Yeti 1.2 Tsi

polanglo

Hello there,

Some may say I'm a bit mad to buy a Yeti, considering that I'm really happy with my Octavia II FL 2.0 Tdi, but the thing is that I hardly ever use it on long trips 50 miles plus, mostly just 20 miles to the next town a few times a week. I have filled up the boot with stuff, massive though it is, only about 3 times in 2 years and yes, the economy is great, averaging sometimes nearly 70mpg. I drove to Poland from Dover (where I filled up) and did 783 miles on one tank. But that's not the be all and end all, is it. Absolutely no handling on my Octavia, lots of understeer, totally boring and underwhelming to drive. Competent, but no more. 

I've got 2 years left, unfortunately, on my leasing and then when the current Yeti is due to be replaced I'd like one. Don't need a diesel, I only do 10,000 miles a year. So although I can look forward to 45mpg at best the 1.2 sounds good. Looks a nice chunky car, too. I read that it handles very nicely, too, with such a light engine. True? Basically I'd like something a bit cheaper than a diesel Octavia, I will not buy an Octavia III or diesel Yeti, a bit too expensive for me, to be frank.

If you have bought a facelifted Yeti 1.2 tsi please let me know your experiences with it. Oh, by the way, does this engine have 16 valves? Is the cambelt a chain or a belt? I'm not really interested in hearing lots of negatives as that is what you expect on blogs these days. Some positive comments would be nice too!

Happy and safe motoring,

Steve

I've got the 1.6tdi but I've only ever heard good things about the 1.2tsi, recurring comments that the engine surprised them the most. As for the rest of the car, well you don't get car of the year for nothing :)

A quick search on this forum will provide you with loads of information on the 1.2 Tsi. No point in repeating it all, suffice it to say that most 1.2 tsi owners are delighted with performance etc. Incidentally over 27,000 miles I have averaged 41 MPG. driving approx 10k per year in mixed rural, urban and motorway driving.

My F/L 1.2TSI Outdoor Elegance is a month old and one of the best cars Ive ever bought. The engine is nice and nippy. seating is great etc etc

I've had my Yeti about 18 months now done 14,000 miles. Over that time I've achieved an average of 39mpg. I do a lot of short journeys (5 miles or less) and few long journeys which is probably why I'm a couple of miles per gallon less than Expatman. I can't quite put my finger on why, but even with "just" the 1.2 petrol engine it is a really enjoyable car to drive - and I come from the "if it gets me from A to B, that's all I need" camp.

• Like 1

If you have bought a facelifted Yeti 1.2 tsi please let me know your experiences with it. Oh, by the way, does this engine have 16 valves? Is the cambelt a chain or a belt? I'm not really interested in hearing lots of negatives as that is what you expect on blogs these days. Some positive comments would be nice too!

Steve

Answers to your questions are; 8 Valves and it has a Cam chain.

My first Yeti was a pre face lift 1.2,  I have now my second Yeti and it is a Face lift 1.2. It is the only car I have bought twice. The engine is really fun and I used to have a 1.6 Renault that wasn't any faster than the 1.2. 

I often carry my Trials bike (about 60Kg) on a towbar rack to events and means parking in wet fields for a 2wd they're surprisingly quite capable and not been stuck yeti.   

My advice is; try one and buy one :D

• Like 1

I am into the second month of running my new FL 1.2DSG Elegance.  I am very impressed with its performance and fuel comsumption, just over 40mpg.  It is a very smooth drive and very responsive.

Hi Steve,

Good choice with swapping to the yeti, lets hope they don't spoil it in evolution.

One thing to bear in mind is your driving style. If you're used to the tourque/power delivery of a diesel then you will notice a distinct difference to the 1.2 petrol (not saying it's bad, its just a different experience to what you have got). 

I only do around 10k a year and went for a diesel as i like the power delivery, i test drove a 1.2tsi yeti after the diesel and couldn't wait to get it back to the dealer, but like i said it will suit many drivers perfectly. Plus point atm is with the current price of diesel the extra cost of the unit is more easier to swallow. 

Either way, your making a good choice, its all about fine tuning that experience i suppose. 

Edited by Darren09

Hi Darren09,

That's a fair point. I've had a small petrol turbo car before, a Clio 1.2 tce a few years back and I was happy with that. I know what  you mean with diesel oomph but I'm not the kind of driver who needs that, I mean I drive on my own 99 percent of the time with no luggage and a just a small child in the back from time to time.

I like Skoda's very much. The new Fabia is a bit small for me, and the way Skoda Polska is discounting Yeti's at the moment, it's crazy. I hope it continues until 2016. A 1.2 tsi elegance can be had for 65000zloty, that's 13000 of your English pounds. Not bad, as it's got the 17 inch Annapurna alloys and all the bells and whistles.

In Poland today, diesel is 4.95zl a litre, petrol 5zl, so no difference. 1 pound is 5zl. It's the lowest pump prices for at least 5 years here.

• 4 weeks later...

We've had our FL 1.2 manual (well, hers really) since March, and I'm impressed.  I get 39-41 mpg on a part-motorway run (at car speed, not HGV); she gets rather less overall but tends to forget about 6th gear and swears at "that silly little thing always telling me to change up".  Main point is that the engine has loosened up nicely after nearly 7000 miles, so don't judge it on a brand new demonstrator.  And 16-inch wheels are comfortable, and precise enough if you're not a trackday wannabe (and more kerb-proof than 17s).  Go for it!