Octavia VRS FL Tdi DSG. Guide/Mpg?

I had a test drive in the above mentioned car today after searching for a mk2 vrs TDI for some time. It ticks all the boxes for me however it has the dsg box and I've been looking for a manual.

Overall I was very impressed with how smooth the gear changes were compared to the 3 series BMW auto I owned a few years ago. A few things concern me though mainly surrounding the comparison of the mpg figure compared to the manual and any potential problems that could develop pain a few years time with the gearbox. The car is a 61 plate with full Skoda history and 46k on the clock and has had one dsg service. Anything I should be looking out for and if anyone can provide their experience on running the same car that would be great.

The sales manager told me I would get 47mpg but I thought he had just plucked the figure out of the air! 45mpg I can live with. Does it make much difference if you drive it in manual mode using the paddles?

I get around 45-50 from mine from a 52 mile/day commute which whilst it's based on maxidot doesn't seem that bad. If I brimmed it and did it properly ie two comparison runs, it might be different, but I can't be bothered and anyway, I'm not paying for it.  The sparewheel is an optional extra - about £75 if my memory serves me correctly, or you could try an auction site. 

Ah ok cheers for the reply! Is there any known problems with the dsg box on these. Ive had a search through various forums and it seems all the problems were with the early boxes failing when the system was first introduced. I plan on keeping the car for at least 4 or 5 years and my comute is 100 miles a day so looking for the same reliability as my mk1 tdi octavia has offered

Never had any trouble with any of mine and I'm on my fourth Octavia. All have been DSG. The box needs an oil change at 40k - make sure that's been done. They also suffer from weak diesel particulate filter issues but doing 100 miles a day it shouldn't be a problem as it'll get nice and hot and burn off any residual soot. 

I drive my VRS with DSG all time in manual mode.. mpg wise doesn't change much I usually average about 47mpg but usally change gear late than the auto mode would as end up messing around... I love the DSG box it's amazing would happily get another one..

The sales manager told me I would get 47mpg but I thought he had just plucked the figure out of the air! 45mpg I can live with. Does it make much difference if you drive it in manual mode using the paddles?

I couldn't say , have only used the paddles a few times, I prefer to leave it in D and let the car do the work!

The spare wheel is an option, mine didn't have one so I sourced my own.

It's a great car though, I'd highly recommend one. Ticks pretty much all the boxes for me.

Good to hear its all positive! Will have to look at sourcing a spare wheel though wouldnt seem right without one! Only other thing i noticed was the higher tax band for the dsg model? How does that work if its the same engine?

My 2012 car has now done 25K miles and in the 16K I have owned it has averaged just over 43mpg.  I usually leave it in D.  I use the paddles to change down for an overtake and sometimes before a sharp bend.  The DSG (like all autos) reacts to what is happening now rather than what is about to happen.  I am definitely a fan of the DSG.

When I bought my car at one year old it had no spare wheel just a can of foam.  As part of the deal the dealer swapped that for a proper spare (205/55-16 tyre on a steel wheel) and the wheelbrace, jack, etc. kit.

Hi, I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the DSG box, I've had mine since 4 months old and 5K on the clock, now 4 years old and pushing 100k...its never missed a beat, easily does 550miles on a tank of diesel and it was one of the first remappped by shark performance to 210bhp and 450nm torque, absolutely love it and the box shifts exactly as it did when new, reckon its easily good for another 100K...go for it!

Skoda recommend every 4 years

VW, for the same engine, 5 years

Cant remember the mileage...around 80, 000 Km

So youre very near...Ive gone over the 4 years but have only 39,000 miles on the car

Spoken to VW and they say it will be fine

Spoke to SUK and they say it should be changed now

So its definately a question to ask when buying it

Youre looking at a price of around £499 for that and the water pump

Skoda say 5 years if it's made after 2010 (I forget the exact month) so if you're going on time then it's not due till 2016.

The mileage varies on who you ask but a safe bet would be 60k in my opinion.

Either way it's not due yet so I doubt it'll have been done.

Hi, I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the DSG box, I've had mine since 4 months old and 5K on the clock, now 4 years old and pushing 100k...its never missed a beat, easily does 550miles on a tank of diesel and it was one of the first remappped by shark performance to 210bhp and 450nm torque, absolutely love it and the box shifts exactly as it did when new, reckon its easily good for another 100K...go for it!

There's also a member on here who ran an Octavia 2.0 PD140 DSG as a taxi. Clocked up over 600,000kms without any issues. Just the usual stuff like a DMF replacement but this is the same on a manual gearbox too.

I believe he also had the car remapped from new too!

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

Skoda say 5 years if it's made after 2010 (I forget the exact month) so if you're going on time then it's not due till 2016.

The mileage varies on who you ask but a safe bet would be 60k in my opinion.

Either way it's not due yet so I doubt it'll have been done.

The official stance from Skoda UK is 120K miles or 5 years, mine was ( it thought due) but as it is a 2010 vehicle its not due for another 12 months

I do an 80-mile round trip each day, with a mix of local roads, A-roads and Motorway (about 70% motorway) and I'm averaging 47MPG over extended periods. On an individual journey if I stick to below 70MPH it has frequently been as high as 55MPG, occasionally a touch more. But most of the time I'm 'going with the flow' at motorway speeds, during rush hour traffic and I get 47MPG.

I get 50+ mpg when I set the cruise at a sensible speed. Flip-side it doesn't drop to anything under 42 mpg when I'm more enthusiastic. FL 2010 vRS DSG TDI estate and it's got to be the best pound for pound performance car I've owned - admittedly its been re-mapped by Shark so running 205 bhp and this has transformed it. Doesn't cost the earth to tax/insure, good economy and has a certain Q car feel to it which I like.