks keenly priced too.

Thanks Jake and others who have suggested places, it's up on eBay and looks like I should look at putting it up on autotrader too.

I suppose as expected, a few people have commented on price. I've looked at 4x4 estates over last three months since I ordered my new car, and there hasn't been one below £15,500 unless it has over 80K miles or is a V6 and they are selling. On average, dealers have been pricing similar age mileage and spec estates at ~£15,500-16,995, so taking comments about dealer warranty, ease of finance etc. My price should be about right. Typically one has appeared on autotrader this week at £13,995 so I'll keep an eye on others coming on over next few weeks.

I know I'm in the right ballpark as the trade in price I was offered is above some of the suggestions here for what I should be selling it privately.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions everyone :)

Getting a good elegance estate is difficult. It took me three months to find one that I liked and I used mainly Autotrader and Ebay. If you get some one to have a look they will pay what you are asking. There are not a great deal of decent cars about. So stick with your price and see what happens.