Ahhhh, she's so lovely....still in love with my old girl...

• 4 weeks later...

5 hour round trip to Ironbridge, A and B roads, 38.5 mpg (which was reset 300 miles before this journey), and as I drove back over the Cambrians and had a bit of fun - just to get the turbo working you understand - the sun was burning the mist of the mountains as we wound and whistled and tssed our way round some of the sweetest bends in the land, I hunkered down into the half leather and thought, 'sweeeet', not sure many other people I saw on the journey were as happy as we were.

• Like 2

what problems you having?

What am i not having,

Clutch pedal playing up, clunking on front suspension, rear door lock, binding rear brakes, rattling exhaust, and a never ending problem with the engine, starting with vac pipes and been a continual chase every payday since april. Next week it goes back in for more diagnostics on engine, another smoke test and more investigations into suspension.

This weekend looking into clutch, greasing up brakes. For every problem i fix it seems 2 more appear. Whats so annoying is its every area of the car, and i took my time finding it when i bought it. Fsh, 69k on an 03plate. No mods, nice and clean inside & out starting to think mileage is so low because of time it spends in garage.

So sorry to hear the trouble your having. Mine is nearly 14 years old with 120k on the clock and its still great. Drives like new. They're worth keeping I'm sure there is a good car there somewhere buddy. Calipers are common I've replaced both rear ones so thats easily sorted. Split vac pipes is also common I've had to change several. Knocking could be anti roll bar bushes. Again very very common problem. Change those for poly ones. Easy job again. Honestly buddy, persevere with it it'll be worth it.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, if the clutch pedal is jamming down it'll probably be the slave cylinder. Surprise very common. You'll get loads of help on here as we've pretty much all had the same issues.

There is a reason that you can still get a mk1 for use as a taxi :D

Funny you should say that as randomly one night I pulled up outside some shops in a parking bay section and an elderly foreign couple got in the back of my last octy vrs! Slightly confused and surprised I just asked 'where too then?' With a big grin on my face. They looked at me for a second as they realised they had made a mistake and in broken English asked if I was a taxi... I couldn't stop laughing and when I told my mates they ripped me for ages over it as they used to always call the skoda Cal's Cabs, even prior to this event-although they did appreciate how good the car was.

• Like 2

Just my luck, i get the 1 vrs that is absolute pants

Im actually looking forward to getting rid

That's a total bummer to hear matey :(

But pretty unusual. As others have said, if you do stick to sorting out those problems (which most owners also get - but maybe spread out over 3, 4, 5 years so it's not a major problem) then your car will eventually be totally reliable, bullet-proof and a joy to own. I guess it just depends upon your commitment!

Still in love with mine after starting this thread.

However I've also had to have a bit of a spend on mine in the last few months, with the MOT looming - so I've had to do a windscreen (£80 excess), front wishbones at £200, tyres all round at £240, front brakes at £50, yet another coilpack at £30, the temp. sender housing at £12 plus £25 of coolant, the exhaust which fell apart so a stainless replacement at £340, and then the yearly service which was £50 in parts...

But I don't regret a penny of it all, because the car is such a great thing to own and drive.

The MOT tester today complimented me on the overall condition for it's age and mileage (13 years old with 145k) and said it was nice to see a car of such vintage as obviously well looked-after.

That made me smile.....and she flew through with no advisories :D

Keep the faith!

• Like 1

I think all cars go through these phases, sometimes you're unlucky and a few things come at once or one after the other. Had a phase like this with my Toledo V5, but we got through it and had 8 months of fun before I found my yellow car. Looks to be a nice example, only had sticky thermostat so far, everything else has been mods, correcting a bad map, cam belt and an interim service, so I've spent a bit but I'm heading towards peace of mind and getting to know exactly where I'm at with it. MOT in Jan so fingers xd for that (1st for this car with me).

Anyway, upshot of what I'm saying is, most things there are common/wear and tear, yes they've all hit at once and its frustrating, but just work through the list. Each one that gets done is more peace of mind for the future. Only had mine 6 months but it is a rewarding car to own and unless it blows up I'm sticking with it. I'm sure we'll have a bad patch, but it will have to catch me 1st hehe

• Like 1

That's a total bummer to hear matey :(

But pretty unusual. As others have said, if you do stick to sorting out those problems (which most owners also get - but maybe spread out over 3, 4, 5 years so it's not a major problem) then your car will eventually be totally reliable, bullet-proof and a joy to own. I guess it just depends upon your commitment!

Still in love with mine after starting this thread.

However I've also had to have a bit of a spend on mine in the last few months, with the MOT looming - so I've had to do a windscreen (£80 excess), front wishbones at £200, tyres all round at £240, front brakes at £50, yet another coilpack at £30, the temp. sender housing at £12 plus £25 of coolant, the exhaust which fell apart so a stainless replacement at £340, and then the yearly service which was £50 in parts...

But I don't regret a penny of it all, because the car is such a great thing to own and drive.

The MOT tester today complimented me on the overall condition for it's age and mileage (13 years old with 145k) and said it was nice to see a car of such vintage as obviously well looked-after.

That made me smile.....and she flew through with no advisories :D

Keep the faith!

Chap in the garage the other week complimented me on my Octy looking really well looked after and just generally being a nice car. Only had the car a week or so at that point and nobody had ever bothered to compliment me on my old fabia, so I was made up! Loving this car, feels so good for a car of its age, I wouldn't believe it's 13 years old with 135k on the clock. Not like my mate's Picasso, you can tell it's old and knackered.

What am i not having,

Clutch pedal playing up, clunking on front suspension, rear door lock, binding rear brakes, rattling exhaust, and a never ending problem with the engine, starting with vac pipes and been a continual chase every payday since april. Next week it goes back in for more diagnostics on engine, another smoke test and more investigations into suspension.

This weekend looking into clutch, greasing up brakes. For every problem i fix it seems 2 more appear. Whats so annoying is its every area of the car, and i took my time finding it when i bought it. Fsh, 69k on an 03plate. No mods, nice and clean inside & out starting to think mileage is so low because of time it spends in garage.

Ok likely fixes for the easy ones:-

Clutch - Bleed the hydraulics. If that doesn't work, new slave cylinder.

FS clunk - These are often FARB mounting bushes (not the droplinks). Look for rust on the bar where it passes through the bushes as well as for worn bushes.

Exhaust - Do this with a "weight on wheels" lift. Look for evidence of it touching bodywork (include undertray if you have a full-length one, not standard on vRS). After that, give the boxes, including the cat, a slap and see if you get a rattle from them. If you do then you've got broken baffles in that box. Also look for bad welds on heat shields.

Rear brakes - Is the handbrake mechanism free? If so, then the answer is probably sticky pistons.