Copper brake pipe replacement

oh_superb

Hi all,

my wife's Honda failed the MOT today on corroded front to rear copper pipes.  What they quoted to replace them is ridiculous, but they say it is 5 hrs labour (!) as they have to custom fit the copper pipe.

I am tempted to do it myself.  Anyone tried this themselves?  Anyone near Northampton who can lend me the "pipe flaring tool", or offer some advice?  I can get the pipes for a tenner, so this could be a cheap repair, just need some time/tools to do it :-)  How hard could it be?  Famous last words….

Yes it can be done, and a lot more cheaply than that garage cost.

If you can manage to accurately measure the length of the pipe(s) required, and note the fittings required at each end, then your local motor factor will probably make up the pipes for you at a nominal price.  Then it's "just" a matter of routing them into place, and refilling and bleeding the brake fluid.

It's a nice feeling having fitted copper, knowing you'll probably never have to replace it again.  Makes you wonder why they didn't use copper or cunifer tubing in the first place.

Edited by Tdi1.9

Making the flared ends can be a bit hit and miss particulary with a cheap flaring tool. The cost of a decent one would negate the saving. The fittings and pipe are the cheap bit. No doubt the pipe has a lot of twists and turns which would mean getting the pipe off for the garage to replicate again, a bit hit and miss. Its best to start at one end and work along fixing the pipe, finishing with the final flair at the other. The other option is to get a flexible pipe made up so you have a bit of "give" when installing Russ Bost is a top guy and can help you, linkage here. http://furoreproducts.co.uk/9-brake-hoses All the best with it.

Thanks guys.

All of my pipes are rusty, and the one it failed on is one of the two that run from the front to the rear of the car.

They quoted 5 hours labour as the fuel tank had to be taken off.

I jacket the car up this morning for a full assessment and the tank does NOT need to come off, the pipes are routed neatly around the fuel tank (which is under the front seats BTW on the Jazz).  The actual corroded section is only the last 80-100 mm (if that) at the rear where the pipes join to the rubber flexible tube.

Perhaps I could just cut out the final 6" and replace that with a suitable compression joint?

There is a Laser tool for sale at Halfrauds for £37, I also have a trade card so may come cheaper.  Good reviews too, so probably a good kit.

That would be a lot cheaper than £320 I was quoted by Formula1 Autocentre.  In fact I reckon I could replace ALL the metal brake pipes and rubber hoses for under half of that quote including the tool.  The pipes are routed on the left side of the car, only 300-400 from the sill, so installing is not as bad as it seems.. just need to jack up and axle stand one side of the car up.  If I attempt the work myself I would remove the old one and fabricate a carbon copy of the old one.  That would be my approach.  Flared joints scare me a bit, never tried it, but I am sure it is not rocket science!

I only tried once to repair part section and did not have a Professional tool but found the  factory pipe a lot harder than the cunifer I usually use   also make sure they are metric replacements union nuts

Edited by cheshire cat

I only tried once to repair part section and did not have a Professional tool but found the  factory pipe a lot harder than the cunifer I usually use   also make sure they are metric replacements union nuts

The oem factory pipes are probably laminated steel, much harder to work and flare. But also much more durable.

It's worth checking out what the dealer can supply oem ones for, the come re made and bent to shape with the flares and nuts fitted ready to fit to the car.

• Like 1

Can you not find the pipes off a scrapped one in better condition? I took the pipes off a 10yr old low mileage Ibiza and they were perfect front to back. If you can get them unscrewed, as long as the routing isn't too crazy, they are simple enough to unclip and remove when on your back. Get/make flared spanners!

Get yourself a decent flare tools and some cunifer pipe and a selection of ends which should be less than £100 and do it yourself.

It is easy once you get the hang of the tool. Just make sure you get the correct flare.

Just practice on some spare pipe first.

Do not use cooper unless you know what you are doing as it is very soft and very easy to squash it too much or damage the flared ends.

• 3 weeks later...