Cleaning instruments

Hi

Now I have my new car, nothing annoys me more than the perspex on the dials being scratched when the sun is on them, looking like someone as done ice skating on them Lol 

As anyone found a way to keep them scratch free when cleaning them? I have used an air duster that you use to blow dust off computer stuff etc and it seems to get the dust of quite well :)

Any other solutions? scratch free :)

Stuart

Daft question whats IPA... Lol I think I know the answer :)

Google is your friend, and no it's not beer :D

I use Nilglass, ok it's a glass cleaner but great for such things as TV/PC screens as well. Use a microfibre cloth.

Edited by MickA

I vacuum them first using a soft brush attachment then use a light spray of ag vinyl and rubber care on a mf cloth. Can't say I've noticed any scratches as a result of doing it this way. Whatever you use as a cleaning agent a good mf cloth is a must IHO.

Be very VERY careful when you try to clean the plastic screens. Previous owner of mine definately used something with either abrasive qualities or there was some serious grit in his MF towel...lots of long loops and scratches on mine. I noticed it on buying the car, and in wintertime or at night there's no problem. However, I really notice it when the sun is shining.

I have a new instrument panel waiting to be installed, should be tomorrow.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the same on the latest ones but the maxi dot display seems to have no protection on the screen at all. I usually dust with a mf.

Any cloth (micro fibre or not) has potential to scratch the plastic - that dust you see may well be quartz sand or other similarly nasty materials, which when caught in the cloth and dragged across the screen causes the scratches.  The best LCD cleaning kit I've had came with an extremely floppy brush for first removing the dust, and then a micro fibre cloth, but the air is even better.  

Some air dusters can launch propellant if you aren't careful.  To avoid that you can get little canisters of CO2 with a dusting attachment.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meade_scopes/scope_clean-astro_eng_fs.htm.  Air dusting is preferable to any kind of contact, it just doesn't always get all the dust, and can't do anything for smudges or drips / sneeze marks.

Beware of the deep haired microfibres - they are great at holding dirt in their loops.  I keep my reusable lens micro fibre cloth in a zip lock bag to keep the dust off.

If you want to go all-out, then get some clean-room manufactured single use microfibres, and use them after having dusted off the plastic.  These things are used for cleaning camera CCD sensors and the like.  Not cheap though:

http://www.crookedimaging.co.uk/dustaidcloth002-dust-aid-dust-cloth-mf-microfibre-for-camera-sensor-and-lens-cleaning-50-pack.html

If you want to keep it pristine though you will need to make sure no-one else cleans it for you, because you can guarantee no-one else will take as much care! :)

anyone tried finding/using  a screen protector on this? My worry would be reducing the sensitivity of the screen as I already find I have to push fairly hard to get the system to respond at times!

I would definitely recommend a deep pile quality microfibre.

These are my current favourite for my car's interior.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/microfibre-buffing-towels/monster-microfibre-purple-monster/prod_1298.html

A beautiful heavyweight, soft blend microfibre, absolute quality, used with a nice interior cleaning spray like Auto finesse Spritz the inside of my car stays lovely and clean and the clear plastics undamaged.

A lot comes down to discipline in caring for your cloths, don't use them for multiple tasks, wash them correctly, tumble dry and pack away inbetween uses.