Rear brake disc backplates.

My indy got them. I think other places do sell them, I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that had tehm for about £5. Dealer is about £20.

It's a hub off job.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a combination of splash and gravel /dirt protection, thermal protection for suspension parts (don't want to liquidate all the ball joint / tie rod end grease or burn off the boots), and airflow management.

Just what i have read about it suppose the fronts would be more useful than rears, cut my rears off my mk 1 Vrs seemed no difference. 

Also saves replacing hub.

If you're just going to cut them off just be careful not to knock the magnets in the hub or you'll end up changing it anyway when your ABS stops working.

That was me that was :dull:

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

You dont need to replace the hub you just remove it & its only one bolt to remove it.  ;) saying that the haynes manual says you must replace the bolt if you remove it......didnt order 2 of those......damn. 

If you're just going to cut them off just be careful not to knock the magnets in the hub or you'll end up changing it anyway when your ABS stops working.

That was me that was :dull:

What do you mean?

I've had my tyre pressure alarm thing come on a few times and that works on abs doesn't it? maybe related.

:D

There are ring magnets set into the hub. They're just steel so they rust over time and get fragile.

When my back plate came loose I just thought I'd cut it off with a dremel and forget about it. In the process of doing that I must have bashed the magnet and knocked a bit out. Makes all the ABS related functions fail (ABS ESP and TPS) and you need to replace the whole hub since the magnet is integrated.

Edited by Aspman