Fitting hids

How do they cope with a headlight flash, I've heard that they don't like it as they cannot ignite quickly enough?

On the black pack lights theres only one hid kit doing both low and high beam.

Theres a shutter that goes up when you flash the lights, which rises the beam pattern and makes full beam.

So theres no ignition process going on.

You are right though, in the silver lights (seperate high beam and dipped beam bulbs) i had hids in dip and high beam.

They didnt work too well as they took too long to warm up and soon broke after just a few months. Still got them in the dipped beam though, and I've not got osram nightbreakers in the high beam. This seems to work best in the silver lights :).

my brother fitted his yesterday to his black pack VRS, they are the HID direct kit,

are they good????

Well put it this way i just ordered a set for mine now, gone 5k as the blue makes the led's look yellow

5k still looks a slight blue. Like oem xenons.

4300k is the lowest you can get usually.

5k still looks a slight blue. Like oem xenons.

4300k is the lowest you can get usually.

do you lose anything on the output or is it just the colour??? it's about 10 years since i messed with HID kits myself ( they were a lot more then, i paid £300 back then)

On the black pack lights theres only one hid kit doing both low and high beam.

Theres a shutter that goes up when you flash the lights, which rises the beam pattern and makes full beam.

So theres no ignition process going on.

You are right though, in the silver lights (seperate high beam and dipped beam bulbs) i had hids in dip and high beam.

They didnt work too well as they took too long to warm up and soon broke after just a few months. Still got them in the dipped beam though, and I've not got osram nightbreakers in the high beam. This seems to work best in the silver lights :).

It was the Black Pack lights I was thinking about, I'd like to fit them but wouldn't want to have issues with the headlamp flash tbh that's why I have just changed the bulbs out for Osram Night Breaker Unlimited ones.

It was the Black Pack lights I was thinking about, I'd like to fit them but wouldn't want to have issues with the headlamp flash tbh that's why I have just changed the bulbs out for Osram Night Breaker Unlimited ones.

Yeah. Flashing the lights when theyve been off wont be too good. They will flash, but it doesnt do the kit much good.

Flashing when theyre already on and warm will be good though

do you lose anything on the output or is it just the colour??? it's about 10 years since i messed with HID kits myself ( they were a lot more then, i paid £300 back then)

The lower the colour the better the visible output generally.

4300/5000k are the best for output, after that they get more bluey purple and look Chavy with less useful light :).

The kits have come down a lot since then eh! :).

The lower the colour the better the visible output generally.

4300/5000k are the best for output, after that they get more bluey purple and look Chavy with less useful light :).

The kits have come down a lot since then eh! :).

Ok cool, its the 5k i have gone for, hopefully get them fitted this week

Skoda OEM factory fit xenon and bi-xenon headlights are 4300K.

That's good to know, might try a different temp myself soon. Always gone with 6000k myself but the output isn't as good on the fab as it was on other cars and I put that down to the black pack units but maybe a different temp bulb will make a bit of a difference.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Anything will be an improvement over standard Halogens in black pack headlights :D

However 6000K is less bright than 4300K.

4300K = 3,200 usable lumens

5000K = 3,000 usable lumens

6000K = 2,800 usable lumens

8000K = 2,500 usable lumens

Colour temperature is measured in Kelvin (K).

Brightness is measured in Lumens.

Intensity is measured in Candela.

Useful reading here...

http://www.mobilehid.com/3000k.htm

• Like 2

the light throws further which is the issue with halogens in the black headlights.  Will do a comparison on saturday as my brother went 6k but i have ordered the 5k.  We checked the alignment on brothers at mates MOT test centre so he's not been flashed

• Like 1

I assume you guys ordering the 6000K HID kits are more interested in looks than light output?

Just curious as since your going to the effort of buying and fitting a HID kit why not go for the brighter 4300K kit?

• Like 1

I like the look of the 6000k and that's what I have always used and got decent results, it's only with the black pack units I've noticed they are not as effective as they were in standard 'silver' projector units. I'm thinking of asking Santa for some new bulbs! Do the 4300K have Amy yellow tinge to them? I am considering the 5000k atm

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4300K has no yellow in it, but is more white than blue.

Take a look at any VAG car with factory fit xenon's, these are 4300K.

I'd stay away from 6000K as they look too blue, a bit 'Halfords'.

The only exception to this is the Mazda 6. It's xenon headlights are very blue as standard.

The new LED headlights (Mercedes E Class, Audi A6 / A8 and SEAT Leon etc.) are more blue too.

• Like 1

The only exception to this is the Mazda 6. It's xenon headlights are very blue as standard.

The new LED headlights (Mercedes E Class, Audi A6 / A8 and SEAT Leon etc.) are more blue too.

You sound like you drive around spotting headlights too.

I dont mean to do it.... I just do. Haha.

• Like 1

They are a little "blue" but not that "BLUE" :-)